Great book!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Make
34' CHB
Wanted to pass along about a book I am reading about a harrowing rescue in Alaska back in '98 I guess. Not yet done with the book but man it gives me the willies just reading it. About an old wood boat I knew back then that I had seen in the shipyard I worked in in Seattle, called the La Conte. She got caught out in a horrible blow off the Fairweather Grounds north of Cape Spencer, an area I have transited several times on tugs years ago. Book is called 'Coming Back Alive', by Spike Walker. CG out of Sitka where I lived for a time in the 60's was base to the rescue choppers and crews. If you like scary true sea stories this is a must read.

My dad was never much fan of the CG due to the regulations etc, but he had to call them once. He was crossing Dixon Entrance in a bit of a nasty day when the old Atlas started gobbling lube oil like no tomorrow and he was drifting with a barge in tow near the rocks. CG came out in a 40 footer from Ketchikan, threw a line onto his bow and kept him off the rocks till he figured out the problem which he did and got back underway. He sure liked the CG that day! My uncle spent some time in the CG also and was involved in several rescue operations on the WA coast.

Wanted to pass along about a book I am reading about a harrowing rescue in Alaska back in '98 I guess. Not yet done with the book but man it gives me the willies just reading it. About an old wood boat I knew back then that I had seen in the shipyard I worked in in Seattle, called the La Conte. She got caught out in a horrible blow off the Fairweather Grounds north of Cape Spencer, an area I have transited several times on tugs years ago. Book is called 'Coming Back Alive', by Spike Walker. CG out of Sitka where I lived for a time in the 60's was base to the rescue choppers and crews. If you like scary true sea stories this is a must read.

Interesting, thanks. Do you mean that one ?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    109.6 KB · Views: 47
Thanks for the tip. Just "Kindled" it from Amazon.

Here are two more that I enjoyed, though with not such a happy ending:

The Ship and the Storm: Hurricane Mitch and the Loss of the Fantome, by Jim Carrier, and Ten Hours Until Dawn: The True Story of Heroism and Tragedy Aboard the "Can Do," by Michael J. Tougias.

Thanks. I am always on the lookout for a good book. Found this one used on Amazon for one-cent (plus $3.99 shipping) and am greatly looking forward to reading it.

for every harrowing rescue the media reports about, there are 10 more equal or more harrowing no one ever hears sbout.

No doubt, but I think this one will rate right up there with the most dramatic. Took 3 chopper attempts to get it done, in 90 mile an hour winds and 70 - 90' seas. Pretty horrendous conditions.

Sure, didn't mean to diminish this one...just to remind everyone of the ones that go unnoticed....

Much of what the CG does goes unnoticed, just like our police unless they do something questionable, then they get all kinds of attention. Have you read this book?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom