Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
re: Tell Me About Wood Boat Maintenance

Quote:
ksanders wrote:

Wooden boat maintenance is something I have zero actual knowledge of.*

I know that before fiberglass boats were made of steel or wood. I know many of the issues of maintaining fiberglass hull boats. I have no clue about wooden boats though.

Thinking about a wooden boat hull.

How is the outside of the hull sealed?

What types of finishes are used, and how long do they last?

What types of wood are used for the hull, for the stringers, and for the deck.

Thanks very much...Kevin
Hi Kevin
With all due respect, from the statements you made and questions you ask, re caring for a wood boat... I strongly recommend you locate a fiberglass boat you like.* *
That said, youd need to be and may well be a very fast learner and would enjoy accomplishing ongoing repeat efforts and upgrades toward wood care.* Wood is great; I know having worked for years on many wood craft in boatyards for the first decades of my life.* But! A good fiberglass boat is 10 times easier to care for and 20 times less work effort than a woody needing repairs; therefore its a whole lot more fun... in my opinion!* Thats why I own a real nice fiberglass Tollycraft, even though I know how to take care of wood boats pretty darn well.
Although most wood boats*are now extremely inexpensive, the cost of maintenance and repair could become very, very expensive... that is if you cant do the repairs yourself and can even locate any Boatwright that will still work on (or even still has the tools available for) a wood hull or superstructure.* At todays depressed boat prices there are plenty of fiberglass craft in good condition for reasonable prices.* Some of them the current owner simply no longer uses and wants to get out from under ownership and the resulting dock/storage fees.*
Dont be afraid to offer really low prices... ya never know... what a fiberglass boat owner may accept could surprise you!* BTW My rule of thumb regarding old, out of shape wood boats in todays depressed economy, if you can find one with good bones and decide to fall in love with it and take on the task of its upgrade with continued maintenance.... Unless the wood boat is in pristine condition to begin with its only worth about 10% of the price of a comparable very good condition fiberglass boat.* However, if its built correctly by a good boat builder, and its in great condition then a wood boat is worth whatever the buyer decides to pay for his upcoming love affair with a wood craft!
Whatever boat you buy... take your time... visit many boats first and make comparisons.* Ask many questions and be careful to do your homework.* Then if you really like one, make sure a recent survey is available from a certified surveyor.* If its a wood boat be sure the surveyor is not too young to fully understand wood boats and that he or she has experience from several previous wood boat surveys.* Also, be sure to have the surveyor have seen it on the hard and for you (surveyor too if possible) to take a prolonged sea trial before purchase.*
Once you locate your new boat - - > Have a kick A$$ time!* Happy boating to you and yours! - Art

Art is offline   Reply With Quote