Electronic Logbooks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That is odd. iCloud is such an obvious way to go. Wasn't aware that they originally used the cloud.

Dave, I agree about using iTunes. However, it works, even for a relic like me.

I just purchased Ship Shape; like the looks of it, as well.

I would be interested in you impression of Shipshape. It looks good and I like the ability to have it backed up on Dropbox. I really like apps that will cross platforms such as eWallet which I can use on all my PCs, android phone, and iPad seamlessly. That is the model I wish more developers would take.

I just do the maintenance stuff on logs, with Excel on my Mac, and works fine. I don't do individual trip logs, but keep track of time/calendar items. I also have a data base for parts and info mostly for maintenance in File Maker Pro, also works well.

I don't like an IOS device for this stuff... just too small. And 99% of the time I buy parts a schedule maintenance from my desk, not the boat or on the road.

But would consider a good app.....

I don't how many of you this would apply to, but one thing I like about Ship Shape is that you can manage more than one vessel from it. We have three boats (I know, I know...) to maintain. We have our new (to us) trawler, an old O'Day 25 trailerable sloop (some habits you just can't shake) and a '56 CC woody. Being able to manage multiple boats also helps me keep track of sea time for USCG. A few years ago when I earned a 50 ton Masters rating I had a difficult time recapturing my time, even though I had over 40 years of sailing under my belt.

I'll be happy to share my results with you.

Cheers!

I mostly use ShipShape to record trips, which includes a narrative of the trip, photos, miles, and engine hours. This information can be sorted, filtered, printed, or saved as PDF. I have also used this program to inventory major components and systems, going through each room, locker, etc., taking pictures and noting its location. For example the washer/dryer is in a guest stateroom locker; the Seaward water heater in the engine room, etc. I usually take two pictures, one of the item and the other of the label showing the model and serial number. The pics are stored in the program and get backed up to Dropbox. If I ever have a loss due to fire, theft, etc., I have proof for the insurance claim.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom