Cuba

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Off to Cuba for 10 days or so this morning.

I'll posts some details when I can.

If anybody has any specific questions just let me know.

Seas from Key West to Cuba are prediced to be 0 to 0.5 meters, nice!

Safe travels my friend! Can't wait to hear all about it!

Enjoy. We plan on doing it when we are no longer restricted by the 12 "reason" or time limit.

Meters? Meters? Who is giving you seas in meters? :)

Are you going in your boat? I spent a week there in 1996, but, flew in and out for a business conference I enjoyed it.
We'll be waiting for your news.

Passage Weather gives sea state in meters. :)

This will be my 4th trip over. First was in 1994 wil the sailboat race from Sarasota to Havana.

But my last trip was quite a while ago, so it will be interesting to see the changes.

Prices for services have gone way up already I know that based on the latest reports I have from friends who have been down recently.

Have a great trip. I'll be following along virtually.

Not going in my own boat but with the one I run with crew, owners and guests.

82' Horizon

We've thought about perhaps a trip there sometime this winter. Will be interested in your reports.

Remember, Papayas are called "fruta bomba" down there.

14.8 nm off the seabuoy into Marina Hemingway.

Can see downtown Havana clearly now.

2' seas wind around 10kt or less.

You going to try and bring back some see-gars?

Linda and I have dreamed of that trip for a very long time. Can't wait to hear about your adventure.

Safe travels.

Jim & Linda

Having read many books by and about Ernesto H., I too have become interested in Cuba. Would like to visit someday, but it wont be by boat being on the left coast and north as well.

you must be canadian. i was the last u.s. boat licensed to go back in 2003 and almost lost my 50' cat by giving away two bicycles. castro's thugs are ruthless.

you must be canadian. i was the last u.s. boat licensed to go back in 2003 and almost lost my 50' cat by giving away two bicycles. castro's thugs are ruthless.

Who are you saying is Canadian?

I know people who have made at least 50 trips to Cuba over the last 10 years. It's not like no one has been traveling there. They haven't been going directly from the US to Cuba. There are now US boats going rather frequently.

well my comment was to the op. i do not know if laws have changed but if you ask the coast guard if you can take your boat to cuba they will say no and your insurance will be void while in cuba so unless many rules have changed that i do not know about it is still illegal.

well my comment was to the op. i do not know if laws have changed but if you ask the coast guard if you can take your boat to cuba they will say no and your insurance will be void while in cuba so unless many rules have changed that i do not know about it is still illegal.

Rules have changed for US citizens and residents. There are 12 reasons you may now go, and in your own vessel. The time allowed is limited. You do not need to apply for a license.

See below.

https://www.treasury.gov/resource-center/sanctions/Programs/Documents/cuba_faqs_new.pdf

Last edited:
Yes, rules have changed, but that trip is not without risks... travel carefully....

Yes, rules have changed, but that trip is not without risks... travel carefully....

Can you expand on this - over and above the usual watch-outs when cruising the islands?

Wow! A lot of people apparently have know idea as to what is involved in travel to Cuba for a U.S. boat.

It's perfectly legal if you qualify under one of the twelve categories of permits. The USCG could care less if you go as long as you fill out the proper paper work and the Cubans are very happy to have you come down.

In the past I found the Cuban officials to be some of, if not the, easiest to work with and friendliest of all the officials I've worked with. Including U.S. officials.

And that is what I found on this trip.

The ride down was perfect. Very calm sunny day.

We did come across a Cuban refugee raft. It was made of two square styrofoam pontoons about 8-10 feet long with a motor suspended between the pontoons. There was a make shift rudder, sail, bottled water, box of crackers and a jug of what looked like gasoline on board as well. No people. The drive shaft off the motor appeared to be broken.

On both of the pontoons the word "OK" was spray painted 3 times on the top of the pontoons. So we are assuming who ever was on board was picked up. I reported the position of the raft to the USCG.

Very sobering sight.

Internet is spotty and SAT data is expensive so I'll posts when I can from time to time. Including pictures of the raft when I can.

Also following as I would love to do this trip one day. Safe travels!

Wow! A lot of people apparently have know idea as to what is involved in travel to Cuba for a U.S. boat.

Bill, one of the watch-outs regarding forum reactions to going to Cuba is that behind some of the posts is the fact that many do not agree with opening it up.

Could be more political that factual.

Don't expect your insurance to cover you in Cuba. There are some limited policies available but you'd likely need to switch carriers and have your boat surveyed. It's something to consider early in the planning process.

Don't expect your insurance to cover you in Cuba. There are some limited policies available but you'd likely need to switch carriers and have your boat surveyed. It's something to consider early in the planning process.

Any plans to go to Cuba in the new boat? Have you done any offshore cruising on Redhead yet? Just wondering how she does in rougher seas compared to your previous stabilized Defever.

Insurance is become much less of an issue.

More and more companies are offering coverage or riders.

They really have no choice now that it is becoming easier for U.S. boats to come here.

Any plans to go to Cuba in the new boat? Have you done any offshore cruising on Redhead yet? Just wondering how she does in rougher seas compared to your previous stabilized Defever.
Red Head isn't the offshore boat that aCappella is. But the added beam and weight of Red Head help.

We put in 2 days off the coast of NJ in 3-4' beam seas and she didn't roll at all. The boat was chartered in the Bahamas for many years and previous captains told me that they'd gotten caught in 5-8 foot choppy Gulfstream waters and it still felt safe.

That said, we'd pick our day carefully to the Bahamas or Cuba. Yes, we plan to go to Cuba once you can stay longer than 10 days. It seems like a lot of effort for such a short stay right now.

Insurance is become much less of an issue.

There are precious few insurance provides who will provide coverage for US citizens on their own boat in Cuba. And like I said, it's something to check into early in the process because it might require switching providers which is a time consuming thing.

Some day it'll be like the Bahamas or Canada. But until there are reliable repair facilities and towing services in Cuba, insurance providers are going to be slow to cover you.

Red Head isn't the offshore boat that aCappella is. But the added beam and weight of Red Head help.

We put in 2 days off the coast of NJ in 3-4' beam seas and she didn't roll at all. The boat was chartered in the Bahamas for many years and previous captains told me that they'd gotten caught in 5-8 foot choppy Gulfstream waters and it still felt safe.

That said, we'd pick our day carefully to the Bahamas or Cuba. Yes, we plan to go to Cuba once you can stay longer than 10 days. It seems like a lot of effort for such a short stay right now.

Good info. Thanks.

What does Red Head weigh?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom