Life Span of Hose?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
How often do you change the hoses on your car? In most cases they operate at higher pressure than hoses on the boat. I know that we never changed a hose on our 1998 Subaru and it was fine in 2015 when we replaced it. The same was true of my '96 F150 when I traded it in 2011. That said, I do change the hoses that carry sea water on about a 15 year schedule. I have not had one that was in poor condition. I also replaced all rubber on my engine when I had it out of the boat in 2014. That was the first hose replacement since the engine was new in 1987. A couple hoses were a bit soft, but not close to failure.

For the record, this thread has caused me to order the hose kit for my Lehman 135. Don't know if I couldn't get a few more years out of the current hoses but the cost was not that great.

For the record, this thread has caused me to order the hose kit for my Lehman 135. Don't know if I couldn't get a few more years out of the current hoses but the cost was not that great.

I've been thinking about the same thing. Unfortunately mine are a pair of DD 6-71s so I suspect I'm looking at $$$.

My Yanmar is 15 years old now, and the on-engine hoses are all original with factory silver paint. They feel fine, but I just ordered a full set. I'll replace them when I change coolant later this year.

Great discussion and a reminder to think about those hoses.:thumb:

Shortly after I bought my current boat I replaced all coolant, fuel and oil lines. They all appeared original - 25 years old. Some coolant lines looked like they needed it (swollen or hard) some didn't. The fittings on the oil lines were rusting and the hoses felt very hard. I found 3 rubber fuel lines actually porous and seeping fuel. I changed them on *my* schedule and its a major item I don't have to worry about.

I think every 5 years regardless of appearance is a bit excessive. But I think 25 is too long.

Ken

Two months after we purchased our boat, the main engine exhaust house split while we were underway. Never knew it until after we rafted up to another boat on a mooring, and it began to get dark. The inverter wasn't working, so up came a hatch to investigate. Water was up to the bottom of the oil pan. The spray wiped out the inverter. The boat had no high water alarm, and Murphy made sure the float switch wasn't working. (It did at the survey) Luckily no siphon action, and the pumps worked with the manual switches. Had it been much more of a trip, we would have been in big trouble.
Another boring hose story....chased an overheating genny for a while, replacing impellers, cleaning heat exchanger, etc with no luck. Finally, while removing the raw water pump again, I heard the telltale crunch in the intake hose, about a foot away from the pump. Damn thing had delaminated and blocked the flow. So now it's my routine to check hoses monthly or so. Replaced all the intake and exhaust hoses. Probably do it on a seven to ten
year cycle, but it depends on how they're doing.

Back
Top Bottom