Mango Mama displays her new name!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GarryP

Vessel Name
Mango Mama
Vessel Make
Krogen Manatee 36
I applied the new vinyl letters on Mango Mama's transom last weekend. The instructions recommended installing them without the use of soap and water as I've done in the past. It went very well. The font is Jokerman from the BoatUS Lettering site.*

To make the middle letters fit between the gaps for the transom door, I had to place each letter separately to close up the spacing slightly. This made me realize that it is much easier to place individual letters rather than trying to install the whole name as one piece.*

I did get one noticeable wrinkle in the letter "g" which bugs me. Fortunately, the supplier for BoatUS lettering offered to send me a new letter at no charge.*

We chose Key West as our home port since that is where Victoria and I first met in 1986.*

There are pics at*http://www.pbase.com/onceagain/mango_mama*of the galley and head remodel (new countertops and appliances) and new shear stripe. We're still working on the upholstery, table and a long list of smaller stuff. I'll provide more detail when we're closer to finished.

medium.jpg

Garry,

Mango Mama is indeed a beautiful boat and the lettering really makes her stand out! Congrats on a great job!
thumbsup.gif

Mike

Brookings, Oregon

Garry,* The new name looks great--but the galley remodel is fantastic.

You guys are making great progress on your improvements!

Nice Work!* JohnP

name looks great and the photo album is awesome!! Great work!

Garry, the photos are great.* It looks like you are making great progress.* It looks like some of the shots were at Snead Island Boat Works.* Did they do their usual good work for you?* Gary Alderman and the guys are usually very accomodating.* It looks like one of the shots was under the covered sips where my boat stayed for awhile.

Keep us up on your progress.

Garry:

Your table replacement looks interesting. Is the new table capable of eating more than 2 people? The old one looks huge, and capable of eating a crowd. What was the reason for the change?
Your sink swap also looks interesting. What was the reason for changing from deep double sinks to a shallow single?
Love the granite! and the pass-thru.

Hi Don - Snead Island Boat Works did well. We couldn't afford everything we wanted done so we had to cut back in a few areas. They were busy but good to work with.

Hi Keith - The huge existing table dominates the room and is awkward to get around when sitting on the couch. We decided we wanted something more casual that could serve as both a coffee table, occasional eating table, and work table. This boat is designed for the two of us. On the few occasions there are others aboard for dinner, it will have to be very casual. Besides, we often eat on the aft deck instead of inside. The coffee table raises to an eating surface and will work as a desk for laptop use. More on this later after we make the switch and see how it works.

We couldn't find a double sink that would work for us and decided to go with the large single sink. We can easily use a dish pan when cruising to avoid sloshing and to oconserve water. It's a lot easier to use the large sink and most of the time will be at the dock where we don't have to be miserly with water.

The countertops are Silestone quartz, 3/4" (3 cm) thick. It was installed over the existing laminate tops after removing the wood trim since removing the existing tops would have been a major challenge. I still have to make the trim to cover the exposed edges of the old top under the new top. Another challenge was widening the opening for the stove. I will be cutting down the vertical sliding drawer to fit the narrowed opening.

More later.

Garry, looks great. You have a nice Manatee there.

Nice upgrades Garry & Victoria. Hopefully MM was spared today's weather. We also found the fixed stock table cumbersome thus we're mounting the stock table on a nice wooden base so we can slide it anywhere in the salon.

Nice job, Gary.* It looks great.

On my trawler, I chose a look more in keeping with*its workboat appearance.

img_48146_0_f3f23c7d964139ec552f12039bacbaa4.jpg

I just happened to come across this today. From the USPS site *http://www.usps.org/national/vsc/policies_files/vesselreg.pdf*:

"When dinghys are stored on the swim platform or transom causing the Vessels name and hailing port to be obscured from view, there is no Federal requirement to place the name and hailing port elsewhere. That is a Law Enforcement issue only. However, the requirement to be CLEARLY VISIBLE may necessitate duplicating the name and hailing port on either side of the hull. Stenciling on the bottom of the dinghy is not considered a permanent marking.

Above reviewed by the United States Coast Guard office of Boating Safety on: 12/16/04"

However, you may find this open to interpretation by the CG inspection team.*

-- Edited by GarryP on Monday 4th of April 2011 05:31:33 PM

Mark that swim platform is sweet.

*I could make one of those myself and I think I will.

Does the whole thing fold up?

If you get a chance could you post another couple shots of*the attachements.

SD*

-- Edited by skipperdude on Wednesday 6th of April 2011 12:41:06 PM

To be honest, Superdude, that*was an extra-cost option I didn't order or pay for.* It doesn't appear to fold-up.

The boat is on the other side of Earth.* I'll try to remember to take some photos after the boat arrives in California.

-- Edited by markpierce on Wednesday 6th of April 2011 02:28:11 PM

Mark,

Just noticed your port of call is Vallejo CA.

We were just there the last week of March (23-28)*in the rain.* Ate at the "Dead Fish Restaurant" twice while we were there.

Did I mention it rained and was cold?

JD wrote:
Mark,

Did I mention it rained and was cold?
*It had better rain sometime!* We needed it*after several years of drought.* Normal*climate patterns, however, indicate there won't be significant rainfall for another seven months.

By the way, the Dead Fish Restaurant is in Crockett (the hometown of C&H sugar), across the strait from Vallejo.* That restaurant is good but expensive; less expensive and rustic is the Nantuckett restaurant on the water's edge, also in Crockett.* Regardless, one gets what one pays for at these restaurants.

Reminds me.* Before the end of the month, I need to arrange for a berth at the Vallejo Municipal Boat Harbor.* To do after I do my taxes!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom