Krogen 42 Fuel Tank Replacement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Larry M

Guru
Site Team
We found a leaking fuel tank this spring so we started the replacement process this week. Since we had to pull the engine to get to the fuel tanks, we'll rebuild the running gear and engine (8400 hours) while the new tanks are being fabricated. The engine room, hoses, insulation paneling, etc will also be renewed.

Week 1: We hauled on Monday. Did the vessel protect, removed the running gear, then the engine and stripped the engine room. Next week the tanks.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    152.7 KB · Views: 458
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 489
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 534
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 484
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 505
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 473

Attachments

• 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    167.8 KB · Views: 480
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 416
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 439
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    195.2 KB · Views: 455
  • 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 568
Last edited:
Wow! Look like a ship shape engine room!
Good luck on your re fit!

I'm having flash backs. :eek:

engine pull 2 (2).jpg

Larry, I'm here for you .......with moral support.

Don will be chiming in shortly to tell you to hurry up as you only have 4 1/2 months till Fort Pierce get together. :rolleyes:

Ted

Thanks for posting this project. I am very interested and appreciate the effort to inform the rest of us. :thumb:

Good luck!

Nice project Larry . Looks like you have it well under control .

Thanks for posting this project. I am very interested and appreciate the effort to inform the rest of us. :thumb:

Good luck!

Yeah, Larry: Great that you decided to post the project. While I was in the Indiantown, FL yard for six months, another 42 was doing tanks. Man, what a mess. He was still there when I left, two months behind schedule. Here's a couple of shots of the tanks as they performed a mock fit. Turns out that the tanks were about an inch too long.

Attachments

• IMG_0015.jpg
    IMG_0015.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 380
  • IMG_0017.jpg
    IMG_0017.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 399
Yeah, Larry: Great that you decided to post the project. While I was in the Indiantown, FL yard for six months, another 42 was doing tanks. Man, what a mess. He was still there when I left, two months behind schedule. Here's a couple of shots of the tanks as they performed a mock fit. Turns out that the tanks were about an inch too long.

Shhhhh! Don't upset Larry's Karma! Think on time, pleasant thoughts. :flowers:

Ted

Holy crap! 1" too long. :facepalm::eek::eek:

We're going to try to get each tank out in 1 piece. If that doesn't work we'll cut one foot off then try again. If that doesn't work we'll cut another 6" off. The tanks are 9' long now. I know we can get a 7.5' tank out with a direct vertical lift. I'm hoping to be able to tilt the tanks and take them out diagonally at 9'. I only want 2 tanks when were done, not 4. The worst case is our total capacity goes from ~750 gallons down to ~600 plus gallons.

What ever size we get out, will go directly to the tank fabricators so they can mirror the tanks. What comes out, should go back in right? :)

My greatest nightmare! Looks like it's coming along. I wish you excellent karma!

Just remember properly mounting and securing the tank will determine its service life, as much as stopping deck leaks .

What ever size we get out, will go directly to the tank fabricators so they can mirror the tanks. What comes out, should go back in right? :)

Theoretically, yes, but when she's sitting on stands for any length of time, be aware that carefully reducing the up pressure on the aft corner stand (letting the stern hang) can make up to 1.5" difference in removal clearance overnight.

Last edited:
Larry, of course Lou and I wish you the best for your project. However, as Ted said, you can consider this a gentle reminder to be in Fort Pierce in February for the TF South Florida Gathering.

There will be no excuses accepted even if written notes are offered from mothers, mechanics, doctors, or under takers. Those not attending will face serious consequences yet to be determined. :D

That's a nice benefit to be able to pull everything out through the aft doors . When the PO changed out my engine they pulled it out through the wheel house floors and cut a hole through the roof .

Wow, Larry!! That's a huge project! You've made great progress already. Hope the schedule holds but more importantly, hope all the work is well done - correctly the first time. Is this a yard you've hired before? Are you assisting in the project?

Thanks for posting the project. I'll be watching and cheering in the background. This could be one of those projects where you keep saying to yourself, "Well, as long as I'm in here and this is accessible, I might as well..."

Good luck! :popcorn:

Wow, Larry!! That's a huge project! You've made great progress already. Hope the schedule holds but more importantly, hope all the work is well done - correctly the first time. Is this a yard you've hired before? Are you assisting in the project?

Thanks for posting the project. I'll be watching and cheering in the background. This could be one of those projects where you keep saying to yourself, "Well, as long as I'm in here and this is accessible, I might as well..."
Good luck! :popcorn:

This is our first time in this yard, St Johns Boat Co, JAX. It's one of the few yards in the area where we can do as much or as little work as we want. The manager has been here for 4 years and previously worked for Huckins. The yard and manager both get high marks locally. They have a different and interesting business model: a minimal in-house staff supported by a stable of local experts.

Our project team consists of 3 entities. The yard and a local 2 person company (recommended by the yard) gave us a T&M not to exceed to physically remove the engine and tanks and a T&M not to exceed to reinstall both. I hired another ex-Huckins employee, who is out on his own, to help us disconnect the engine electrically and reconnect later. He'll also help with the fuel manifold system and make sure everything else is to ABYC guidelines or as close as possible. I've known Eric for 3 years and he is probably one of the best ABYC techs in the JAX area IMHO. The big decider for us was that the 3 groups know each other and have a long history of working together.

The tanks will be built by RDS Aluminum in Perry, FL. I sent out 5 RFPs. RDS and one other company were the only ones who have the capability to build the tanks. The tanks have a radius against the hull which eliminated 3 firms. RDS's quote, with listed assumptions, came in at $5,579/tank. We visited RDS a few weeks ago and feel confident with them building our tanks.

We'll run the engine and running gear up to Bomac Marine for rebuilding this weekend.

Lena and I will take care of removing/installing everything else in the engine room, renewing it, rewiring, re-plumbing, etc. We will get help as we need it from the yard, Eric or the other 2-man team. The yard already helped out by bringing the forklift over during battery removal.

We were lucky that we are able to rent a furnished cottage 0.1 mile from the boat yard. After living on the hard for 6 months the last time we did a
major, Lena put her foot down this time. Definitely a good call on her part.

Project creep, well, I may try to sneak a few things past the project's cost analyst (Lena) but that could be hard. She knows that what we save here is part of our vacation next year.

I think we're off to a good start with costs for the week (excluding the haul-out) just under $1000. We're not naïve and one week isn't the project. A project like this can go sideways in a hurry but I try to look at things as being half full though which makes sleeping a little easier.

Let the game continue. :)

Last edited:
Subscribed!!! Larry, we will have decent internet for 7 more weeks, let me know if there is anything I can help with.

Specifically in regard to this project, I am glass half full as well. Larry and Lena, you are clearly pros in terms of both the boating escapades and boat care. I suspect that the outcomes of this project will be far more influenced by your good conception and planning of this undertaking than good luck, though I wish you that as well.

Bravo for an inspiring project and post,

Larry, adding my thanks to you for sharing progress and details on this project. As Donna noted, it's one of the things everyone with an old boat (or considering buying one) thinks about. Wishing you a smooth and uneventful yard visit.

Also good to hear your positive assessment of St. Johns Boat Works. I learned recently that the yard had changed hands, and wondered what else might change. So far, so good!

Subscribed!!! Larry, we will have decent internet for 7 more weeks, let me know if there is anything I can help with.

Will do Scott. If you see us doing anything questionable, please let me know. You've been though most of it, successfully, on a KK42.

Specifically in regard to this project, I am glass half full as well. Larry and Lena, you are clearly pros in terms of both the boating escapades and boat care. I suspect that the outcomes of this project will be far more influenced by your good conception and planning of this undertaking than good luck, though I wish you that as well.

Bravo for an inspiring project and post,

Thanks Bill.

Larry, adding my thanks to you for sharing progress and details on this project. As Donna noted, it's one of the things everyone with an old boat (or considering buying one) thinks about. Wishing you a smooth and uneventful yard visit.

Also good to hear your positive assessment of St. Johns Boat Works. I learned recently that the yard had changed hands, and wondered what else might change. So far, so good!

Thanks and yes, ~3 weeks ago the boat yard changed hands. We haven't met the new owner but so far he's hands off. All the day to day personnel who I'm/will be dealing with are still there and nothings changed, yet... We're keeping our fingers crossed. The yards real busy and Hobo's small potatoes. I keep you posted.

Just remember properly mounting and securing the tank will determine its service life, as much as stopping deck leaks .

:thumb: Yup. I'll be using GPO3 to isolate the tanks from the hull, moisture and fiberglass. This is where some extra time/detail/extra $s will be spent. More on this later.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom