Old 09-16-2016, 02:13 PM   #64
menzies
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesK View Post
Deploying or retrieving the anchor from the helm only works if you don't secure the rode while anchored or while underway. You have to go to the bow to let it loose so it can be put down or brought up. Or did you forget to read the directions for the windlass?

Never use the windlass to pull the boat forward towards the anchor. Use the engine. Or did you forget to read the directions for the windlass?

If your anchor won't come up easily with the windlass, cleat the rode off and use the boat's engine or wave action to free it. Then pull it up with the windlass. I don't know if that's in the windlass directions or not but it does take the strain off the windlass.

Adjust the clutch on the windlass so it slips before the windlass stalls or slows down. If it won't pull the anchor up at this setting, see the paragraph above.

If your wife has trouble doing the anchor thing, swap places with her. Let her drive the boat and you handle the anchor.
Well now I don't fully agree with all that, and certainly not the tonality!

One can lower the anchor, then go to the bow and do the snubber later. Inversely one can remove the snubber and then go to the PH to retrieve.

Also, it is darned difficult to cleat off 3/8 chain. Doable of course by threading a line from cleat to link, but not what I would be having my anchor wench or myself do! I would rather set the pawl let out an inch or so to have the pawl take up the strain and push forward.

Reading the manual. Always a good idea. Though for some doing so means you have to hand in your man card!
menzies is offline   Reply With Quote