GB 42 MY or Defever 44

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bshillam

Guru
Vessel Name
Our Heaven
Vessel Make
1997 4800 Navigator
This last weekend I toured all the boats at the Seattle boat show and came away with a new sense of the mission. I did look over a OA 42 prior to the show, went down into the ER and things felt a little cramped. Maybe because I am wanting to get away from crawling on my knees. Then I headed to see a solid broker representing the Grand Banks, I sat, opened up cabinets, went into the engine room, walked around the boat and tried to really get a sense of build quality, layout etc. The 42 GB was a really nice fit for space, quality and funds required. So now comes the comparison between the GB and DF. I am flying out to Bellingham in the next weekend to look at both side by side. Does anyone have direct experience with either?

I found out today that the GB had a pre sale survey that found about 200 cosmetic blisters. What? I have had a Tolly and Willard and didn't experience that many. Has anyone heard of GB having that kind of an issue?

Why, do you want to poke around in/on it for me?

Perhaps, might be one that I am familiar with.

She is a one owner boat that I look at every time i walk by. Teak decks are a little thin and the electronics are outdated. Nice looking boat Needs some elbow grease.

I found out today that the GB had a pre sale survey that found about 200 cosmetic blisters. What?
Maybe they are the kind you treat with facial cream, instead of grinding them to a dish shape until dry, and filling with mat and epoxy.

I have an 87 GB42MY and absolutely love it. Total quality. We've had some minor blistering and dealt with it easily with barrier coat.

On my recently purchased OA 456, I found hundreds of tiny blisters - pimples really that were easily popped with my finger nail. I hauled the boat, sanded them off - with little effort, barrier coated and painted. I pulled the boat 4 months later to work on a thru hull and found no blisters.

Your mileage may differ, but the local wags say that blisters are only a problem when you are buying or selling.

Gordon

KK

Ultimately my budget is going to be close to $150k on the next boat. Although looking quite nice from the pics the KK is a cored hull which I would like to avoid and it's quite bit higher than my budget allows. I know they moved away from cored under the waterline but I wasn't sure of the year they did that.

Back
Top Bottom