View Single Post
Old 09-16-2016, 08:30 PM   #5
Chris K
Veteran Member

City: Conn
Vessel Name: Queen Neptune
Vessel Model: Mainship
Hi Skier,
If you have 50k to spend, I'm assuming it's for the purchase plus some $$$ for "maintenance". Soft decks are not a real problem as was well said before. But removing those teak decks will add to your project. If looking to live aboard then do the loop, I'd be looking at aft cabins exclusively. Maintenance records on older boats aren't as common as folks would believe, ergo a good look at the machinery, as well as a decent survey would be worthwhile. I'd personally only have a survey with the understanding I would be there discussing the boat with the surveyor as it happens. Might cost a few bucks more, but you will have a understanding of the projects going forward.
In my opinion, I'd never buy a boat for the experience. I'd buy it because it fit my needs as I see them.

I own a 82 Mainship I, The $$$ going in, the time going in are a labor of love. I do it knowing I'll never get the investment back. This is close to a new looking and performing boat, well maintained, that said, it will always have a top value which would surprise me if it hit 45k. I mention this because there are many people like me who maintain their boats meticulously and then find themselves selling them for what actually is a song. (Mine is not for sale). but take your time;--- those really great boats are out there. Invest in one of those!!!

Btw if you know of a nice Krogen 42 @ 125k. let me know--- then mine might just be for sale.