Engine room painting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gordon B

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Moonstruck
Vessel Make
41' Defever
Hi to all,
Sometime within the next few months after some other projects I want to paint the engine room on our Defever 41. My co-captain(wife) is concerned about spray painting in an enclosed space. I thought brush painting might be way too time consuming.
How do you guys tackle this?

Thanks

Personally, I'd use a brush. No need to mask every inch, can get around corners and into spots a spray couldn't and spraying in an engine room the concentration of mist would be very high. I'd still ventilate with a fan or something but I would brush.

Ken

I have done several boats using Interlux Bilge Coat, really like it. I used Extreme Simple Green diluted 1:1 to clean out the oil residue first. Used a 3" foam foller and throw away chip brushes. It goes quickly using the roller. Instead of using maskng tape exclusively, I masked most everything with aluminum foil. If goes on easily and does not need to be taped on, just crush it tightly around whatever you don't want to paint. Also it comes off quicker than tape when ou are done painting.

Thank you. I will be brush painting. The foil tip is great.

Thanks again
Gordo

Instead of using maskng tape exclusively, I masked most everything with aluminum foil. It goes on easily and does not need to be taped on, just crush it tightly around whatever you don't want to paint. Also, it comes off quicker than tape when you are done painting.
I've had my ER done by professionals and that's the way they mask. 100% with a brush and the finished job looks like factory.:blush:

Wear a mask

Please make sure to take the appropriate precautions. I have used bilge coat in my ER and Laz before. It's some very strong stuff. Make sure to wear a mask that is designed for airborne chemicals.

I have some peeling paint in my bilge. How should I prep before repainting with Bilgekote?

Just sand and coat, or.....?

I mix Extreme Simple Green 1:1, spray on, scrub, rinse and repeat. I scraped any loose paint off first. I do not necessarily sand and have had no issue with the bilge coat peeling off. So far it has held up well for about 3 years.

I would suggest (having learned the hard way) two things:

1. Wear a mask that filters fumes, not just particles;
  2. Rent a blower and run the suction line into your ER, otherwise you'll blow fumes all over your vessel.

Clean the bilge with scrub brushes, toilet brushes, fridge lint or radiator brushes. Loosen up the scum scale and vac dry. Set fan blowing into bilge to dry it out. If you can't locate a pvc tube you can make one using large plastic trash bags and cutting the end off and taping them together end to end. It makes one long crushable, movable, flexible air duct to get the fumes and dust up and out of boat.

Regarding spraying. Unless you have commercial grade masks and training. Don't. In such a confined space it can be if not lethal very bad for lungs getting coated with paint.

I use the mentioned 'hot dog' rollers. They get into corners, through limberholes and around things a brush can't.

"I have some peeling paint in my bilge. How should I prep before repainting with Bilgekote? "

If it is actually the bottom of the hull, NOT painting would allow for inspection of the hull condition .

4" roller and a brush are the way to go. The roller is narrow enough to follow the rounded contours of the hull, but carries more paint and covers faster. Use the brush for cutting in as you would when painting a room in a house. If you can put your hands on several shop vacs with long hoses, position them just outside the cabin at one end of the engine room. They will create an air flow from the other end. Start at the suction end and work toward the fresh air end. If you have a tool rental company near by, they often rent ventilation blowers with 12" exhaust hoses. That would be ideal! Absolutely recommend a painting mask with a charcoal filter.

Ted

Must do's are the proper filter for fumes, charcoal, and ventilation from a blower used to suck.
The charcoal mask filters are good for one day or untill you start to get even a whiff of fumes. Change twice a day if the fumes are heavy. Do not reuse as moisture will load them making them useless.

Yes, I know I'm just repeating what has already been said but this is a serious safety hazard and will make you very sick, maybe permanently, if not done properly.

Best would be a full hood with supplied air as apparently even your eyes will absorb vapours. Not good for the eyes.

And get out of the E.R. frequently.

Last edited:
Better yet, get the wife to do it.;)

Seriously though, I painted my bilges gray over the original white about a year ago......big mistake. Much better area reflection with white. I'll be changing them back.

We're looking at a DeFever like yours. Care to share your thoughts about it via PM?

Thansk

Back
Top Bottom