View Single Post
Old 09-18-2016, 10:17 AM   #16
BandB
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
Well said, and spot on. Having been in both camps, I can attest to the fact that while there is in some a superficial misconception re the 'other side', born out of envy basically, deep down, once a boatie, always a boatie, and it matters not what means of propulsion it has. They float, and take you places you'd otherwise never get to, that's what really matters - that's all that matters.
We've never been sailors, only occasional ride alongs. However, we've never thought negatively about sailors other than about those few who show such disdain for power boaters. We think most sailors are great, just can't imagine having to do all that work. To those with disdain, even hate, for power boaters, we found the underlying reasons for many. They share similar distastes for large fully equipped power boats. They are typically those who are among the $500 a month liveaboard crowd, another group I admire because they are doing something I certainly don't know how they do. However, their underlying dislike isn't for power boaters but those in better economic situations than them and power boaters represent those. Knowing that, it's a lot easier to understand and it's a lot less bothersome.

The other talk is just that, no different than Ford owners and Chevy owners talking smack about each other. Those who cross over to trawlers typically come from this type group, not the "hate" group. These are those who choose sailing because of love for it over power, not because they can't afford a power boat.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote