Getting the shaft

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Port propellor shaft being installed Through "window" in rudder

Attachments

• img_0895.jpg
    img_0895.jpg
    215 KB · Views: 57
  • img_0899.jpg
    img_0899.jpg
    166.6 KB · Views: 55
  • img_0903.jpg
    img_0903.jpg
    171 KB · Views: 58
OK so your's is bigger than mine.

I have shaft envy.

SD

Sailor of Fortune wrote:
I bet you wouldn't want the corresponding "Yard Bill"!

Hey jack, Great shots! Where is the work being done?

Sailor of Fortune wrote:
Port propellor shaft being installed Through "window" in rudder
*No offence intended, please don't take exception to my question... but, *just gotta ask!

That why the four girls always*look so cuddly-happy in your avatar?? - LOL

It sure looks a biggy, and knowing how much mine cost to replace, I certainly don't begrudge him the pleasant company Art - which IS what you meant, right...?

Those girls look so cuddly happy because he just told them they won a free trip across the Atlantic in the Atlantic Surveyor!
Steve W

*Always GOOD to have*cuddly-happy girls around!
biggrin.gif

Hey Jack, I'd love to sea an overview shot of that vessel you drive Have you got any wide angle shots? I would even forgive you if you have to leave your cuddlies (blame Art) out of the picture.

The shaft is lowered into the graving dock with a crane. A forklift holds one end of the shaft while chainfalls under the hull take part of the load (from the crane) and then it is Pushed, pulled lubed and generally cajoled
into the bearing and stern tube. These shafts were sent out for their 5 year ABS inspection.

Peter B
I don't have any wide angle shots of her, but they are out their on the internet by Googling.

Forklift- The work is being done at Donjon Shipbuilding in Erie, Pa.
I got off Monday 12/10 so I won't be making the trip Back to New York. They should be underway tomorrow, hopefully! Trying to get out of the Great lakes before the locks shut down for the season.

Interesting,* I've never seen a rudder with a hole in it, but that's sure better than having to drop the rudder.* We just pulled the shafts on a cruise boat I'm working on, and there was a notch in the rudder just big enough to allow the shaft to pass. I wonder if adding a hole mignt not be a better option sometimes than pulling the rudder. I assume the hole is welded shut?..........Arctic Traveller

Arctic Traveller wrote:
Interesting,* I've never seen a rudder with a hole in it, but that's sure better than having to drop the rudder......I assume the hole is welded shut?..........Arctic Traveller
*No Arctic T, my CHB 34 rudder has a hole strategically placed as well, so by just turning the rudder to 90 degrees, (does mean loosening the quadrant a tad), the prop sharft will slide out through it.* The hole is permanent, it does not affect the rudder in any measuable way.

The window (hole) is to allow the shaft removal without removing the rudder. In a floating drydock, a hole is cut in the deck to allow the rudder to drop enough to clear the top of the rudder with the shaft. A graving dock is different, it has a cement floor so the window is cut in the rudder. These rudders had windows in them already and they just get closed back up. Aftre welding they have to be air tested to maintain water tight
integrity

Attachments

• img_0924.jpg
    img_0924.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 59
  • img_0926.jpg
    img_0926.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 59
  • img_0923.jpg
    img_0923.jpg
    161.3 KB · Views: 55
  • img_0914.jpg
    img_0914.jpg
    179 KB · Views: 56
My rudder -- with hole for shaft removal.

dvd

Attachments

• img_0125.jpg
    img_0125.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 62
Jack*

That is simply a finely designed*and beautiful boat... err ship you have there.* Her hull design is spectacular!* Thank you for the picts.* Do you have any of her while*cruising at sea?* I can feel the surge as you break through*wave!!

Again, THANKS!! - Art
biggrin.gif

Art
We are usually alone while at sea so I don't have any distance shots while running.

DVD* that is a handy set up for shaft removal. I have also seen twin screw set ups where the rudder is offset enough to slide the shaft by it.

-- Edited by Sailor of Fortune on Saturday 17th of December 2011 03:17:35 PM

Back
Top Bottom