Aircard vs iPhone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Doc

Guru
I use a Verizon air card for all my Internet. This is because I want to be able to access the web while traveling. Our traditional cell phones are on a 800 minute per month plan. The whole thing is about $150.00 per month

If I get a smart phone such as the iPhone and use it to create a wifi hot spot can I get rid of the air card? What will my plan be? How much will it cost...about?

You'll be charged basically 20 bucks per 2gig chunks for using the smart phone in the hotspot mode. You can get the unlimited data plan but that does not count for hotspot use. We have the same dilemma with our unlimited wifi plan and me about to get a smart phone.

Doc, if you're up for a new phone, get an Android phone.* I have had both iPhone and Android, and there are pluses and minuses for both, but in the ease of internet connection the Android leaves the iPhone completely in the dust.* Download an application called pdaNet on both phone and computer.* Once installed, accessing the internet for free through your data plan on the Android is a matter of turning on pdaNet on your phone, click once on the pdaNet icon on the computer and you are good to go.

I am using Verizon, unlimited data and voice $129.00/month.* Sprint is cheaper and the Android EVO phone they offer does the same thing, although Sprint's coverage isn't as good as Verizon in many areas.* I have the Android X and like it very much compared to the iPhone.

Delfin wrote:
Doc, if you're up for a new phone, get an Android phone.....* Android leaves the iPhone completely in the dust. ..... Sprint is cheaper and the Android EVO phone they offer does the same thing, although Sprint's coverage isn't as good as Verizon in many areas.
Can't ad anything to that!

SeaHorse II wrote:Delfin wrote:

Doc, if you're up for a new phone, get an Android phone.....* Android leaves the iPhone completely in the dust. ..... Sprint is cheaper and the Android EVO phone they offer does the same thing, although Sprint's coverage isn't as good as Verizon in many areas.
Can't ad anything to that!
We are using two Androids,* one with Sprint and one with Verizon.* The idea is to see which has the coverage and works best.*

My Droid is with Verizon*and it*is a X, the wife's is on Sprint and when we went to get the phone the rep in the store said the EVO was having some battery issues if used a lot and he recommended the Samsung Epic so that is what she has.

We see very little difference between the two so far and the Sprint is unlimited time.* We have tried them side by side with the home desk top and the laptop.* It seems that Safari is a bit faster than Exploder when using the phones and my iPad.* We have tried them both against the Road Runner connection at home and they stack up pretty good.

Delfin,* I don't understand the need for the extra app.* I just turn on the hot spot on the phone then hook up the computer or iPad through the WiFi.* Why the need for the extra app?

Doc, I got rid of the air card for $60 a month.* The wife is at $80 and unlimited data, unlimited cell phone to cell phone with 250 minutes on land lines.***My Verizon is down to about*$100 but it carries the 2GB limit.*

-- Edited by JD on Wednesday 16th of February 2011 09:22:13 AM

JD wrote:Delfin,* I don't understand the need for the extra app.* I just turn on the hot spot on the phone then hook up the computer or iPad through the WiFi.* Why the need for the extra app?
I had these very same thoughts.

We change of the Verizon wifi card which basic call the same as the air card but more than one computer can access.* Costs the same as the air card.* Now we both have our computers connected, and we can take them to any where on the boat.* I have a Blackberry Storm that has tethering capabilities but I cancelled it as I can bourse the web on the Blackberry. **I found the tethering to the Blackberry was a lot slower than the wifi card.* The company pays for both, so I dont know what they cost as its one of the perks.* With the wifi card and the Blackberry I can do about 80% of my job from the boat.

SeaHorse II wrote:

JD wrote:Delfin,* I don't understand the need for the extra app.* I just turn on the hot spot on the phone then hook up the computer or iPad through the WiFi.* Why the need for the extra app?
I had these very same thoughts.

In the average world, the PDAnet app is only a one time fee(10 bucks). *It does not provide for wifi hotspot but after that initial 10 bucks, it is free. *Whereas the hotspot on Sprint is $30 a month. *Rooting your phone is simple and that is what I have done and it allows you the hotspot for free.

The PDAnet app is free and has a trial period(10 or 30 days...dont remember). *Once the trial period ends, you can no longer access secure sites(https:)....only http: *You gotta pay the 10 bucks if you want to continue having full access to all sites....obviously quite worth it.

Another note on Sprint....their premium data plans(10 bucks a month) are truly UNLIMITED. *You could use 30 gigs if you wanted.

The iPhone on AT&T does not allow wireless tether(wifi hotspot). *The hardware is capable but the only way to do it on AY&Y at this moment is to jailbreak the phone. *I have no clue if this is the case with iPhone on Verizon.

Baker wrote:

In the average world, the PDAnet app is only a one time fee(10 bucks). *It does not provide for wifi hotspot but after that initial 10 bucks, it is free. *Whereas the hotspot on Sprint is $30 a month. *Rooting your phone is simple and that is what I have done and it allows you the hotspot for free.

The PDAnet app is free and has a trial period(10 or 30 days...dont remember). *Once the trial period ends, you can no longer access secure sites(https:)....only http: *You gotta pay the 10 bucks if you want to continue having full access to all sites....obviously quite worth it.

Another note on Sprint....their premium data plans(10 bucks a month) are truly UNLIMITED. *You could use 30 gigs if you wanted.
So am I understanding this correctly.* If I put the PDAnet App on the Android with Sprint we can drop the $30 a month tether fee and for a one time $10 be done.* Sprint has unlimited data so the PDAnet would be the tether and the plan would supply the tether.* BTW they, PDAnet, have a new plan that does not require Rooting the phone or it does it automatically.

We have $30 unlimited data plan with Verizon for our*Android HTC Eris.* We use it as a modem for*PC using charging cable & software EasyTeather...free & fast.* No root changes...simple & fast.* Cost $10 to upgrade to https edition.

http://www.mobile-stream.com/easytether/android.html

-- Edited by BON DIA on Wednesday 23rd of February 2011 09:39:32 PM

JD wrote:

Baker wrote:

So am I understanding this correctly.* If I put the PDAnet App on the Android with Sprint we can drop the $30 a month tether fee and for a one time $10 be done.* Sprint has unlimited data so the PDAnet would be the tether and the plan would supply the tether.* BTW they, PDAnet, have a new plan that does not require Rooting the phone or it does it automatically.

JD, sorry I am late here. *Your assumption is correct. *BUT, the difference is that PDAnet is a wired tether...not wireless. *If that means anything to you.

And Bon Dia, Verizon's "Unlimited Data" plans are not unlimited....read the small print. *They still have data caps and if you exceed that cap, you will be charged. *As the iPhone comes on to Verizon's network, it will tax it even more and they will likely get even more stingy with their data. *I hope the iPhone never comes to Sprint. *That is why in my post I used the terms "truly unlimited"...because they are....and Verizon's is not(unless it is the aircard...in which case it is)!!

-- Edited by Baker on Sunday 27th of February 2011 08:38:36 AM

I upgraded to a Droid X & EasyTether works on it too.

Wise choice in my opinion. Android just gives a little bit more freedom to do what you want. iPhone is so locked down. I know it can be hacked but Many things you can do on Android don't require root access(like "sideloading" apps) whereas you have to hack the iPhone to do that. Heck, you have to hack the iPhone just to turn off the shutter noise on the camera. Android, you just go into the settings and turn off the noise. Anyway..... the Droid X is an excellent device. I don't know what verizon's return policy is but the next round of phones is coming out in the next 2 months....if that interests you. They will be dual core processors and at least 1 gig of RAM....IOW, they will be more powerful than the average Netbook. I am Sprint and I currently have an HTC EVO(Very similar to the X in specs although it has more gadgetry). The successor to this phone will be out in June....the EVO 3D!!! It will actually take pics and video in 3D without the need of glasses. Anyway, THat is all fluff. I am interested in the 1.2 gig dual core processor and increased RAM. Also, Verizon is rolling out their 4G network so that may interest you as well. The HTC Thunderbolt is their first 4G phone....amazingly it is almost exactly like the EVO....except it is on VZW and has their 4G LTE service.

To follow up, I got an iPhone 4 from At&T on April 27th and could not be more pleased. I tried to get it from Verizon since my service was there. I went to the Verizon store and got either a lying MF or a non knowledgable sales rep.

Small point, but PDAnet is free, or at least it was on my Droid X. *I use this routinely and find it is not noticably slower than my cable, all though of course it is. *It works flawlessly and although I sometimes am on the Internet for 24 hours at a time, I have never exceed the limits of my 'unlimited' data plan on Verizon.

I had the iPhone and had to keep it hacked, which was a nuisance. *I much prefer the Droid to the X in all things except synching music. *

I forgot to add that the iPhone is perceptively much faster than the air card even though both are cell phones. You Tube videos will play all the way through without all the buffering that I had before.

Doc, glad you are happy!!!! Enjoy! The iPhone is a fine device!!!! From what I understand, the top tiered plans at AT&T include the wireless tether for "free". The update to the iPhone came between this post and my other one a few months ago....obviously now you can tether wirelessly with the iPhone....as you already know.

Delfin.....

Note: Once trial expires, you can continue using PdaNet for free. The only difference is that free edition blocks secure web sites.

That is straight off of the PDAnet website. IOW, no httpS websites(secured/encrypted) will be supported. If you are alright with that, then yes, the free version will work just fine.

-- Edited by Baker on Friday 20th of May 2011 03:36:03 PM

Back
Top Bottom