Just got the Trawler... Now what do I need to buy???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The Owl and the Pussy-cat went to sea
In a beautiful pea-green boat,
They took some honey, and plenty of money,
Wrapped up in a five-pound note.

Good to emulate the Owl and the Pussy-cat. Honey is optional, but bring plenty of money.

You got some 'splainin to do.

Many moons ago when I was a green first year Apprentice, my Journeyman sent me to the tool room for a 3" Hickey (a type of hand conduit bender that doesn't exist in that large of size!) and a Bunyan . Tool rooms were always manned by the grouchiest old Electrician on the job. When I ask for the tools, ol' Vernon cussed me out for wasting his time and sent me back to my laughing crew.... At lunchtime, they were having great fun at my expense, and ol' Vernon asked my Journeyman what in the hell is a Bunyan. Journeyman told him that if I managed to come back with a 3" Hickey, we'd need a Paul Bunyan to handle it! :facepalm:

And yet no one mentions a Radar, GPS/chartplotter, Depth Sounder, Auto Pilot, AIS, VHF/DCS, paper charts, charting hardware, etc. etc.

Maybe some assumptions....

We assume that a basic electronics package was spec'd with the boat.

If you're not getting a sort of sinking feeling about now you're not normal... :D

Hi... Taking delivery of a new NT40 in January and wondered if you all would share some of your experience You know how when you take your kids off to college, what do you suggest I also plan for?
First of all a vasectomy, you won't be able to afford any more kids now.:rolleyes:

Secondly, band aids, you can never have too many band aids.

Lastly, a sense of humour helps- you will do something stupid at some time, and someone will notice, and worst of all they will ask you if you need some help.

That said, you may just have bought yourself a chance of having some really wonderful adventures. Don't forget to give her a good name, she's part of the family too.

Welcome aboard the good ship TF

You need one of everything, and a spare for each one. Keep that up until the money runs out.

This reminds me of the benefits of buying a well-stocked used boat....

Since I bought my boat, I've removed about as much stuff as I've added.

This reminds me of the benefits of buying a well-stocked used boat....

Since I bought my boat, I've removed about as much stuff as I've added.

Me as well. Although some stuff I haven't taken off the boat yet as I don't know what it is.

I did find another storage compartment the other day. It was filled with filters for a water maker that the PO removed years ago.

Boy did you ask for it. most of us have tons of stuff we learned to keep on board over the years.

IMO the what you carry depend on how confident you are fixing stuff.

Everyone should know how to change fuel filters and have stuff for that.

Other than that go use your new toy and along the way you will start to decide whats you want to change. Have tow insurance, bring a credit card, charts and just get going.

The suggestion to spend time on the boat and figure out what she needs is a good one. I'm new to my boat (and new to big boats in general). I've spend several days and nights on the boat just familiarizing myself and studying the systems.

Find a guy like Diesel Duck that wants to sell his boat, buy boat fully equipped, move all equipment aboard your new NT40, sell boat.

Find a guy like Diesel Duck that wants to sell his boat, buy boat fully equipped, move all equipment aboard your new NT40, sell boat.

By the time I'm ready to sell, at least 10 years of owning the boat, me thinks there won't be much left of significant value. Not to mention that by then I will have weeded out most of the unused and unneeded items. And let's not forget there won't be near enough room aboard an NT40 for all the things I can put aboard a DD492. Just Sayin' :thumb:

And yet no one mentions a Radar, GPS/chartplotter, Depth Sounder, Auto Pilot, AIS, VHF/DCS, paper charts, charting hardware, etc. etc.

Maybe some assumptions....

I did mention some of those things in post #12.

We don't all need all of those things. It depends on how, when and where we boat. Just the same as nearly all the things that have been suggested.

"Find a guy like Diesel Duck that wants to sell his boat, buy boat fully equipped, move all equipment aboard your new NT40, sell boat."

The point here is a dock/lake cottage and cruiser are outfitted very differently.

A boat advertised as a liveaboard may have little of use on board for cruising.

But the STYLE of boat you desire , the change over can take big bucks., years

You'll probably laugh at this one...

Don't know if your boat is big enough to have a vice in the engine room, but a small vice bolted to a 1.5' to 2' piece of 2x6 (so you can hold/brace it with your feet while squatting or sitting and have both hands free to work) can be real 'handy' when drilling or filing small things.

Toilet paper. All of the sockets and rode chain in the world doesn't matter if you run out.

Do I need... Some buckets? A good knife in order to cut lines? Binoculars? Someone told me vinegar is awesome to have in a spray bottle for cleaning just about anything, etc. etc. You get the point.

The white vinegar goes into small buckets in the bilge areas to control odors and kill mold spores.
50/50 Bleach/Water cleans up any dark splotches of dirt and mold in hatches and storage areas without any scrubbing. Just spray it on and wait a few minutes then rinse.
Good Stuff

You'll probably laugh at this one...

Don't know if your boat is big enough to have a vice in the engine room, but a small vice bolted to a 1.5' to 2' piece of 2x6 (so you can hold/brace it with your feet while squatting or sitting and have both hands free to work) can be real 'handy' when drilling or filing small things.

I'm not laughing ......

I have had a vice mounted to a 2x6 that fits into a Black & Decker Workmate for years and I don't have to hold it with my feet. :D

Also have a two wheel grinder & buffer and a cheap Harbor Freight drill press mounted on 2x6s. Everything breaks down and folds up for boat storage.

Do I need... Some buckets? A good knife in order to cut lines? Binoculars? Someone told me vinegar is awesome to have in a spray bottle for cleaning just about anything, etc. etc. You get the point.

The white vinegar goes into small buckets in the bilge areas to control odors and kill mold spores.
50/50 Bleach/Water cleans up any dark splotches of dirt and mold in hatches and storage areas without any scrubbing. Just spray it on and wait a few minutes then rinse.
Good Stuff

If you add vinegar to your wash down water it will remove the salt better.

One thing I found helpful was a small portable fan to use in working in the ER. Cant remember the brand but it had a Lithium Ion battery that would last for a couple hours on high. About $30 at HD.

Wifey B: Another thing one might not think of. Vacuum sealing. Small sealer for food and parts and small things. Then the big storage bags for blankets or sweaters or anything you don't need at the moment. They're reusable and great for protection and for reducing the space requirements. :)

Vacuum sealing. Small and Dry. That's the plan.

WOW... Thank you all for the responses! I took lots of notes and had a great time in Newport. In the end, I did indeed sign for NT40-05 and educated myself with both the Garmin and Raymarine electronics packages. (The last significant "option" I had to select). I won't dare ask you all which you prefer because even with as little experience as I have I sense that question is like asking "Donald or Hilary?". Anyway - Safe and Happy Cruising to you all. My wife and I are even more excited now as we transition from "armchair" to "actual". Hope to contribute regularly to TF as/when able.
TK

Someone told me vinegar is awesome to have in a spray bottle for cleaning just about anything, etc. etc. The white vinegar goes into small buckets in the bilge areas to control odors and kill mold spores. 50/50 Bleach/Water cleans up any dark splotches of dirt and mold in hatches and storage areas without any scrubbing. Just spray it on and wait a few minutes then rinse.

A long time ago I created my own industrial strength cleaner for the bilge. Mixed ammonia with bleach... boy was that exciting!

Back
Top Bottom