Yachting? or Boating?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Moonstruck

Guru
Vessel Name
Moonstruck
Vessel Make
Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
That would definitely be boating this week.* My son, David, came down with me this week to help*catch up on some deferred maintenance on the boat.* Finished up installing the Weaver winch to get the dinghy up.* (by the way, Tim, I think that I will bite the bullet and order a front arc as well.* The transom arc really gets the weight off the tubes.)

Replaceing all the zippers in the rear helm deck enclosure.* Adding a stern light at the top of the helm deck hardtop.* This will not be obscured with the dinghy stowed vertically.* Then the regular stuff doing annual service on the engines and generator.

We live 11 hours away from the boat. Sometimes we just have to take some time and catch up.* Somehow, even when boating the bills make it feel like yachting.

Definately Yachting when you have to buy something.** JohnP

One could argue yachting is anything you do with a boat that can be considered pleasurable that is an activity that's centered around boating.

One could also argue that it's only activity within a social group called a yacht club.

Well I've never been known as a yachtsman and I've never been a member of a yacht club. I have been a member of several boating clubs. But after living in Alaska for a number of years I feel very much a yachtsman. Boaters here in Alaska have one thing in mind and it's not navagation, painting, propellers and gears, landing a boat, anchoring or all the other boaty stuff it's fishing that they have in mind. That's it. They learn what's needed to do the fishing. The comercial fisherman next to me spends time on his boat but when he's there he listens to music, runs his engine and all the fishing gear. He runs his engine at high idle alot. He works on pumps, fish tanks, hydraulic fishing reels (gurdies) and other fishing stuff. I don't know for sure if I've ever seen hom working on the boat itself. I once asked him which way his boat pulled in reverse and he said "I do'nt know** ..I just back it in". Fishermen know when you make a manouver, put the boat in reverse and hammer the throttle the boat does what it does but most don't care about why and don't want to spend any time talking about it either. So IF there's a yachtsman in Thorne Bay I'm it.

I call it boating.* A yacht is anything I can't afford.* Right now my boat is bordering on being a yacht!
smile.gif

superdiver wrote:
no matter what you call it, it is spending money. Things in water WILL DETERIORATE PERIOD...

Including your teeth, just saying ..... as your friendly local dentist, think about it...
*In my case it's the bank account that deteriorated the fastest!

Depends...

If I'm talking about going out with the guys fishing, it's a boat.

If I'm singing the praises of ownership and dismissing the high costs to my wife, it's a yacht.

To the insurance man, it's a boat.

To the banker, it's a yacht.

To the mechanic, it's just another engine.

To me, it's priceless!

I always heard that a ship was something you could put a boat on.

Or was it?

So I cary the dink on board.

Is my boat a ship a yacht or what?

You see where this can go don't you?

To much to ponder it makes my teeth itch.

SD

SD

A ship (here the Rottendam, carrying and amid various boats and a seaplane):

232323232%7Ffp538%3B2%3Enu%3D3363%3E33%3A%3E57%3B%3EWSNRCG%3D34%3B2%3A28693336nu0mrj

A boat:

232323232%7Ffp537%3C7%3Enu%3D3363%3E33%3A%3E57%3B%3EWSNRCG%3D34%3B2%3A28695336nu0mrj

A yacht:

232323232%7Ffp537%3C9%3Enu%3D3363%3E33%3A%3E57%3B%3EWSNRCG%3D34%3B29%3A%3B8%3A2336nu0mrj

-- Edited by markpierce on Thursday 7th of April 2011 02:43:37 PM

"Yacht" is the word you use to describe your boat to people you're absolutely certain will never lay eyes on it.

Thanks for that mark.

How do you do that. Got some kind of photo library?

I just posted my comments a bit ago.

I'm not worthy.

SD

skipperdude wrote:
Thanks for that mark.

How do you do that. Got some kind of photo library?
*I have free photo-library accounts at Snapfish, Shutterfly, and Photobucket for storing my photos.* I merely copied and pasted some photos*from last year's*SE Alaskan cruise photos.* This is only one of the ways to post photos here.

i used to think a yacht was something in the 60'+ range power boat but have found that sailboats and their owners can also be considered yachts and yacht-owners.

now a ship, i read somewhere a ship is a vessel over a certain length (fairly large by our standard).

my wife sometimes mistakenly think we are yacht owners, that is until i give her the sandpaper, varnish/brush and show her where to start...

I don't even want to know people who consider it yachting.*
biggrin.gif

As long as the CO of an aircraft carrier calls his rig a boat, I am reluctant to call mine a ship, much less a yacht.

Dude wrote that Peggy wrote:

""Yacht" is the word you use to describe your boat to people you're absolutely certain will never lay eyes on it." She must be a Capricorn. Cautious Cappy is what they call them. Married to one. I just ran a mini survey of "List All Users" and there are only 2 that have somewhat questionable "yacht" status but they both use their boats as yachts so I'm going to declare it so. Anything one declares on this forum usually gets quickly undeclared so I'm not going to bet the farm on this one. On the first 3 pages of "List All Users" there are (to the best of my knowledge) 3 members that have no boat*** ...Sailor of Fortune, Rick B and Peggy Hall. I know not if they desire to be considered Yachties but the rest of us are in possession of yachts and are thus yachtsmen. There are people out there (sail boaters) that think a sail boat is a yacht and everything else is to be considered just boats. Where on earth did they get such a notion???

Delfin wrote:
As long as the CO of an aircraft carrier calls his rig a boat, I am reluctant to call mine a ship, much less a yacht.
Isn't the CO of a carrier always of the brown shoe Navy?* Of course an airdale would call a carrier a boat.

Well I was certianly an airdale and I certianly call an Aircraft Carrier a SHIP.

nomadwilly wrote:
Well I was certianly an airdale and I certianly call an Aircraft Carrier a SHIP.
*Me too!

That's me in the middle with my left arm accross my chest, on the SHIP.

Attachments

• me & enterprise.jpg
    me & enterprise.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 110
nomadwilly wrote:
Yeah, but not everyone has the same reverence for airplanes, cars, boats (ships), rockets, etc. that the members of this forum seem to have.

I like the term Patrick O'Brien's characters Preserved Killick and Barrett Bonden used* - "Let's get back to the barkey, mate!"

My best friend and boating buddy just bought a cabin on Binka lake up in the Talketna mountains. He doesn't own a boat but comes with me on mine. When he got the cabin I told him "I am so happy for us"

You don't have to own a boat if you have friends with one.**Cheaper that way.

SD

Delfin wrote:
*I don't think the CO would begrudge you if you labeled your vessel a yacht.* The CO's boat is utilitarian, while yours has beds, cushioned seats, complete kitchen, and likely a well-stocked bar.

Back
Top Bottom