Air conditioner frustration

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Donna

Guru
Vessel Name
Southerly
Vessel Make
1986 Marine Trader 36' Sundeck
Sigh.........The forward cruise air passport II control panel is rediculous. Does anyone have one of these? If so, where is the sensor located?

My read out is 132 on a good day. Can't leave the air on overnight since it thinks its over 100 degrees. It's more like 74 degrees.

I'm ready to throw up the white flag on this one after reading the manual and working on it for several hours yesterday with no result. It cools just fine, just doesn't know when to shut off!

I think it's on or in the panel with an option for a remote sensor. Call the company and ask?

They might tell you what to look for or they might suggest returning the control panel for repair or replacement.

Or, they might tell you to hire a technician in your area. You can't do much just poking around without technical information and a parts source.

If you have a remote thermostat in your cabin look on the bottom for a very small hole with a small sensor that looks like an led light. It is very tiny and that is the cabin temp. sensor. Not true for all makes but common.

Our Passport II sensors are in the panels, just under the bottom and slightly to the right of center.

U5 is the temperature sensor calibration parameter.

When you say it doesn't shut off, do you mean the cooling system itself? Or just the air handler (blower)? If the latter, U10 is the parameter for that. (Sounds like you already know all about the programming.)

-Chris

The cooling system doesn't shut off. I believe it is because it has a cabin reading of 132 degrees most times and that is impossible.

I tried to reset to factory default. I will try the U5.

I will try and locate the sensor again, but did not see one where you mention. I dd pull the panel and much to my dismay it is a sealed unit. :banghead:

Oh and tried calling the number on the online manual but it just disconnects. Would you by any chance have a viable number? the internet is falling short on my searches.

The sensor isn't particularly noticeable. IIRC, just a little slot in the underside of the panel fascia.

-Chris

Old manual, and ours is Marine Air, but the nearest distributor to you (for North FL) is listed as Beard Marine Savannah 800-286-2674.

Probably better off just using Google to find the nearest (to you) service bubbas and give them a call. Our local guys (Annapolis Cruisair) have been VERY helpful when I've had questions in the past. Search Dometic, Cruiseair, and Marine Air; all the same now.

-Chris

Did you try the this?

Automated Factory-Self Test Program
The Passport-II software contains a self-test program to facilitate factory testing of the entire air-conditioning system. Once the self-test mode is activated, the test cycle will continue until the AC power is interrupted or the power button is pressed once which returns the system to the off mode.
Activate the self-test by pressing and holding the power button while turning on the AC power. Be sure to continue to hold the button until the reset is completed. Passport-II is now in the self-test mode.
Once activated the self-test software will continuously execute the following procedure:
1 - Turn on in the heat mode and supply heating for ten (10) minutes.
2 - Stop heating and run the fan only for five (5) minutes.
3 - Switch to cooling and continue cooling for ten (10) minutes.
4 - Stop cooling and run the fan only for five (5) minutes.
5 - Return to step one (1) and continue until interrupted.
The test mode will continue until the power is interrupted or the test is halted by pressing the power button once.

Here is a link to the Passport II Operations Manual in case you don't have one handy.

And finally, you should be able to reach tech support here:

For Dometic's air conditioning systems including Cruisair and Marine Air Systems, and other Adler/Barbour, Grunert, Eskimo Ice and Sentry products:

Dometic Corporation
2000 N. Andrews Ave.
Pompano Beach, FL 33069
Phone: 954-973-2477
Fax: 954-979-4414Tech
Support 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM ET: 800-542-2477
Tech Support After Hours & Weekends: 888-440-4494
MarineSales@dometicusa.com

Mine got complicated. They changed the system so that many older control panels aren't compatible with newer control boxes. Get ready to study that @#$ penguin on the front because believe it or not that's how you tell what revision of parts you have. [:(]

Sigh.........The forward cruise air passport II control panel is rediculous. Does anyone have one of these? If so, where is the sensor located?

My read out is 132 on a good day. Can't leave the air on overnight since it thinks its over 100 degrees. It's more like 74 degrees.

I'm ready to throw up the white flag on this one after reading the manual and working on it for several hours yesterday with no result. It cools just fine, just doesn't know when to shut off!

The control unit either gets its temp reading from the touch panel or a air temp. sensor you plug into the control board located in the control box that you run to the return air grill/coils.

I prefer the unit gets it's temp. reading from the return air. If it gets its reading from the touch panel it could actually be seeing the temperature of the panel it's self. Not the air temperature.

In other words if the wall the touch panel is mounted on can get heated from the sun or and air space behind it and transfer the heat to the touch pad that is what the A/C unit will think is the air temperature in the room.

Same is true if the panel gets colder that the air temperature of the room.

If you have a contact for the previous owner he or she might be able to help with that, and other questions that come up you know, been there done that!
I called the PO of my boat several times usually he knew just what to do.
Good luck!

Donna, do you know where the control box for that unit is located? It's easy enought to turn the breaker off for that unit and then open the box up and see if there is a air temp. sensor wire plugged into the circuit board.

The socket that the sensor cable plugs into on the board is a phone cord type and is labled. As I recall they say "air temp.", "temp" or something like that on the circuit board next to the socket.

Based on what you posted it sounds to me like either the señor in the touch pad is bad or the remote air temperature sensor, if you have one, is bad.

Donna
We have a similar unit... here's a link to the manual

You should be able to calibrate the sensed temp to agree w/ what you measure or estimate the actual to be.

Pg 9 States "P-5: Temperature Calibration
Use this feature to calibrate the ambient sensor.
Select P-5 and the ambient temperature appears in the display.
Use the Up and Down Buttons to set the correct reading.
The temperature in the display will increase or decrease as
required. "

Is the compresor runinng continuously or just the fan?
In the programming mode you can set the fan speed range, whether the water pump stays on or turns off w/ the compressor, etc,etc

Last edited:
Thanks all. Looks like a few more ideas to try. Did I mention I hate the passport II? I love the controls in the aft cabin. Same cooling unit, different control pad.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom