Epirb

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

menzies

Guru
Vessel Name
SONAS
Vessel Make
Grand Alaskan 53
So the battery on the EPIRB that came with the boat ran out last September. I just had a quote to have the battery replaced etc. $260.

A new EPIRB of the same model is $360, so to me there is no sense just changing out the battery.

So I have decided to buy a new one. Before I just go for the exact same model - any recommendations, or are they all much of a muchness?

Maybe find one that has a cheaper replacement battery?

Last edited:
Have you tried a place that sells coupons for battery changes?

Try Parks (Hopkins Carter), or Hodges Marine, GPS store, etc.

Something like this....

Acr Fbrs 2882 Battery Replacement Service - Plb-350 Aqualink

I was quoted something like $150 to change my PLB battery, but the coupon on sale was something g like $110 and I got a $5 coupon for my next purchase which went towards a new anchor.

PLBs are much less expensive than EPIRBs. But I will look.

Also this is the exact model I have - with GPS.

http://www.hodgesmarine.com/REVERE-MCMURDO-SMARTFIND-406-CATEGORY-2-p/mcm82-800-003a.htm

Last edited:
They aren't that much cheaper depending...

But if you can get a mail in service on a boat show price like I did...a practically new piece of electronics just got its life doubled for 1/3 the cost.

Just didn't know if you knew the mail in coupons/whatever they are existed.

We bought a new EPIRB this year and I found there is a difference between battery life on them. My suggestion would be look for one with a long battery life and built in GPS.

Brett

We bought a new EPIRB this year and I found there is a difference between battery life on them. My suggestion would be look for one with a long battery life and built in GPS.

Brett
Whitworths Chandlers here retail the GME GPS Epirb with 10 year battery for $289AUD, vs $366USD for the supplier quoted. Surprise, something costs less here.

The battery in our old unit was due for replacement. We purchased the "ACR ELECTRONICS
GlobalFix™ V4 EPIRB
The battery is "user replaceable".

Jim
Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

Jim found the hot ticket. ACR GlobalFix V4. MAP price of 399.99, Ten year battery replacement cycle, user replaceable battery and I think they have a $50 rebate going on now. Yes I stock them.

Whitworths Chandlers here retail the GME GPS Epirb with 10 year battery for $289AUD, vs $366USD for the supplier quoted. Surprise, something costs less here.

True, Bruce, but I have the same one, and the battery is not replaceable, so when the time is up they become a throwaway I was told. However, as the batts last longer than the date stamped on it, Marine Transport extended my licence for mine a couple of years for the same unit. Go figure. It still tests ok, so I'm not complaining.

Hopkins, I just looked at that ACR.

Raises another question - do people prefer the manual EPIRB or the water activated.

Raises another question - do people prefer the manual EPIRB or the water activated.

We got the water actuated one...accidentally. As far as what people prefer, you'd have to ask people who actually used one. I don't know anyone myself.

Jim
Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

Are you referring to self deploying category 1 versus manual operation category 2? If so, I have both. The category 1 on my charter boat (required) and category 2 came with trawler. Will likely replace or supplement the cat2 on the trawler with a cat1. Simply, I can visualize too many scenarios where I won't be able to get to the EPIRB before the boat goes down. For the same reason, I have a self deploying life raft.

Ted

Are you referring to self deploying category 1 versus manual operation category 2? If so, I have both. The category 1 on my charter boat (required) and category 2 came with trawler. Will likely replace or supplement the cat2 on the trawler with a cat1. Simply, I can visualize too many scenarios where I won't be able to get to the EPIRB before the boat goes down. For the same reason, I have a self deploying life raft.

Ted

Correct.

Same here with the Revere lift raft, so thinking of spending the extra hundred on the auto EPIRB.

BTW, can you also manually activate the Cat 1? Or do you have to chuck it into the water ?

Correct.

Same here with the Revere lift raft, so thinking of spending the extra hundred on the auto EPIRB.

BTW, can you also manually activate the Cat 1? Or do you have to chuck it into the water ?

Cat 1 has manual activation also, so you can activate it before abandoning the boat and keep it with you in the life raft or dingy.

Ted

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom