What is your pet peeve about your boat?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Flybridge drainage - lack thereof. The remaining 50% of staple attached fabric headliner that prevents reasonable overhead access for wire runs, deck fitting repairs, etc.

O' La LA! :dance:

Gee Art, I didn't know that sort of thing tickled your fancy. As a letter carrier I get to see many different kinds of magazines and in one of them there were advertisements for men's size 12 stiletto pumps, as well as delectably plump strap-on derrieres and busty bits. Ya know, if you're interested in that sort of thing :D

Gee Art, I didn't know that sort of thing tickled your fancy. As a letter carrier I get to see many different kinds of magazines and in one of them there were advertisements for men's size 12 stiletto pumps, as well as delectably plump strap-on derrieres and busty bits. Ya know, if you're interested in that sort of thing :D

My statement of "O' La La!"... was meant toward Wifey B. I'm perfectly happy standing 6'3 in my leather Cow Boy Boots. Much rather be aboard boat to go bare footed swimming, sometimes with fins on, though!

My statement of "O' La La!"... was meant toward Wifey B. I'm perfectly happy standing 6'3 in my leather Cow Boy Boots. Much rather be aboard boat to go bare footed swimming, sometimes with fins on, though!

Wifey B: Fins on.....:rofl: Now, he's trying to be a mermaid. :D

Oooo, Ooooo, I finally got one! The seating in the saloon is not as comfortable as it could be. There's just not room. The engine hatches don't leave enough around them to put in a proper couch.

And one minor one, maybe FOG can tell me if this is all Prairie 36's or just mine: There's a pair of drains through the bulwarks on each side deck, but there's a spot halfway between them that's a little lower, where water collects. There should be another drain there, but there isn't. It almost looks like it originally had one that someone glassed over.

As for stairs, our feet have pretty much gotten used to them now, and I don't think about it. They do feel a little "off" at first. I'd also love inside access to the flybridge, but would never part with the space it would take up.

With a full vinyl enclosure, flybridge drainage isn't an issue for me, but I've been thinking about caulking around the seating bases just in case. If I do that I'll figure out a way to add some drainage at the low spots - good suggestion.

Right now it's because it's still on the yard .:eek:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    152.6 KB · Views: 80
Right now it's because it's still on the yard .:eek:

Ya, I hate that part about boats, too!

My boat's peccadilloes are:

Deck drainage is less than stellar

Salon is narrow due to wide side decks (gotta love those, though)

Sometimes I wish I had a hundred more horses for a bit more gitty-up

Better sound and vibration insulation would be appreciated

I will also complain about poor flybridge drainage, but I have a plan for that, now all I need is the time and motivation. The main complaint I have about the design of our boat is the size of the flybridge. It is too small and as a result I spend most of our cruising time up there by myself. I guess it's true, size does matter. LOL

That it is about ten feet two short, and around three to four feet too narrow. Other than that, the fact that my wife and I both have permanent scars on our shins from hitting the darn latch in the cockpit that keeps the saloon door open. Sadly, no other place to put it.
You're way to young to retire my friend, so keep slugging it out. Lots of people have to work 'til 60 or even 65!. Always seems to be a few extra boating bruises after a trip...

Airplanes are fun. I've seen quite a few DC3's converted to "yachts".

There used to be a Catalina PBY5A converted to a boat in Airlie Beach years ago. It still had the landing gear in it and functional so they could lower the gear and let it go dry or just winch it up onto the land.

The only things I really don't like on our boat is the lack of water storage and the poor access to the outboard sides of the engines,

Brett

Wet head and no galley , but sure do love the covered aft deck and walk through door to engine room . It's all a trade off.

I'd have just liked an autopilot, oh, and RADAR. Purely because I think the RADAR would be fun. Example...to visitor/guests..."see that boat over there...that's it, that dot right there on the screen...neat eh?" Not much use otherwise where and when we boat, so couldn't justify.

Auto helm. Same issue. Seldom out of narrow winding channels. But on the odd occasions when we get out into more open water, (from my yachting days, where I had an Auto Helm 1000), I know they are really useful. Maybe as the boat won't sell, if we take her up north to more open waters when I retire...hmmmmm...

No indoor access to the pilothouse. "Yet", that is. It's true that the bridge deck could drain a bit better.

I guess the grass is always greener, but when I spec'd my boat, I paid extra and gave up some interior space to have an interior access to the FB. Looks great, and it is convenient, but in retrospect, it was a waste of money and space. The amount of time/convenience saved by not having to use the aft access isn't worth it. Only bigger waste I am aware of is upgrading a Tesla to "ludicrous" capability -- it is a purely software upgrade that allows the car to go from zero to 60 a little faster. Instead of 3.1 seconds, with Ludicrous it takes only 2.8 seconds. Problem is, it costs $10K for the upgrade.

Wifey B: Ok, on our loop boat....here it is. The fact the washer and dryer are in the trunk. :lol: And you have to walk outdoors to use them. :mad:

There is a crew cabin/lazarette combo with access from the swim platform. So you have to haul everything from the cabins on the lower deck up to the salon, out to the steps, down to the platform, and into this area and the reverse when finished. :nonono: The only way to fit them on the lower deck (well they are but you can't get there from here like) would be to eliminate a cabin. There's just no other spot.

I've always felt that a boat is a floating bucket full of compromises that you ....

...Only bigger waste I am aware of is upgrading a Tesla to "ludicrous" capability -- it is a purely software upgrade that allows the car to go from zero to 60 a little faster. Instead of 3.1 seconds, with Ludicrous it takes only 2.8 seconds. Problem is, it costs $10K for the upgrade.
But it`s .3 of a second saved! Do that 10 times in a week and you saved 3 seconds. In just one week! For only $10K!:rolleyes: Wonder how 0-60 in 2.8 secs affects range.
In Amsterdam the Tesla is the equivalent of a Ford Victoria , ie it`s a taxi. But, they are very quiet, and very quick.

For me its the internal doors. Three of them have just 6' clearance, and at 6'1" i need to lean/bend/slouch a little at the right time when going through the doorway. I mostly do it, but clearly I'm still close to hitting. How do I know that? Well it happens occasionally that its cold enough to need to wear long pants, and as a result some slippers also. Those times I invariably collect one of the door frames....

There is room to enlarge the openings add a couple of inches to the doors etc. But for now the preferred solution is to be somewhere warmer. I'm 2 months into a 3 month trip on the Great Barrier Reef and environs. So another gripe is that I only have a month left before returning back to home base! I will accept your sympathy for this......

There were light winds last week so I spent 5 days at various locations on the Outer Reef. Kinda cool to be anchored out there and have 360° water views with nearest land 30-40 miles to the west. There were often some coral lumps at low tide, but that's all. Pic is floatplane landing inside Hardy Reef, bringing day-trippers out for diving/snorkelling. It was just prior to low tide and I was in the 50m+ deep channel between Hook Reef and Hardy Reef when taking the pic, near the bend in the Andrew Watson pic.

Attachments

• IMG_1445 copy.jpg
    IMG_1445 copy.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 57
  • A1210987-Great-Barrier-Reef.jpg
    A1210987-Great-Barrier-Reef.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
For me its the internal doors. Three of them have just 6' clearance, and at 6'1" i need to lean/bend/slouch a little at the right time when going through the doorway. I mostly do it, but clearly I'm still close to hitting. How do I know that? Well it happens occasionally that its cold enough to need to wear long pants, and as a result some slippers also. Those times I invariably collect one of the door frames....

There is room to enlarge the openings add a couple of inches to the doors etc. But for now the preferred solution is to be somewhere warmer. I'm 2 months into a 3 month trip on the Great Barrier Reef and environs. So another gripe is that I only have a month left before returning back to home base! I will accept your sympathy for this......

There were light winds last week so I spent 5 days at various locations on the Outer Reef. Kinda cool to be anchored out there and have 360° water views with nearest land 30-40 miles to the west. There were often some coral lumps at low tide, but that's all. Pic is floatplane landing inside Hardy Reef, bringing day-trippers out for diving/snorkelling. It was just prior to low tide and I was in the 50m+ deep channel between Hook Reef and Hardy Reef when taking the pic, near the bend in the Andrew Watson pic.

Ok, for subjecting us to that bit of sadism Brian, I condemn thee to lopping 6 inches out of each shin bone. That will solve your head banging problem, and it won't hurt that much...not really... :D

I guess my one pet peeve are the beds. Would like the same layout with a normal queen size mattress and the second stateroom with normal twin size mattresses.

Ted

Two things get me... One is the size of the showers is small for a boat of this size. The second is that the water slapping on the hull is very loud.

There's plenty of things I wish were a bit different, but isn't that all in the compromises?

My pet peeve is that every single flush lift ring in the boat is Backwards! I mean you actually have to rotate your finger around to be able to lift it up. Someday I'll spend the time to re-mortis every one in the other way.

Ken

Today, my biggest issue is no Air Conditioner. I work from home and with the windows down and a fan on, it's still 92.

The refrigerator is too ***n small. Bigger requires a custom build from Sea Freeze, or a saws all to cut counter and cabinets and then refinishing.

Other than limited engine access ( which I've improved somewhat), I'm totally happy with my boat. It suits my needs perfectly. (well - It will be perfect as soon as I finish my project list)

We are quite used to each other, she's high maintenance, needs constant attention, has a few quirks and I am not 100% sure I know all there is to know about her. But she puts up with me and takes me where i want to go, and friends thinks she is teriffic.

I wouldn't have it any other way.

We are quite used to each other, she's high maintenance, needs constant attention, has a few quirks and I am not 100% sure I know all there is to know about her. But she puts up with me and takes me where i want to go, and friends thinks she is teriffic.

I wouldn't have it any other way.

Nicely stated! :thumb:

I/we feel similar toward our Tolly! :dance:

Back
Top Bottom