KK42 Kitchen Post Structural?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Arthurc

Guru
Vessel Name
Sea Bear
Vessel Make
Kadey-Krogen 54
Hi,
Does anyone know if the KK42's kitchen post (right under the mast)is structural? Im planning to redo the counter tops and remove the upper cabinets and wondering if I an pull it off even if just to replace it. The odd thing is that its barely connected to the upper cabinets on an my83 so curious if its maybe just for downwards force and not really needed?

Thoughts?

Thanks
Arthur

Hi,
Does anyone know if the KK42's kitchen post (right under the mast)is structural? Im planning to redo the counter tops and remove the upper cabinets and wondering if I an pull it off even if just to replace it. The odd thing is that its barely connected to the upper cabinets on an my83 so curious if its maybe just for downwards force and not really needed?

Thoughts?

Thanks
Arthur

Probably. If the boat has a mast, it is..you should be able to remove it to replace the top...but definitely put it back.
Hollywood

The mast actually sits back about a foot from that post on a block that spreads the load across 2-3 of the bridge deck stringers. As you noticed it is not installed as you would expect if it was structural. I don't believe that it is, but when I modified the galley I did reinstall a custom shorter one. If you look very closely you will notice it is also not plumb. The bottom is about 1/2" to port vs. top! I've seen this on more than just mine.

Thanks! Agreed putting something there is wise even if just as something to hold onto.
AC

..If you look very closely you will notice it is also not plumb. The bottom is about 1/2" to port vs. top! I've seen this on more than just mine.

I remember that when you were getting ready to pull yours. You pointed out ours wasn't plum from the pictures I sent. Now I can't sleep thinking about it. :lol:

All the above.
I certainly consider it structural.

Mine too has a 1/8" gap bewteen the top and the roof, BUT it's certainly not there to hold the roof down, but to keep the mast out of the salon under extraordinary conditions.

Actually had this discussion with Larry Polstar from KK at a boat show,and he said it is structural.

Back
Top Bottom