New construction: She:Kon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Rick:
How did you seal the limber holes?

Left over epoxy putty. Just smeared it around with my finger. Probably two coats on each so far.

I always try to have jobs on the side that can use up glue or epoxy when I've mixed too much. Saves on waste.

I do have some basalt sleeving I'll use on the larger holes.

Took a few more lil' nibbles out of the whale today. Filled in the hole for the prop shaft support then turned my attention back to the forward cabin again.

img_481091_0_a81c6fd27a6831b8f7d5bed2ce758283.jpg

Should have the rudder & skeg back this coming week then I can finish up the arse end of this thing! :rofl:

Web log udpated: https://she-kon.blogspot.ca/2016/09/mor ... bbles.html

Standby....

Plan this morning was to get both small bulkheads in. No way, I was rolling around in the 'poxy! Frig, my left butt cheek is now waterproof and I smell like French Fries (again)! :banghead:

img_481337_0_d88d49cce56d3e4efcec8b75bc053553.jpg

Got one in. Second one tomorrow once the epoxy sets up. Just too messy & cramped to move around.

Standby...

Greetings,
Mr. SK. "Just too messy & cramped to move around." Hmmmm...sounds like you need a bigger boat...DUCK!

dsmh.gif

.... Hmmmm...sounds like you need a bigger boat...DUCK!

Oh I almost did! This is one of a few other designs we considered.

CMD Aurora 40. LOA 40', Beam 14'

img_481656_0_20872f9159157037651280475b4fc1c0.jpg

Just a bit above our max. budget which for the record is $85K. Dunno if we'll be under budget or not. Lot depends on Cdn vs US peso exchange rates.

Standby....

Good News! Rudder finally being fabricated!

img_481982_0_9644baebfa8ec2729e9651341eecd727.jpg

News, Weather & Sports @ 11! Stay Tuned! :rofl:

How are you going to finish the rudder,or did I miss that?

Rick,
Why won't those welds (ribs/frames) to rudder shaft be over stressed? Perhaps the overlay is flush w the side/edge of the shaft and greatly adds purchase to the rudder skin? From what I see I would be thinking about putting in some doubblers on the frames to shaft joint.

It's easy to get the habbit of overbuilding and getting too heavy. Is this rudder per plans?

Same question as willy. A lot of stress on a few welds. I haven't seen the inside of any rudders in a long time but would expect something more.

Rick,
Why won't those welds (ribs/frames) to rudder shaft be over stressed? Perhaps the overlay is flush w the side/edge of the shaft and greatly adds purchase to the rudder skin? From what I see I would be thinking about putting in some doubblers on the frames to shaft joint.

It's easy to get the habbit of overbuilding and getting too heavy. Is this rudder per plans?

Hi Eric

The rudder was fashioned after one that was built in Holland a few years ago. Same materials, same specs. I follow what you're saying about the frames to shaft joint and can easily add some gussets while it's all wide open. Can't hurt and it doesn't cost anything.

Cheers!

What is the percentage forward of the rudder post to aft of the rudder post? Example: if behind the post is 12" and forward is 3", the percentage is 25%.

Ted

What is the percentage forward of the rudder post to aft of the rudder post? Example: if behind the post is 12" and forward is 3", the percentage is 25%.

Hi Ted

Took this this morning.

img_483643_0_dbe701219d764bf19424e24e284eaaed.jpg

From the center of the shaft it's 4-1/2" and 15-12" behind or approx. 29%

Rick,

Hi Eric

The rudder size wise is to spec from designer. He doesn't suggest a manufacturing method just dimensions and materials. The other's I've seen don't have any added reinforcement. But.........

img_483647_0_522caff590dc3bb0faa1ba639a9e7ce6.jpg

I did add some gussets. I had scraps laying around so it was a virtually no-cost addition. Dunno if that's what you had in mind.

Web log updated: https://she-kon.blogspot.ca/2016/09/more-rudder-skeg.html

Hi Ted

Took this this morning.

img_483739_0_dbe701219d764bf19424e24e284eaaed.jpg

From the center of the shaft it's 4-1/2" and 15-12" behind or approx. 29%

:thumb:

Up to about 20 knots, if you put 25 to 28% of what's behind the shaft, in front of the shaft, you should be pretty close to balanced (easiest to steer). The slower you go, the less it matters. You may continue. :rolleyes:

Ted

A little extra weight down low will help keep'er upright. :D

:thumb:

Up to about 20 knots, if you put 25 to 28% of what's behind the shaft, in front of the shaft, you should be pretty close to balanced (easiest to steer). The slower you go, the less it matters. You may continue. :rolleyes:

Hmmmm? 20 kts? I think the only time we're likey to see 20 kts is when we leave the crest of Niagara Falls! :rofl:

This is a displacement hull. Max speed likely to be 7.5 kts wide open! :dance:

Had to open up one of the shed doors to get the trailer in and offload the engine. This is what I found!

img_484419_0_a3f851f0ccac715e3621caa4ba68e59e.jpg

I have to admit. It is impressive when you get to stand back and see the whole thing!

Few more mental wanderings on today's web log update: https://she-kon.blogspot.ca/2016/09/the-lil-engine.html

Carry on....

So my plan to use a home made boom to lift the engine into the boat doesn't seem to be workable.

img_485010_0_debbf87760d1d0a15ae51d9e75ae6b6b.jpg

I'll tinker with the skeg etc. next week but that's gonna be it for the season. See you all in the spring!

Last Web log update for 2016: https://she-kon.blogspot.ca/2016/10/boom-fail.html

Cheers!

When you startup again in the spring consider hiring a crane to set the engine. I'm willing to bet if you shop around a bit this winter you can find it can happen for less than $300 or so max. Less obvious places to contact are tow or sign companies, HVAC mechanical or electrical contractors. PM me if you need more ideas along these lines.

Good winter to ya Rick

Have a good winter Rick.
Rudder looks good.
You're probably ready for a break .... right?

Craig's idea is excellent. Perhaps an air conditioner installer or a truss builder. They would have a long boom .. perhaps 60'. You're engone is a Yanmar is'nt it? Or perhaps two tripods and a horizontal beam to slide the hookup along? It would be fun to dream someth'in up but stay safe whatever.

You can post on other threads too.

Winter .... got books?

A picker truck and operator would only cost a couple of hundred dollars.

Hibernate peacefully my friend.

I'm sure you'll find plenty of stuff to do over the winter, some might even be boat related! Good progress this year, keep at it Rick. Hibernate, LOL!

My buddy Matt asked me for an overview pic of the boat.

"Only the greatest minds have the messiest desks!" - Albert Einstein

img_495659_0_6368f2a39e779ab604fcd8bd4804a0f6.jpg

It's really organized chaos and not really messy! :rofl:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom