Benford Fantail 38 resurrection

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So is this a recipe, or just a "damn this whiskey sucks, I think I'll boil these ribs in it instead".

?

Boatpoker...if near Cape May, NJ and you need anything....let me know.

Discount liquor store 4 MI up the road if you use all your whiskey on ribs. :D

Last edited:
So is this a recipe, or just a "damn this whiskey sucks, I think I'll boil these ribs in it instead".

?

You got that right ... but it turned out amazing, best ribs we've ever had along with potatoes and leeks steamed in the broth from the boiled ribs and a large glass of Proseco with the most beautiful woman on the planet.

It's a hard life :)

Attachments

• 039.JPG
    039.JPG
    131.8 KB · Views: 61
Boatpoker...if near Cape May, NJ and you need anything....let me know.

Discount liquor store 4 MI up the road if you use all your whiskey on ribs. :D

We'll be anchoring as far south of the CG station as we can get unless you have a better suggestion. We had our honeymoon at the Blue Rose Inn and want to go back for dinner. We'd love to meet you Sneeld. We are superb cooks and have the best coffee you have ever tasted ....c'mon over when you see us.

We'll be anchoring as far south of the CG station as we can get unless you have a better suggestion. We had our honeymoon at the Blue Rose Inn and want to go back for dinner. We'd love to meet you Sneeld. We are superb cooks and have the best coffee you have ever tasted ....c'mon over when you see us.
We are about 13 miles north, when in town and there long enough, give me a call or post...will pm you my cel.

Sunset lake about 2 nm up the ICW is a bit more relaxing, but not dingy convenient to Cape May..

You got that right ... but it turned out amazing, best ribs we've ever had along with potatoes and leeks steamed in the broth from the boiled ribs and a large glass of Proseco with the most beautiful woman on the planet.

It's a hard life :)

Excellent job chef! I will have to try that-- I have gotten into brining meat before I BBQ it, but now I know I can boil it in whiskey also.

Yall are having so much fun. I'm jealous.

Up at the crack of dawn and just got back from a day at Ellis Island and the Statue of Liberty. The Liberty Museum is a once in a lifetime treat and exceptionally well done, we enjoyed it immensely.

Ellis Island is another matter altogether, not just an exhibit of the early 1900's influx but a well presented exhibition of the populating of the entire country from the beginning. Every American should visit this place at least once. It is thought provoking, depressing, disturbing, sobering, hopeful, uplifting and we will be discussing this for a long time. I won't go into details because I could not do it justice but we came away with an appreciation for what immigrants endured to create this troubled but wonderful country. We came away with a renewed appreciation for how fortunate we are and a realization that millions of people on this planet are still struggling just to survive. I implore all of you to see Ellis Island once in your lifetime.

Attachments

• 087.JPG
    087.JPG
    100.5 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:
Thank you, Wallace - very well put!
Good advice for all of us to be aware of our origins and history, and to be aware of the millions of people less fortunate than we are.

Anchopred in the little bay across from Atlantic City. Sharon had a go at making naan bread and it made for terrific chicken/vidalia sandwiches. We sat on the bottom again at low tide. Tomorrow we'll do the boardwalk and get some of that amazing cheesecake at Caesars Palace. Then we'll head down towards Cape May. Will probaly make it a very short day and anchor just inside at Ocean City then decide whether to go inside or outside to Cap May.

A couple of video shorts on our facebook page.

Attachments

• 012.JPG
    012.JPG
    64.9 KB · Views: 78
  • 009.JPG
    009.JPG
    144.8 KB · Views: 80
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    93.5 KB · Views: 92
Pretty snotty here in Atlantic City, looks like we'll stay here another night. There was a time when going out in this stuff wouldn't have bothered me but I've grown out of that :)

I've heard the skuttlebutt on how shallow the Jersey ICW has gotten, including from PSneeld, but I think he's just trying to keep us trawler trash out of his territory. It would be good to hear it first hand. Remind me....what kind of draft do you have on Dirt Free?

Last edited:
We draw only 3' and have not seen less than 6' even at low tide. I don't mind sitting in a foot or two of sand or mud at anchor in a low tide and that has happened a couple of times (planned) just because I want to anchor well out (further than most) of the fairway.... seen too many idiots in my day.

Plan on being anchored in Rainbow Channel at Ocean City this afternoon. Give us a toot if anyone is passing.

Anchored in Cape May in 2' of water at low tide (We draw 3' :) ) absolutely no rocking, well south of the USCG station and a little south of the Corinthian Yacht Club. I kind of like anchoring this way when the bottom is soft enough.

Going to a marina tonight as we are getting a little dressed up to have dinner at the Blue Rose Inn (where we honeymooned). Don't want to show up there with muddy, wet feet from dragging a dinghy up on shore.
- Photo - Dirt Free at Cape May.

Attachments

• IMG_5468.JPG
    IMG_5468.JPG
    85.9 KB · Views: 74
I'd say she looks pretty happy to be there.

need anything? Just let me know.

Back from Maine, got hauled yesterday for bottom work...man picked a lousy week to do the bottom

Enjoy dinner!.

Thanks Scott. We'll be leaving here Friday morning to head up the Delaware. Stop by if you're in town before then. We've moved from the anchorage into the Cape May Paddle Club (K-5) for the next two nights. Real hot showers without banging elbows and a hot tub :)

Thanks Scott. We'll be leaving here Friday morning to head up the Delaware. Stop by if you're in town before then. We've moved from the anchorage into the Cape May Paddle Club (K-5) for the next two nights. Real hot showers without banging elbows and a hot tub :)
still leaving tomorrow with the weather?
can't make it today, plus ending a cold I don't want to give to anyone....safe travels if you leave, sorry I missed you.

still leaving tomorrow with the weather?
can't make it today, plus ending a cold I don't want to give to anyone....safe travels if you leave, sorry I missed you.

Looks like we're stuck til' Saturday, maybe Sunday weather here is ...... unpleasant :)

If we get a break we may head back to the anchorage. If this gets worse I think I'd feel a little safer on the hook. Plus this marina thing was a special treat. extended marina stays are not really in the budget :)

Looks like we're stuck til' Saturday, maybe Sunday weather here is ...... unpleasant :)

If we get a break we may head back to the anchorage. If this gets worse I think I'd feel a little safer on the hook. Plus this marina thing was a special treat. extended marina stays are not really in the budget :)
maybe see you in the AM if you haven't slipped out....

Anchored in Cape May in 2' of water at low tide (We draw 3' :) ) absolutely no rocking, well south of the USCG station and a little south of the Corinthian Yacht Club. I kind of like anchoring this way when the bottom is soft enough.

Going to a marina tonight as we are getting a little dressed up to have dinner at the Blue Rose Inn (where we honeymooned). Don't want to show up there with muddy, wet feet from dragging a dinghy up on shore.
- Photo - Dirt Free at Cape May.

Definitely a fine looking craft.

I know a couple of you have been following Sharons blog of our trip from Toronto to the sea of Abaco but working with Blogspot was too difficult and it was getting out of date. So if anyone is interested Sharon has shifted it to a page on our website.
Sharons Blog 2016 Toronto - Abacos

We left Cape May at 0400 in heavy fog to ride the tide up the Delaware. Fog cleared around 1000hrs and had a pleasant ride after although we never saw the SE wind NOAA Forecast. it was NE all the way.

We managed to hit 9.6Kts riding the tide. Whooooo Hooooo ! A new record !

Poker,
Thank you for the snicker,
That is anchoring in 2' of water w a 3' draft.
Love it. Only on the right coast I assume.

Poker,
Thank you for the snicker,
That is anchoring in 2' of water w a 3' draft.
Love it. Only on the right coast I assume.

One night my depth sounder (midship transducer) showed 10' and when I dropped the 55lb Rocna only half of it was under water :)

One night my depth sounder (midship transducer) showed 10' and when I dropped the 55lb Rocna only half of it was under water :)

I would call that a near-grounding!

Your thru-hulls must be well above your substantial keel like a...dare I say... sailboat. If I tried to stick my boat (3' 4" draft) into 2 ft of water, I'd be afraid my intakes would clog. The only time I've sucked weeds into my strainers was when I was anchored in 4-6 ft. Fortunately, my generator is air cooled.

Leaving Chesapeake City this morning and have no idea when we'll have WiFi access again. Not sure if we'll go to Annapolis or maybe Rock Hall MD. We'll know when we get there :) Curious thing ..... seen about 30 Canadian boats heading south, two from Ontario and the rest from Quebec.

Anybody wanna talk about "right of way" ?

Attachments

• IMG_5490.JPG
    IMG_5490.JPG
    97.6 KB · Views: 54
Back
Top Bottom