What is your pet peeve about your boat?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ka_sea_ta

Guru
After spending a few months living on board, small inconveniences became rather annoying. In our case the steps going to the forward and aft staterooms have too much rise and not enough run. This means we always have to grab a handhold going up or down which makes it tough to carry things... they are also tough on old knees. My other gripe is that the builder didn't put in wire chases going forward and aft and up and down between different levels, this seems so simple yet rewiring or running a new
wire requires several detours and removal of way too much stuff.

What would you change about your boat?

Small boat for me, but I hate that my trim gauge reads backwards and now only work part time, and my fuel gauge has never worked even with a new sending unit and wiring. It always reads full, when it really gets under my skin I will fix it.

Gave it some thought, but nothing comes to mind frankly.

Maybe lack of a watermaker which is resolvable.

The door to the head opens out into the passageway. Can't leave it open or it blocks the passageway. I would prefer a slider. Also poor drainage on the flybridge deck.

Everything other than the hull and thru-hulls leaked. So I got rid of the boat. Otherwise, I loved my MT 34. Still considering what to do next to get back on the water. The Flying Scott isn't going to satisfy my jones.

3 that I can think of off hand. The first two are due to choices by the original owner and the last is a design decision that has been changed now on the current models.

1. No anemometer.
2. No speedometer other than GPS
3. Only one small opening window in PH

The railing gate placement requires at least a 20' finger pier to use them. I need a gate near the stern, for fixed piers.

Airplanes are fun. I've seen quite a few DC3's converted to "yachts".

Wifey B: I got spoiled on the lake but I'm very happy. Now, one day....one day, I know we'll have to give in to the urge and it will be an awful mistake and so impractical but something like a Nor-tech. Not a Fountain. I don't want to go 90 on the water. 60 is fast enough. :speed boat:

No plane for me. Flying on a small plane tomorrow. Hope the weather is good. Ooohhh...it's going down to 54 degrees tonight. Time to turn the heat on.

That it's sitting ten minutes away, waiting for me to retire, so we can head out for months on end to explore and photograph the remotest nooks and crannies on this corner of Paradise.

Must be patient, and prepare...which brings up pet peeve #2...that the wish list for preparations exceeds the available budget about ten fold :cry:

That it is about ten feet two short, and around three to four feet too narrow. Other than that, the fact that my wife and I both have permanent scars on our shins from hitting the darn latch in the cockpit that keeps the saloon door open. Sadly, no other place to put it.

My only complaint about my boat is it sails a lot at anchor. Several owners have added a staysail to minimize it and it seems to work for them I haven't tried it yet as is not that big a deal. I removed the boom from my mast a few years ago but could put it back on easily if I wanted to.

Shiny! It's so darn shiny! In the boat yard this week doing a few projects, getting the top sides waxed, and touching up the bottom paint in a few spots. Heading South in a few weeks and need the boat ready for FL winter. Justin has it looking so shiny and polished, that sunglasses are required even on cloudy days! :rolleyes:

Ted

My only complaint about my boat is it sails a lot at anchor. Several owners have added a staysail to minimize it and it seems to work for them I haven't tried it yet as is not that big a deal. I removed the boom from my mast a few years ago but could put it back on easily if I wanted to.

Stern anchor?

I've been told it's called a riding sail, and you should give it a whirl.

We were surprised by a 25 to 30 knot gusting wind this summer while anchored, so I rigged one up off our boom with a small tarp and it worked amazingly well.

Normally, in even moderate winds, our boat swings and yo-yo's all over the place as it bounces on our nylon rode, but even with a hastily cobbled together riding sail in such windy conditions Badger was well behaved :thumb:

In our case the steps going to the forward and aft staterooms have too much rise and not enough run.
What would you change about your boat?

We had this issue on our previous boat, the Senator. The little stairs going into the stateroom. Tom took them home and used the little ladder as a skeleton for real stairs, and did a flip top on the bottom stair, so I could store my shoes in the little box. Issue became benefit!! :)

I have the same gripes about steps and fly-bridge drainage. I forsee a project for the steps, not sure yet about fly-bridge drainage yet. I guess my only other gripe right now is the all electric galley.

Kevin

I have the same gripes about steps and fly-bridge drainage. I forsee a project for the steps, not sure yet about fly-bridge drainage yet. I guess my only other gripe right now is the all electric galley.

Kevin

I see some steps and ladders on boats that I just find shocking. We're relatively young and both have long legs but we've tried some that we'd never accept and live with.

No indoor access to the pilothouse. "Yet", that is. It's true that the bridge deck could drain a bit better.

That it's a single screw with no thrusters.

For my wife it's not having a bath tub, which we could install, but we would have to give up a storage room. Since we are getting older not having side gates. I built steps so we presently use the pilot house. I have plans to have side gates installed.

The one peeve is the condensate from the AC units drains into the bilge. There are 2 small stripper pumps in the keel and during summer I have to remember to turn them on once a day. A fix is on the list but it keeps slipping down it.

Knots. Missing about 3 of them. Wish I could get to 12 (if I wanted to).

Head room at entry/exit floor level transfer at salon to master stateroom. Not so bad when coming up to salon... cause you are automatically leaning forward going up three steps. Going down there is a hand hold at head-area which helps traverse without hitting noggin... but a better transfer with more headroom at that location could have been planned into the mold. I'm 6'1 and can hit head if not careful there. Rest of boat is 6'4 headroom. Shaquille O'Neal would surely need to stay on Fly bridge and sun deck! :facepalm:

Attachments

• Port Rear Salon.jpg
    Port Rear Salon.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 83
Head room at entry/exit floor level transfer at salon to master stateroom. Not so bad when coming up to salon... cause you are automatically leaning forward going up three steps. Going down there is a hand hold at head-area which helps traverse without hitting noggin... but a better transfer with more headroom at that location could have been planned into the mold. I'm 6'1 and can hit head if not careful there. Rest of boat is 6'4 headroom. Shaquille O'Neal would surely need to stay on Fly bridge and sun deck! :facepalm:

At 6'4 1/2" in bare feet, 6'5" to 6'6" in shoes, headroom eliminates more boats from possible consideration than any other single issue. I think the most dangerous is like you described where you can hit if not careful but won't always hit. Shaquille would be safe, just uncomfortable, as he'd bend all the time. It's those who just hit occasionally who hit the most often. Going down steps is the most likely trouble spot. I know to watch out but someone your height is in trouble.

X2. One of the PO's added a gate at the port side aft but not to the starboard side. Due to the dinghy on davits, 9 of 10 dockings are bow in.

At 6'4 1/2" in bare feet, 6'5" to 6'6" in shoes, headroom eliminates more boats from possible consideration than any other single issue. I think the most dangerous is like you described where you can hit if not careful but won't always hit. Shaquille would be safe, just uncomfortable, as he'd bend all the time. It's those who just hit occasionally who hit the most often. Going down steps is the most likely trouble spot. I know to watch out but someone your height is in trouble.

We'd need to keep you on the bridge/sun deck with Shaquille! :dance:

Just kidding!! :lol:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom