Annoying Sponsored Ads

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

drb1025

Guru
Vessel Name
Fiddler
Vessel Make
DeFever 46
With the latest TF iPad/iPhone app update comes an onslaught of sponsored ads that appear as posts. Is there a way to turn these off or block them? I find them very intrusive and annoying.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't have that problem at all. Don't even remember an add recently.

Maybe it comes w the app?

I haven't even been annoyed by members lately. And to that ... far less than one a year since 07.

Last edited:
I don't have that problem at all. Don't even remember an add recently.

Maybe it comes w the app?

I haven't even been annoyed by members lately. And to that ... far less than one a year since 07.

IMG_1474217505.571972.jpg

Here is a screen shot of what I see. Notice the second "post".

I see this kind of thing all over the internet.

The concept is that the money to run this forum comes from revenue generated when you click on an ad. Every click and TF gets a VERY small amount of $$.

In order to increase the "click through rate" Advertisements look similar to other things on a web site.

I would just get used to it, because it is not going away any time soon. The cool, or creepy thing depending on how you look at it is that the advertisements you see are based on things you have expressed an interest in or searched for.

You're advertisement is for Zillo, so it sounds like you have been loking at real estate lately. :blush:

I understand the reason for ads. However, I never saw them prior to the recent update to the apps. That was the main reason for using the apps instead of the desktop which is also littered with ads. I would gladly pay a couple bucks for an ad-free version.

Hey Nomad, not even me? I'll have to try harder!

If you cross the gulf, wave a tea towel as you pass the Trail Islands, I'm lurking here now. In fact, if you get to Pender Harbour, send up a rocket and I'll come and catch your lines or we can have a beer in the pub.

I would like to add that I don't at all like the new app!

However, that is just a first impression. We will see how it is in a couple of weeks.

Wifey B: We don't ever use the app. We use very few mobile apps to visit web sites. Always come to the full site. Apps :nonono::nonono::nonono::nonono:

I would never, ever, EVER click on any ad. You can't trust anything on the net anymore. Disguising ads so that you accidently click on them is a disgusting practice. Same with placing ads next to frequently used buttons and the ones that flash at you constantly.

I would like to add that I don't at all like the new app!

However, that is just a first impression. We will see how it is in a couple of weeks.

^^^This!

This new app sucks is my totally and completely biased opinion but the reality is this new format is the only hope the site owner has to monetize their app traffic. Last time I checked, which was around two years ago, almost 25% of TF traffic was generated through the app.

^^^This!

This new app sucks is my totally and completely biased opinion but the reality is this new format is the only hope the site owner has to monetize their app traffic. Last time I checked, which was around two years ago, almost 25% of TF traffic was generated through the app.

Makes sense as you can't afford to get zero revenue from 25% of your business.

I do not like ads -- hate them with a passion, actually -- but this free forum can only exist because it generates some income for the folks who are hosting it. If it did not generate some income, then they would not host it. Kind of like watching TV I guess -- the commercials pay for the shows which you watch. I kicked the TV habit a long, long time ago. But I do like the TF, and so am willing to put up with the ads.

Hey Nomad, not even me? I'll have to try harder!

If you cross the gulf, wave a tea towel as you pass the Trail Islands, I'm lurking here now. In fact, if you get to Pender Harbour, send up a rocket and I'll come and catch your lines or we can have a beer in the pub.

Yup yo need to try harder haha
I'll look up dose islands .. prolly near Pender. May be on the east side on the way south.
PS I still have that hydraulic winch. Make me an offer I may refuse and you may have it. Come and get it and we'll put you up for the night.

...reality is this new format is the only hope the site owner has to monetize their app traffic. Last time I checked, which was around two years ago, almost 25% of TF traffic was generated through the app.
Fortunately I don`t use the mobile app, but the ethical issue of barring adverts which support the site financially exercised my mind when considering using an advt. blocker. There seemed to be so many sites accompanying my every move on TF it was affecting using the site. I expected Owners to join the discussion, but they did not.

I don't know how it happened, but I no longer get the ads disguised as posts. Divine intervention.

I don't know how it happened, but I no longer get the ads disguised as posts. Divine intervention.

Well If you ever figure it out, let us know! I just updated the app, and I've got like 50% real threads, and 50% ads. I use the app a lot, and it's definitely something I'd like to be rid of.

Well If you ever figure it out, let us know! I just updated the app, and I've got like 50% real threads, and 50% ads. I use the app a lot, and it's definitely something I'd like to be rid of.

It was only temporary. They are back with a vengeance.

^^^This!

Ok... after a few weeks, I have actually grown to like it a little bit. Who knew?

Wifey B: We don't ever use the app. We use very few mobile apps to visit web sites. Always come to the full site. Apps :nonono::nonono::nonono::nonono:

Totally agree. Apps can do great things, with access to the camera and sensors on your phone. It's theoretically possible to write an app that would do celestial navigation using the inclination sensor, magnetic sensor and camera on your phone. Loading nautical charts and having a native app to display them is extremely useful.

But that kind of app takes time and money to develop. There's an easier way to get rich writing apps. Create an app to take data already available at a regular web site, re-arrange it, insert some advertisements and pass it off as something new.

Ever notice how most of the weather sites have the same data? Go directly to noaa.gov and you'll get the same thing, right from the source.

The web browser is your friend. You never know what you'll get with apps.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom