Boat searching/Buying Disaster

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Some years ago we had a deposit down on a 85 footer.

Took the boat out with it's captain for a sea trial and haul out .
During the sea trial I ask the captain to put on the trim tabs and a few others things--he told me they don't work
Our surveyor didn't seem to concerned about the small stuff.
Broker on deck; pointing to the birds and seals and how beautiful everything was and how good you look on this boat

At haul out I noticed that the hull on one side in the rear quarter wasn't smooth and had some big wave to it.
Do you think there maybe a problem here

Then it gets worse
I called friend in England that knew the owner of a shipyard in Italy ( I sent pictures to them )
The boat had their yards trademark on it
But it wasn't built by them ----but a yard besides them.

The boat owner could not give the deposit back quick enough after talking to the Italian guys.
So who is wrong the owner or the broker

SeaQ, a broker is an agent. He gets information and instructions from his principal,the seller. Unless he`s on"a frolic of his own" beyond authority. How to say both were not "deceived"(assuming there was deception)by the branding, into representing the boat as brand "X", as it was trademarked ?
Seems odd the boat was built not by the brand owner, but by the yard "beside them". Wouldn`t someone notice 85ft of boat, just like one of theirs, being built "beside them"? A subcontracted build the brand owner wants to dissociate itself from because the build turns out to be below their standards ?
There has to be more to this.

I agree
The broker represents the seller in good faith
So how would he know

"Every time I pull any boat I ever had for the season I pull the drain plug."

SPLENDID advice ,,,, but sadly many boat assemblers do not even list it as an option.

"Every time I pull any boat I ever had for the season I pull the drain plug."

SPLENDID advice ,,,, but sadly many boat assemblers do not even list it as an option.

Only on considerably small craft have I experienced a "drain plug". Good feature though. But - Sure would need to be of a robust nature/build to last in good condition for many decades on older substantially sized classics. Our Tolly turns 40 yrs. in 2017. Many considerably older boats are still floating and cruising.

Only on considerably small craft have I experienced a "drain plug". Good feature though. But - Sure would need to be of a robust nature/build to last in good condition for many decades on older substantially sized classics.

Really? We've got three. Each needs a fair size (3/8"?) allen key to remove...

Our aft-most bilge compartment can take in rain water through the (un-plumbed) rod-holders... so that's the one we pay most attention when we're on the hard.

Our 34' Mainship III had one, aft, and it was important to remove that rascal while blocked, in case of rain or snow... 'cause that'd all end up in the engine room otherwise.

-Chris

Really? We've got three. Each needs a fair size (3/8"?) allen key to remove...

Our aft-most bilge compartment can take in rain water through the (un-plumbed) rod-holders... so that's the one we pay most attention when we're on the hard.

Our 34' Mainship III had one, aft, and it was important to remove that rascal while blocked, in case of rain or snow... 'cause that'd all end up in the engine room otherwise.

-Chris

Good for you!

My wife is recovering and we purchased another car today, so now back to the important task. Time to find a Boat. Anyone getting ready to sell their 36' Sabreline aft cabin (I can't afford the Sedan:blush:)? Prefer Yanmar or Cummins or Cats in that order. Thanks again for the good thoughts!

Todd

Great to hear your wife is doing better. Happy to hear you have narrowed your boat search down, :thumb: good luck.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom