Almost a trawler owner!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You sound like a candidate for the new Great Harbour Trailerable Trawler TT35. That is, if you can stand two gas outboards and a composting toilet.

It starts out looking like this with a longer cabin. Have hundreds of hours already invested day dreaming every system and space in this boat. Wonder if Sean can put a fantail on her?

DSCN0918.jpg

Ted

Someone has to go first. Who should it be?

Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

Ted, that's your dive boat isn't it? My Yankee boat, Possum, was originally designed as a dive boat as well. Who built yours?

Someone has to go first. Who should it be?

Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

Actually no customer should go first. They should build a boat and test it and prove it and be able to actually show the customer a boat and take them on it. I'm sorry, but I don't consider you a boat builder if you've never built a boat.

Ted, that's your dive boat isn't it? My Yankee boat, Possum, was originally designed as a dive boat as well. Who built yours?

Yes, that's my charter boat, a Bruno & Stillman 35.

Ted

I'm looking at a Cheoy Lee ...... Any comments ... ??

I'm a fan of Cheoy Lee. Like any boats, age and condition are important factors. However, they're an industry pioneer and build large numbers of commercial and recreational vessels.

So Parks-on the "Half" boat, which half do you have? The bow or the stern? Or, longitudinally, portside or starboard?

What's the story on their "foam sandwich technology" ........??

They were one of the first to build fiberglass boats and the foam sandwich technology simply refers to coring with foam as opposed to balsa and other woods. They've built over 5000 vessels of all types. As to details on their construction methods on different boats, best place to get that is from them.

Actually no customer should go first. They should build a boat and test it and prove it and be able to actually show the customer a boat and take them on it. I'm sorry, but I don't consider you a boat builder if you've never built a boat.

They've already sold 4 hulls.

http://www.seapiper.com/blog/

Looks like pretty professional work so far.

I like the look of that Seapiper 35. A NW bowpicker look. Website, design and
specifications list look well though out. They're still building tooling so a long way from actually having a boat. The center cockpit sure looks interesting and handy. Might be an interesting idea for designers to pursue. Though between it and the stern cockpit they're giving up a lot of boat length to cockpits.
Wishing the builder the beast of luck.

They've already sold 4 hulls.

News Blog - SeaPiper

Looks like pretty professional work so far.

They may or may not have sold 1 or 4. They've built none to completion and they've delivered none. They are still tooling and haven't finished Hull #1. Perhaps it will be great but as of today it's impossible to know how it will be.

While an interesting design, going outside to go between interior cabin spaces makes no sense to me.

Ted

I like to see folks come up with new ideas, but this design has always had problems for me. Having to go outside to get to the cabin is just one of them. That is a complete non-starter for my region. The second big issue is that the forward visibility looks to be extremely poor from the helm station.

It starts out looking like this with a longer cabin. Have hundreds of hours already invested day dreaming every system and space in this boat. Wonder if Sean can put a fantail on her?

View attachment 56480

Ted

Well here ya go, Ted. A B&S 35 Trail-Trawl with extended house and V-berth. Looks like a head or shower behind helm.

Attachments

• Teds head window ext.jpg
    Teds head window ext.jpg
    179 KB · Views: 329
Well here ya go, Ted. A B&S 35 Trail-Trawl with extended house and V-berth. Looks like a head or shower behind helm.

Where's the fantail swim platform? ;)

Ted

Its been said about Bruno and Stilman boats "They have been everywhere and done everything." Was mostly a NEW ENGLAND hero of the mid to late 70's and early 80's. Quality control problems overtook them in the early 80's and they went bankrupt. Non cored 42's and 35's are prized restoration candidates. Many of the cored boats are great but suspect. Older Downeast design that was slow by new tuna boat standards. 12-16 knots through anything. Nauset bought the molds and built them for a few years. I don't know if they still build on demand or not. Beautiful, easily driven hulls.

Why not take the FB off of a GB '32 and extend the roofline to cover the cockpit?

IMG_1474426123.711489.jpg

They were one of the first to build fiberglass boats and the foam sandwich technology simply refers to coring with foam as opposed to balsa and other woods. They've built over 5000 vessels of all types. As to details on their construction methods on different boats, best place to get that is from them.

Tollycraft (i.e. Mr. Tollefson) built over 6,500 boats. Amazing amount are still in use. Build quality is in general outstanding! Don't pass up a well cared for Tolly... If its size/model fits your bill.

Happy Tolly Daze! - Art :speed boat:

Why not take the FB off of a GB '32 and extend the roofline to cover the cockpit?

View attachment 56491

Bob, like the conversion you did to your boat. Been driving my Bruno & Stillman for 18 years. I really like the boat. If I did it, I would start with the hull, wash boards, fore deck, and trunk cabin, and build it from there up. It's not about what makes sense, is less costly, or easy, it's about building what you want.

Ted

Ted,

Great post, it is all about what we want!

Bob

Ted

Naw.....for a fantail, you're gonna have to smooth that thing out some. She's too square for a buxom butt.

Attachments

• Teds faintail ext.jpg
    Teds faintail ext.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 46
Ted,

Great post, it is all about what we want!

Bob

Super Agreed!

Affordable, Well Equipped/Comfortable Pleasure-Boat that Can Handle Seas [when necessary]. Operative term for what my wife and I want to [and do] own.

I believe this train of thought runs pervasively throughout most TF membership categories.

Attachments

• gb32.jpg
    gb32.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 58
  • GB32 sans fly.jpg
    GB32 sans fly.jpg
    159 KB · Views: 54
I like to see folks come up with new ideas, but this design has always had problems for me. Having to go outside to get to the cabin is just one of them. That is a complete non-starter for my region. The second big issue is that the forward visibility looks to be extremely poor from the helm station.

I would like to see if there's been a naval architect involved in the initial design and subsequent modifications of this boat. I've never even seen a model of this boat...just renderings. Seems a bit amateurish, including the pop-up shelters covered in blue tarp and bungee cords. I've seen airplane companies like this on a shoestring budget collapse after the first few orders. Making a dream an actual reality takes real dedication and professionalism. Many an honest effort has failed, but I also like innovation and fresh perspectives.

Ted

Naw.....for a fantail, you're gonna have to smooth that thing out some. She's too square for a buxom butt.

What???????? No swimstep? That is unacceptable! Ted might need a safety railing as well.

Bob's right. The smaller GB's sans fly-bridge really have style, but they're good looking either way.

I agree! My 32 Californian was designed to compete with the 32GB. You did a topless FlyWright once that was pretty plain-Jane, butt ugly. On the other hand, that 32GB looks pretty sharp topless!! Bob's a man of foresight! :thumb:

I agree! My 32 Californian was designed to compete with the 32GB. You did a topless FlyWright once that was pretty plain-Jane, butt ugly. On the other hand, that 32GB looks pretty sharp topless!! Bob's a man of foresight! :thumb:

Hmmm. I looked up that sans flybridge version of your boat and have to agree....it didn't look nearly as good as the GB. I wondered about that, figuring it must be the hardtop, and then maybe the raked rear window, but the change that ended up making the most difference was the windshield rake. Straight up with a visor looked somewhat better. Maybe the Californian was really designed "for" the FB.

Attachments

• Als boat sans fly.jpg
    Als boat sans fly.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 47
  • Als boat sans fly straght windshield.jpg
    Als boat sans fly straght windshield.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom