Prairie/Atlantic salon table?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cappy208

Guru
Vessel Name
Slip Aweigh
Vessel Make
Prairie 29
Does anyone have pics or specs of the lifting mechanism of the original spring(gas cartridge) salon tables? I saw my first one last weekend. Seems like an awesome way to have a coffee table/ dinner table.

Just can't find the innards. Any description?

Do you have a pic of the table? I've always wondered if mine was original with the boat.

Mine has a lever that allows it to lift or lower with some resistance. I suspect that's what you mean, but I've never had mine apart. Sorry.

Took a while to find a pic. I have to remember to bring camera when I go sauntering about!

Also, I have seen a version with four rough 'gothic' style baroque legs instead of the flat plate. This is a really heavy base, to make the table steady, and it pushes down (i assume to make the fold out double bed)..

BTW, does your Prairie have the fold out berth in the salon? Mine had the correct trim when I bought her. I just had to make the plywood to fold over with detachable legs to make the berth.

I am not completely sure this table isn't an 'Atlantic' accessory instead of a Prairie original.

Attachments

• prairie table.jpg
    prairie table.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:
Hmmmmm. Didn't know they came with a table. The PO of my Prairie 36 built the table in the pic below, it was nice, but too big.

Attachments

• 1117151423c.jpg
    1117151423c.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 71
Mine has a lever that allows it to lift or lower with some resistance. I suspect that's what you mean, but I've never had mine apart. Sorry.

CaptTom, how about you take one for the team, strap on a GoPro camera and take yours apart so we all can see what makes it tic. No doubt many will be educated and entertained at the same time.

Whatayasay?

CaptTom, how about you take one for the team, strap on a GoPro camera and take yours apart so we all can see what makes it tic. No doubt many will be educated and entertained at the same time.

Whatayasay?

LOL, best answer in this thread so far!

Not gonna do it, but nice try.

Anyway, thanks for the pics, mine is the same as Cappy's. The base IS heavy. We've found that, if we lower the table top down, it won't move, even in the roughest seas. And for those who own this hull, you know how forcefully she can roll!

My seating base is a PO custom job. Very basic, just two rectangular plywood bases with plywood on top. Had a very expensive upholstery shop make me four new cushions, hoping to make it more comfortable. Biggest waste of money ever. I may have to rip out the whole thing and start over with a new base. I hate finish work.

Also, the sole is just stick-on fake wood vinyl flooring and is crying out for a proper re-do. another project for "one of these days."

Do you have a pic of the table? I've always wondered if mine was original with the boat.

Our MS has a nice Hi / Lo table - looks like MS purchased mechanism and likely had someone else provide the Top & Base. Also ours has one side drop leaf and a slide mechanism (not shown) that allows you to raise the leaf and slide the top to keep it raised - haven't found that part link yet

Here is the mechanism pic info as well as a few shots of our saloon / salon w/ it in place

Attachments

• 1004311.JPG
    1004311.JPG
    22.2 KB · Views: 75
  • 1003217.JPG
    1003217.JPG
    34.8 KB · Views: 92
  • MS34HT11.jpg
    MS34HT11.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 95
  • Chair 2.jpg
    Chair 2.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 74
@Bacchus. That isn't the same table mechanism. But would work too. I didn't pry too much (but should have when I had the chance). It seems upon reflection that the mechanism that was on the table I saw was more akin to a hospital bedside table with the pull up, release to go down.

I'll have to investigate those type latches.

cappy208
I have my table home for the winter paint job. I might take it apart and do some lube. If I do I will take some pics. It isn't a pressure cylinder it is some sort of spring mechanism.

cappy208
I have my table home for the winter paint job. I might take it apart and do some lube. If I do I will take some pics. It isn't a pressure cylinder it is some sort of spring mechanism.

Hello Rich. Hope all is well in spring prep work. No need to disassemble. I just never thought to look under/ inside at the mechanicals. The folding table we have is not as elegant as yours.

I haven't gotten to redoing the aft cockpit canopy. Maybe this fall. Hope all is well. One project after another.

John.

Back
Top Bottom