I must be doing something wrong

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LowNSlow77

Vessel Make
Tollycraft 34 Sundeck
I must be doing something wrong. I always read about how the two happiest days of boat ownership are the day you buy it and the day that you sell it.

I am still enjoying every time that I step on board. We made it to Desolation Sound for the first time this summer and had a great time. The trip was cut short by a leaking macerator pump, a crappy way to end the holiday, but I still see the trip as a success.

We are dealing with contractors who have sterilized the aft stateroom and removed the carpet, and trying to arrange for new carpet, but I am still enjoying myself. I had always thought that the endless requirements of boat ownership would reduce the fun, but somehow unlike the problems in our townhouse, the boat still manages to bring a smile to my face.

Maybe after a couple of years i am still in the honeymoon period and will be more bothered later, but until then, I think I will have to enjoy the crap out of the boat. (Pun intended)

Think the enjoyment is directly proportional to the use. Stuff happens. If you use the boat so little that it seems every trip is plagued, the joy of boat ownership will evaporate quickly. The solution is to use / enjoy it more.

Ted

Last edited:
giphy.gif

"Think the enjoyment is directly proportional to the use. Stuff happens."

And the number of things that will need repair is directly related to the number and complexity of the systems on board.

Outfit a 65 fter as you would a 30 fter and life is really simple, as the TO DO list is short.

I'll go out on a limb and disagree with the second part of that old saying, too.

We were sad to see our last boat go, even though it was for sale for a year and a half. After four years, we still miss it sometimes. I still think fondly of other previous boats. Even the wrecks I owned while I was young. We had some great times on every one of them.

I suspect that saying is true for those who were never really "into" boating, and just bought one because it seemed like the thing to do.

Wifey B: I was terribly sad when we sold our lake boat, even though we'd bought another for the coast. So many great memories. I can't imagine us not having a boat.

What a bunch of salty philosophers we are.

Or as Kenneth Grahame said in The Wind in the Willows, "Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing — absolutely nothing — half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats. Simply messing... about in boats — or with boats. In or out of 'em, it doesn't matter. Nothing seems really to matter, that's the charm of it. Whether you get away, or whether you don't; whether you arrive at your destination or whether you reach somewhere else, or whether you never get anywhere at all, you're always busy, and you never do anything in particular; and when you've done it there's always something else to do, and you can do it if you like, but you'd much better not".

Perhaps we could adopt it as the Trawler Forum motto. What do you think Janet? :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Ah yes, the old macerator pump breakdown. My wife inadvertently dropped a makeup compact mirror into our electric head. She actually didn't notice. Later, I flushed the toilet. Lots of grinding and banging noises. The pump packed it in. Luckily, several week prior, I installed a holding tank for our forward stateroom to bring it into compliance( we never used that head) So, for the weekend, we had to endure walking 25 feet to go to the loo. When I tore out the old pump and told my wife I found all kinds of broken glass in the pump, she said " oh, I wondered where that mirror went"

Or as Kenneth Grahame said in The Wind in the Willows, "Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing — absolutely nothing — half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats. Simply messing... about in boats — or with boats. In or out of 'em, it doesn't matter. Nothing seems really to matter, that's the charm of it. Whether you get away, or whether you don't; whether you arrive at your destination or whether you reach somewhere else, or whether you never get anywhere at all, you're always busy, and you never do anything in particular; and when you've done it there's always something else to do, and you can do it if you like, but you'd much better not".

Perhaps we could adopt it as the Trawler Forum motto. What do you think Janet? :rolleyes:

I love it! That quote's long enough to be two paragraphs, though. Makes for a long motto! :socool: :eek: :hide: Maybe for a new TF "About Us" page. :D

I'm reporting your post to the authorities!

I love it! That quote's long enough to be two paragraphs, though. Makes for a long motto! :socool: :eek: :hide: Maybe for a new TF "About Us" page. :D

I'm reporting your post to the authorities!

Yeah, A's right Andy...it would simply not fit on here for example,

but sure is worthy of a sticky entitled "Poetic licence enhancement of an iconic boating statement." :D

PS. Tried several times to rotate the damn pic - won't work...I give up.

Attachments

• IMG_0036.jpg
    IMG_0036.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
That quote's long enough to be two paragraphs, though.

Quite right, hoist by my own petard. :blush:

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing — absolutely nothing — half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats. Simply messing... about in boats — or with boats. In or out of 'em, it doesn't matter. Nothing seems really to matter, that's the charm of it.

Whether you get away, or whether you don't; whether you arrive at your destination or whether you reach somewhere else, or whether you never get anywhere at all, you're always busy, and you never do anything in particular; and when you've done it there's always something else to do, and you can do it if you like, but you'd much better not".

How about we shorten it to "Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing — absolutely nothing — half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats".

This discussion is surprisingly apropos as my wife and I talked for a long time about renaming our boat "Messing About".

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom