Which diesel engines

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hi, I am making an offer on a 1987 42'Nova Sundeck Trawler with twin deisel Volvo engines. I fell in love with the looks of this boat, but am pretty new to all this, so would love your experienced advice on what I'm getting myself into with this engine?
Will be getting a survey, etc this weekend
Thanks!

Don't worry too much about it. Parts, while expensive, are not hard to find if you know where to look. Volvo is still making parts for all (or most of) their engines. Like any engine, you just need to do your homework before you buy. PM me and I can tell you where to look and give you some more info.

Last edited:
"The only place I have seen a Hino is in Bayliner....and in trucks in Japan. "

As I look out my window now in Long Island NY we are getting a food delivery by a Hino powered reefer truck. Across the street you can often see two Hino powered flatbeds that are the most used by a towing outfit that operates there. Across the street in the other direction the Deli and Liquor stores often get deliveries by trucks powered by Hino's. Fairly common and well regarded on trucking sites where they discuss mid sized straight trucks or every kind.

It was just an observation. I wasn't ragging on the engines. Quite the contrary. They just aren't that popular over here. They are VERY popular in Japan. I think they are related to Toyota in some way???

Hino makes a good engine, no doubt. But the marinized ones used a bunch of aluminum in manifolds, etc and had corrosion issues. And it may be hard to find the parts at this point. But that is not Hino's fault.

MBMC- What specific Volvos are you looking at?

1987 twin diesel Volvo

I imagine they made more than just one model of engine that year. Do you know the model? Maybe the horsepower rating at least?

THank you!!

Here's the info I have- same for ea of two engins:

Engine 1:
Engine Brand: Volvo
Engine Model: TMD41A
Engine/Fuel Type: Diesel
Engine Hours: 2500
Drive Type: Direct Drive
Engine Power: 150 HP

Hino is a subsidiary of Toyota. Hino branded trucks sell in Australia. The Hino engine was commonly fitted in Bayliners, the 4588 owners on my marina seem happy with them.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom