New refrigerator, Vitrifrigo?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Donna

Guru
Vessel Name
Southerly
Vessel Make
1986 Marine Trader 36' Sundeck
I am replacing an obsolete Norcold and am ready to have a new one installed. I am leaning toward the Vitrifrigo DP-2600.

Anyone have this make? Thoughts?

It will fit and have had a marine guy come out and give me a price that I can live with for the fridge and installation since I can't possibly do it myself.

If I am not mistaken, Vitrifrigo is the Italian parent company of the Frigoboat line of marine refrigerators. Frigoboat is the system of choice of Island Packet and other big builders.

I long ago gave up on expensive so called marine fridges. Replaced my Norcold with an apartment size Summit fridge. Even has self defrost with an interior light. Try to find those features in over rated marine stuff.

Sure, it operates on AC but today one can purchase a 2KW true sine wave inverterter on EBay for under $200. So add the $500 cost for the fridge and the total for fridge and inverter is about 1/2 the cost for a marine replacement that offers fewer features.

OH-- the Summit fit almost perfectly into the vacated hole left by the Norcold.

I went the same route as foggysail and have been 100% satisfied, 10 years and going strong.

Greetings,
Ms. D. I am in full agreement with Messrs. f & JC. Go domestic/non marine. When our last fridge (domestic) died, we looked into a "marine" unit. WOW! Talk about sticker shock. We already have an inverter on board so ~$300 (Home Despot) as compared to ~$1500 was a no-brainer in our case.

I have two vertifrigo's one is just a fridge the other has the drawers freezer/fridge I believe the DW180 has died after 8 years of service and now replacing as well, they claim this usually happens with power surges I can't go with the household versions since mine is short. Maybe the inverter power is more stable. Thoughts
Gregg

We just decided on a Vitrifrigo for our new American Tug. I hated the look of the standard NovaKool and it uses a single Danfoss BD 35 compressor for both the fridge and freezer. There are lots of reports of the NovaKool not keeping temperature in warm climates...
It then came down to a Vitrifrigo or a Webasto unit with 2 of the Danfoss BD compressors, one each for fridge and freezer. After hearing a few stories of failed Vitrifrigo units and seeing what is obviously superior insulation in the Webasto unit we thought we would ask for that unit, the Cruise 195 in stainless steel.
Then we went to the Newport Boat Show. We saw the Webasto unit in person and we where less than impressed.
We then found the Vitrifrigo model we had considered and that was that. Vitrifrigo it is! It is a much better looking unit and if it proves to be a problem child, I can deal with it! I've tamed much more difficult things in my life.
As for the insulation, well, if I am back next year complaining about energy consumption, you can remind me that we wanted a good looking unit...
Bruce

Just bought a 2600, installing it next week.

Shipped nicely and worked when plugged into the wall.

Be careful with the measurements...they are all over the map incorrect (usually withing fractions of an inch but even a 1/4 inch can screw you depending on your existing cutout.

Even the Vitrifrigo tech in Florida gave me a useless measurement. I measured where the top install frame plus the rubber feet make it 3/8 inch taller than his and the advertised cutout dimension.

Looks as good as the next...doesn't have as many features of the Norcold (at least that I can tell) and with the Norcold using Danfoss compressors now...they may be as good or better...but the reviews just killed them...I will probably see in the long run one way or another.

Last edited:
We just decided on a Vitrifrigo for our new American Tug. I hated the look of the standard NovaKool and it uses a single Danfoss BD 35 compressor for both the fridge and freezer. There are lots of reports of the NovaKool not keeping temperature in warm climates...
It then came down to a Vitrifrigo or a Webasto unit with 2 of the Danfoss BD compressors, one each for fridge and freezer. After hearing a few stories of failed Vitrifrigo units and seeing what is obviously superior insulation in the Webasto unit we thought we would ask for that unit, the Cruise 195 in stainless steel.
Then we went to the Newport Boat Show. We saw the Webasto unit in person and we where less than impressed.
We then found the Vitrifrigo model we had considered and that was that. Vitrifrigo it is! It is a much better looking unit and if it proves to be a problem child, I can deal with it! I've tamed much more difficult things in my life.
As for the insulation, well, if I am back next year complaining about energy consumption, you can remind me that we wanted a good looking unit...
Bruce

Since you are having your boat built north, you should check into Seafreeze they are out of Bellingham and build a pretty bulletproof refrigeration system Sea Freeze of America - Marine Refrigeration - Refrigerators

I have used these guys for several years and have never had a failure. We have one on the Defever. and it's low amp draw and a very low duty cycle... It's a very well insulated box...

Since you are having your boat built north, you should check into Seafreeze they are out of Bellingham and build a pretty bulletproof refrigeration system Sea Freeze of America - Marine Refrigeration - Refrigerators

I have used these guys for several years and have never had a failure. We have one on the Defever. and it's low amp draw and a very low duty cycle... It's a very well insulated box...

I think I've seen these here before somewhere. They appear to concentrate on insulation! It appears to me that all of these companies use Danfoss compressors in their refrigerator/freezer units so other than thermostats and insulation they are similar...
In the end we really like the look of the Vitrifrigo so I think we will leave it at that. The people at AT already believe that there is something "wrong" with me and I don't want to keep changing my mind...
Bruce

I think I've seen these here before somewhere. They appear to concentrate on insulation! It appears to me that all of these companies use Danfoss compressors in their refrigerator/freezer units so other than thermostats and insulation they are similar...
In the end we really like the look of the Vitrifrigo so I think we will leave it at that. The people at AT already believe that there is something "wrong" with me and I don't want to keep changing my mind...
Bruce

The difference is the evap plates they use... The freezer uses the standard stamped light weight evaporator, The refer uses what looks like a cold plate.

Oh jeez, totally confused now! I cannot install it myself, just don't have the muscle to throw it over the rails and squeeze it through the door and go go down a few steps to the galley. I HAVE TO hire it out.

I think I'll just bite the 2000.00 bullet and go with Vitrifrigo.

Oh jeez, totally confused now! I cannot install it myself, just don't have the muscle to throw it over the rails and squeeze it through the door and go go down a few steps to the galley. I HAVE TO hire it out.

if you install and it stinks...quick let me know as mine is still sitting on the shipping pallet....:D

You have 7 days to report around.....:lol:

if you install and it stinks...quick let me know as mine is still sitting on the shipping pallet....:D

You have 7 days to report around.....:lol:

LOL!!! I can have it installed on Wednesday. The same day my countertop icemaker is due to arrive. I have a ton of counter space.

LOL!!! I can have it installed on Wednesday. The same day my countertop icemaker is due to arrive. I have a ton of counter space.

Ok...when we hit Palm Coast in early January, we will have to compare cold beers....:thumb:

We are in the process of pulling out SubZeros and putting in two Vitrifrigo 210s, one all fridge one all freezer. We got tired of sitting on the floor to get in the boxes, so drawers were too good to pass up. I researched all the dual voltage options. Hopefully made the right decision. Time will tell.

Anyone in my area want two almost new SubZeros?

I would really like that!

Deal...we often stop at Marineland, so we will have to meet half way with thermal temp guns and figure out who warmed up quicker.....

Ooops, the perverts on this site will have a field day with this post....:D

I just replaced my old Norcold with a new Norcold. What can I say? It fit in the hole. The price was astonishing. I'm a marine dealer so I can get it Wholesale. $1800 CAD plus freight. I installed it myself, pretty easy, and not too heavy. It is about 1/4 as noisy as the possibly 40 year old reject, and runs about 1/2 as much. My friend who we often raft with says he sleeps much better now that we have a new quieter fridge!

Love our two drawer Vitrifrigo. It's been running 24/7 for 5 months/yr for a couple of years now (solar panels). Fit in the same space (with minor modifications) as our old Nevercold.

Attachments

• Vitrifrigo.jpeg
    Vitrifrigo.jpeg
    104.8 KB · Views: 300
I just replaced my old Norcold with a new Norcold. What can I say? It fit in the hole. The price was astonishing. I'm a marine dealer so I can get it Wholesale. $1800 CAD plus freight. I installed it myself, pretty easy, and not too heavy. It is about 1/4 as noisy as the possibly 40 year old reject, and runs about 1/2 as much. My friend who we often raft with says he sleeps much better now that we have a new quieter fridge!

HOLY SMOKY!!!!! Your fridge bothered someone rafted with you????

Heck, I cannot hear much at all but Wifey can hear a flea poop but she cannot hear our Summit! Yes, I do rave about it especially with its self defrost feature along with having a lighted interior when the door is opened.

Marine fridges must have hidden mystic properties that keep their manufacturers in business but they cannot fool all the people all the time! :D

I think the key in comparing a domestic 120v fridge to a 12v/120v marine unit would be the differences in energy draw. I don't want to run a genset at night and my wife needs to use her CPAP. Until I get a 12v CPAP for her, I need to run the inverter at night to keep it powered. I am not sure that adding the load of a 120v reefer wouldn't be a bit too much.

So, while domestic units may be great, I think they would take more power than a 12v/120v convertible.

We went with the Isotherm/Webasto. The Admiral liked the freezer on the bottom, I liked that it had one compressor for the frig and one compressor for the freezer.
BTW it has an interior light so I can find my beer without turning on the cabin lights. :thumb:

Attachments

• iwm-refrigerator-CRUISE-195-620_02.jpg
    iwm-refrigerator-CRUISE-195-620_02.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 120
The main reason many people pay for the marine unit is because of carpentry and space usage.

I didn't want to lose convenient pantry space and do that much carpentry at this time.

Had the fridge been newer and worked better, I might have held out till a complete galley makeover....but life is too short and the cist is offset by all the other projects I have done/do....

"Replaced my Norcold with an apartment size Summit fridge. Even has self defrost with an interior light."

Some of the features of house fridges are not welcome on a cruising boat.

Interior space is kept as large as possible , by using very thin insulation.

This requires heating wires on the insulation and along the door seals.

This electric is no problem at the power pole but adds considerably when running with an inverter and its 10%-15% power loss.

Before purchase simplt get the model number and look online for the schematic to see weather heating wires are installed.

K street has made the power consumption of the heating setup NOT part of the annual KW shown on the sticker.

House fridges are usually NOT built into a closed area and may require extra fans to remove the heat of operation.

Some marine units vent into the cabin , solving this boxed in problem.

Caviat Emptor

Last edited:
"Replaced my Norcold with an apartment size Summit fridge. Even has self defrost with an interior light."

This electric is no problem at the power pole but adds considerably when running with an inverter and its 10%-15% power loss.

Before purchase simplt get the model number and look online for the schematic to see weather heating wires are installed.

K street has made the power consumption of the heating setup NOT part of the annual KW shown on the sticker.

House fridges are usually NOT built into a closed area and may require extra fans to remove the heat of operation.

Caviat Emptor

Ok, so how much power consumption does this add? Not interested in amps, KWs per year.

Ted

What kind/size of boat? What is the electrical system(s). What are your needs. Style of boat use? How much space allocated for a refer?

i have 3 Engle 12v units 2 refer, 1 freezer allocated all run full solar most of the time. I have a friend that has a huge domestic 110v powered by a monster battery bank and inverters.

One extreme to the other, so what are your needs?

Last edited:

Good choice. Mine are two years old and are prefect. Both the Fridge and freezer keep temp within a few degrees of hwere set.

Also, compressors are ver quiet. They consume about 60 watts per hour for both.

Spend the extra money and get the variable voltage regulator.

BTW, Vitrifrigos are still made in Italy. Isotherms are made in both Italy and China.

Richard

Last edited:

Caviat Emptor

I do not advocate just going to a local appliance store and order a fridge based on cost. The determining factors for me at least were to minimize the mechanical differences between what I had and its replacement. In my particular case, the Summit I ordered on line was specifically based on how well it fit into the existing void. It fit very well, about 1/4" on the sides and about an 1/2" on the top.

It did present a small challenge because it has wheels which would allow the thing to slide out of it position under normal boat use. I solved that problem by adding a ramp on the floor of each side....picture a wood shingle. The ramp ends where the fridge is pushed flush with the front cabinetry. At that point the wheels drop off the ramp. This prevents the fridge from moving.

Size-- ours has 8.3 cuft vs the Norcold with 8. Small difference. Norcold's compressors were located at the rear vs under the fridge. Insulation difference? Maybe but but in the Summit, the freezer will get to -20F if I set it that low. My Norcold was never cold.

Heater wires-- Didn't look but most likely it has them for self defrost WHICH CAN BE TURNED OFF. Energy consumption? Who cares! I wired mine to a relay that acts as a transfer switch. Inverter (on 24/7) connects to and powers fridge only when dock or genny AC not available.

The transfer switch I build has a small light to indicate dock/genny power. About two weeks ago I noticed the light was out. I had accidently turned off the wrong circuit breaker. How long had it been out is unknown......maybe a month? My solar had zero problems keeping my 12 bank fully charged.

Lastly, all fridges have to dump heat somewhere. It will either go into the cabin where the fridge is located or transfer to the water via a water cooling system which is a big PITA.

So which fridge should you purchase???? Whatever you will be happy with :flowers:

Last edited:
Modern, quality inverters have a 5 to 8% inversion power loss, not 10 to 15%. That being the case, there is something to be said for high efficiency residential units for your marine refer needs.

Back
Top Bottom