Starboard swim platform

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HeyJude

Vessel Name
HEY JUDE
Vessel Make
Kadey Krogen 36 Manatee #46
My desire to add a swim platform, 96"x22", to our KK36 Manatee has led me to a manufacturer in NY who cuts them on a CNC router from a solid 1.5" sheet of starboard. My design would look similar to the white platform to the left of the pic of Jackie C.

Marine Plastic Innovations, Inc.

Does anyone have any insight or suggestions ref this design, material &/or business? Does anyone know of another shop that does similar work?

Thanks, PD

I love working with Starboard. Are they going to use the nonskid Starboard or the regular finish? If it is the regular finish, it will be slippery, not to mention quite heavy either way. If you can live with the weight, go for it. I have a Plasteak bow pulpit on a 32' Trojan, looks great and is very nonskid.

Curious to know the cost as compared to building a fiberglass one.

To Comodave...it will be the "non-skid" SB. Weight ~ 100lbs & no issue for the boat.
To Fog...~ $800 plus shipping. I'm awaiting shipping quote from manufacture. Construction of custom stainless brackets will be the biggest cost.

I have been considering a Starboard swim platform also. Liked the idea of the textured surface. Mine would have to be a custom size sheet. Not looking forward to the price.

Ted

Had a Starboard swim platform like the OP shows on our boat when we bought it. It had no structural rigidity and sagged between the platform supports. The sags got worse over time.

Replaced it with one I built out of Plasteak and have been very happy with it. I did, on the company's advice, add three SS longitudinals sandwiched between planks as our supports were farther apart than recommended. The wetter the material gets, the more non-skid it is. Easy to keep clean. No sagging. They'll build one for you if you don't want to build it yourself.

https://www.plasteak.com/plasteak-recycled-plastic-products/swim-platforms

Attachments

• plateakplatform.jpg
    plateakplatform.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 191
  • IMG_0234.jpg
    IMG_0234.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 109
I made my small swim platform out of 1" Starboard to replace the teak one for maintenance ease and I am very pleased that I did. It is extremely easy to work with. Cut with my table saw and jigsaw and edges finished with the router. At the same time I replaced the ladder steps with starboard 3/4".

Attachments

• IMG_2287.jpg
    IMG_2287.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 91
I have an order in for a replacement teak swim platform for my 42' GB. Here is their address:
S&P Custom, Inc.
4037 7th Terrace South
St Petersburg, Fl. 33711

http://www.teakmarinewoodwork.com/

Can't rate it yet but they have been very thorough in obtaining measurements etc.

I made our platform with 1/2" Starboard stiffened with a yellow Cedar frame underneath. It is plenty stiff between the braces. The Cedar is now weathering and I plan to replace it with Ipe, which will be much more stout against wear and weather.

Had a Starboard swim platform like the OP shows on our boat when we bought it. It had no structural rigidity and sagged between the platform supports. The sags got worse over time.

Replaced it with one I built out of Plasteak and have been very happy with it. I did, on the company's advice, add three SS longitudinals sandwiched between planks as our supports were farther apart than recommended. The wetter the material gets, the more non-skid it is. Easy to keep clean. No sagging. They'll build one for you if you don't want to build it yourself.

https://www.plasteak.com/plasteak-recycled-plastic-products/swim-platforms

It has always been my understanding that Starboard is not intended for load bearing, but I suppose if it has enough support it would work.

Sorry, my instant reaction was, "Starboard?; how about port?"

A swim platform on one side or the other might well fit someone's needs.

To Comodave...it will be the "non-skid" SB. Weight ~ 100lbs & no issue for the boat.
To Fog...~ $800 plus shipping. I'm awaiting shipping quote from manufacture. Construction of custom stainless brackets will be the biggest cost.

Thanks for the info, but a bit pricey for me.
I was able to pick up a fiberglass swim step on CL today to replace the teak one on my Prairie 36.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom