Gauging interest

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fireant4040

I'm seriously thinking about selling my '78 Albin 36' with a 210 Cummins and 8kw Kohler genset. What have you all found to be the best time for selling an old trawler? Any other advise would also be nice also. Thanks in advance.

Location, location , location as they say

Sent from my iPhone using Trawler Forum

the best time is when someone is looking for it.

get it on the market and advertise it worldwide...the Web helps there.

no matter what people or brokers say, if it ain't on the street for sale....NOBODY is going to buy it.

clean her up and git'er done.

10:00 a.m. is good. It allows you to get a good breakfast in and coffee up.

If a person is serious about selling price it to move, I did and have no regrets. So many folks waste time (sometimes years)holding out for absolute top dollar. Most of us are of an age group that should appreciate the time value of money. Good luck no matter what you decide.

I'm seriously thinking about selling my '78 Albin 36' with a 210 Cummins and 8kw Kohler genset. What have you all found to be the best time for selling an old trawler?...
I think you are asking what time of year is good to sell. Here, and I`m guessing elsewhere, people seem to start looking seriously for a boat late winter/spring, to be ready to go boating in summer. Conversely, the market seems to go quiet in autumn-mid winter. Even so, there are the counter cyclical buyers who go looking for straw hats in winter, probably bargain hunters. So I`d say spring but really, when you`re ready to sell, just put it on the market. Here,as well as the usual sites.

If spring is when most people put their boat on the market, I would do it now, less competition. Someone is always looking, cause it's their right time to buy.

Ted

And even though it may be "off season" where your boat is someone may be planning to move it to a different area of the country.

If a person is serious about selling price it to move, I did and have no regrets. So many folks waste time (sometimes years)holding out for absolute top dollar. Most of us are of an age group that should appreciate the time value of money. Good luck no matter what you decide.

I did the same, and also have no regrets. I didn't have to deal with any low ballers, and got 95% of my asking price. I posted in the dead of winter, and didn't get any nibbles until early spring, but once the calls started coming in, it wasn't long before she was sold.

Transparency

When you advertise for sale, please be absolutely transparent in your listing or demand same of the broker. I won't contemplate spending time and money to visit a boat out of my area unless the listing smells of integrity.

I purchased our current boat in upstate New York, in January. After the professional broker connected me with the honest owner, I felt comfort in digging deeper. I flew in from Washington to make a deal (it was over -20 degrees on the way to the survey).

I have been looking at a listing on a boat in my area. It has more than average engine hours, but it is not excessive considering the brands involved and mission of the boat. It's interesting that the boat is priced right, shows well, yet it's still for sale. The broker recently removed the engine hours from an otherwise thorough yachtworld spec sheet. I don't know who decided that less information was good, but that was enough for me to spit the hook.

Good luck with your decision.

Jeff

Clean it up inside and out and keep it that way.

Don't take any pictures that look like a homeless person is currently living in it.

Straighten up the interior, engine space, interior and exterior storage spaces and keep them that way.

Clean the heads and showers very well.

If you or a broker go to show the boat make sure all the curtains are open and the lights are on.

Clean it up inside and out and keep it that way.

Don't take any pictures that look like a homeless person is currently living in it.

Straighten up the interior, engine space, interior and exterior storage spaces and keep them that way.

Clean the heads and showers very well.

If you or a broker go to show the boat make sure all the curtains are open and the lights are on.

As soon as you do the above. No time is better then the present.

I bought my current boat earlier this year in January. It was 20 something degrees out the day that I looked at her.

Last edited:
The best time in cold weather climates is spring, when the boat is on the water, de-winterized, ready to run.

In South Florida, the best time is late summer to early fall for the winter season. September-October are good.

That said, I'd put it on the market when I was ready and when it was ready. Boats sell every month of the year.

"Paint may, but clean probably sells it better, cheaper..."

And popping a loaf of bread in the oven to bake works well, just like in a house

user_offline.gif

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom