GB 32 trailering height question--Newbie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tapinkham

Hi,

I am about to make an offer on a 1978 GB 32 Sedan. I will need to truck it from Lyme Connecticut to Portsmouth, NH. Does anyone know what the height of the boat including fly-bridge is?
Thanks so much!
This is quite exciting!
Tim

Typically the height from the bottom of the keel to the top of the flying bridge (venturi wind screen) is 13'x 9". This does not include the mast (it will have to be laid down). Your transportation company will (should) have a specially-designed trailer which will minimize the distance between the keel and the road surface. GB32s are transported this way routinely.

Good luck! And remember, this is the Internet! I might be making this all up, so check with the current owner of the boat or measure yourself...

GB 32 trailering hieght question--Newbie

Why not hire a captain and take her on her own bottom? You could go along and learn the boat at the same time.

Here is the graving plan for a 32' GB. Should answer all of your questions. Whatever you do don't remove the flybridge for shipping, it's a bitch.

Bob

Attachments

• Graving Plan.png
    Graving Plan.png
    115.1 KB · Views: 368
After reviewing Bob's graving plans I realize I made a mistake. The 13' x 9" is near the bottom of the venturi. Therefore, you'll have to remove the windscreen as that adds another foot or so.

Thanks guys!
Bob, is there a website that might have more drawings? I know I will need to replace the fuel tank as well not to mention ripping up the teak. :(
I love this boat!
Tim

Tim,

http://www.grandbanksowners.com is a great place to start.
We have a Facebook page for our boat, look up M/V Ebbtide. Also there is a thread on this site called Transformation Continues that follows along with what we have done,

Just got off the phone with a boat hauler. He says 14 feet is too high for CT and MA. Need to take off the fly bridge. Damn!

Why not hire a captain and take her on her own bottom? You could go along and learn the boat at the same time.

Time, Gmarr :(

Bridge removal/reinstall isn't trivial or inexpensive...no experience but have heard many horror stories.

You might try a delivery Capt - even if you can't participate
Could you do a smaller section of the trip w/ a del'y Capt?

I'm sitting at a marina and just heard the cost to move a boat by land about the same number of miles. I betcha could hire Captain Phillips and the whole team to fight the Pirates for the same sum or probably much less

There ya' go! Plus if you had a bit of time you could join one or more segments of the delivery.

Time, Gmarr :(

Maybe do it yourself, in stages? Distance isn't all that far. Run it from Lyme to somewhere and leave it for a week. Pick it up later, make another segment. Repeat as necessary.

??

-Chris

Thanks one and all, I contacted a guy (captain) I worked with at West Marine and he thinks we can do it in two long days and it will be cheaper than trucking. :)
Now it makes me wonder if limiting myself to East coast folks is a good idea when it comes time to sell.
My wife thinks I'm over thinking this?
Thanks again!!!!

When it comes to sell, put it on the international web; Yachtworld or whatever. The buyer pays for transportation. So, yes, your wife is correct!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom