Just got the Trawler... Now what do I need to buy???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tomkallman

Vessel Make
Nordic Tug (NT40)
Hi... Taking delivery of a new NT40 in January and wondered if you all would share some of your experience as to some either "must have" or "cool stuff I've you'll want to have" on board with you now that you own a boat. You know how when you take your kids off to college and have to buy bed sheets, a reading lamp, school supplies, a laundry hamper and all that fun stuff from Target? Well, now that I (am about to) own my first "sizeable" boat, what do you suggest I also plan for?
Do I need... Some buckets? A good knife in order to cut lines? Binoculars? Someone told me vinegar is awesome to have in a spray bottle for cleaning just about anything, etc. etc. You get the point.
What should I put in my big Tupperware bin that you've found useful to have on board?
Thanks in advance for ideas/comments.
TK

Hi... Taking delivery of a new NT40 in January and wondered if you all would share some of your experience as to some either "must have" or "cool stuff I've you'll want to have" on board with you now that you own a boat. You know how when you take your kids off to college and have to buy bed sheets, a reading lamp, school supplies, a laundry hamper and all that fun stuff from Target? Well, now that I (am about to) own my first "sizeable" boat, what do you suggest I also plan for?
Do I need... Some buckets? A good knife in order to cut lines? Binoculars? Someone told me vinegar is awesome to have in a spray bottle for cleaning just about anything, etc. etc. You get the point.
What should I put in my big Tupperware bin that you've found useful to have on board?
Thanks in advance for ideas/comments.
TK

Congratulations!
Wax and metal polish, have to keep it shiny! Note pad and several pens to write stuff down. Floor mats for the entry ways to protect those nice new floors. A bottle of something good to christen it with.

Ted

Spare parts, tools, tape, string, lubricants, penetrating oil, flashlights, bug spray, deck brush, bucket, boat hook, water hose&nozzle, safety gear, flag, and much more. Forget the tupperware container better rent a u-haul!
Lots of fun to outfit the boat, but it takes a while.

Long ago I figured out that the best thing to do is spend the night on the boat or take short overnight or two or three day trips and write down what you need and didn't have.

Not so cool but will be used eventually; oil sorbent sheets, tools, heat gun, SS nuts bolts and screws.

Hi...

TK

TK

Congrats on the new boat -

YES to above

Bookmark TF - lots of great info here

Another similar useful TF thread that should really be a Sticky

Another thread on Favorite Tools

One of the Admirals favorite products aboard is
Bee's Wax Polish - lots of uses cleaning / polishing but windows just sparkle w/ it.
I noticed the website recommends NOT using micro fiber w/ it but we find they work great as a final polish on windows.

Started using NoFlex for head treatment this season after recommendations here on TF (available from HopCar)... very pleased
- in combination w/ the Holding Tank Aeration all is well w/ our holding tank
- still trying to figure out how to enlarge / add vent but not easy w/ our Mainship

A handy tool to have aboard is a small wet/dry vac - amazing how many times I & others have used mine for many tasks - in fact that might be an interesting thread to see how others use theirs???

Attachments

• beeswaxplsh.jpg
    beeswaxplsh.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 875
  • NoFlex.jpg
    NoFlex.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 172
Last edited:
This is a list I started when I first ordered my boat (list is still a work in progress). Some things may not apply to you and your boat but it might give you some ideas:

Safety Equipment
First Alert CO/Smoke alarms
Fire extinguishers
Ditch bag
Safety harness and tethers
Throwable PFD's
MOB recovery system
Personal strobes
Inflatable life jacket/harnesses (Mustang)
Extensive First Aid Kit
Survival suits
Sea Anchor
Jordan Series Drogue
Tapered plugs for leaks

Anchoring & Docking
Anchor ball
Boat hook
Dock lines (4 dock lines @ 50' & 2 spring lines @ 75')
Fenders
Robship Hook & Moor boat hook

Engine Room
Dry-erase board for engine room
Pelton ear protectors
Custom fit ear plugs
Oil absorbing towels
Fuel spill kit
Small drill press
Vice

Galley
Nesting set of pots & pans
Corelle dishware
Kitchen utensils
Knives & knife block
Portable instant hot water maker (for tea etc)
Small applicances (waffle maker, blender, food processor, stand mixer, sausage stuffer, juicer, slow cooker, Foodsaver, etc)
Zojirushib Home Bakery Mini bread machine
Stackable plastic containers
Stovetop espresso maker
Foodsaver bags
Cook book(s)
Plastic drinkware
Tabletop electric burner (for when you run out of propane)

Cleaning (partial list)
3M pads (green, white, black, etc.)
Trac Ecological cleaning solutions and pump to flush system

Toys
GoPro cameras & underwater case
GoPro pole mount
GoPro 3D steadicam
DJI Phantom 4 quad copter

Misc.
Magma "Rock 'n Roll" boat stabilizer.
Honda generator EU2000 (this is a back up generator to your main gen)
Solar lights for exterior night lighting (Home garden type solar lights)
Small flashlights (extra batteries)
Bosuns chair
Prop speed antifouling clear coat
Mini cargo hammocks
5-gallon buckets (4-6)
Soft cooler(s)
Fishing poles and gear/lures
Zip-Loc Space bags
Vacuum
Sewing machine - Sailrite LSZ1 Premium Package with cruisers spare pkg.
Fabrics (for flags, etc.)
Water jerry jugs
Chamois
Micro fibre towels
Rain-X
All types of gloves (fishing, mechanic, cloth, etc)

Repair & Spare Parts
Alternator spare parts kit for both alternators
Watermaker spare parts kit
Extra watermaker filters
Main engine spare parts package
Head repair kit
Spare impellers
Abundant spare fuel filters, primary & secondary
Electrical repair kit including fuses, breakers & bulbs
Big tube of silicone dielectric gel lubricant
Domestic water pressure pump w/ appropriate electrical & water connections pre-tested
Portable inverter
Extra oil
Extra coolant
Boeshield T-9 spray (2-4 cans)
WD-40 lubricant (2-4 cans)
Sail repair tape
Sail repair kit
Bungee cords
Halyard lines
Winch grease
Impeller lubricant/grease

Tools
Lincoln 175 Plus MIG welder
Bolt cutters
Good quality multi meter (DVOM), example Fluke
Hand held IR temperature gun
Good metric & standard size tool kit
4" grinder(s)
Sawzall
Milwaukee electric drill
Drill bits
Electrical & duct tape
Cordless drill
Butane torch
Mini screwdriver set
Hex wrenches
Electrical extension cord(s)
Head lamps

Last edited:
TK,

Congratulations! Some great information has been offered.

I second those offerings in this order - safety items, spare parts, galley outfit. Getting those things sorted and learning how to store, maintain, and use your inventory is a big deal.

My must haves which we don't leave the dock without - iPad with back ups of navigational charts and publications (we are a paperless vessel), handheld VHF DSC radio with GPS, engine spares (propeller set, fuel filters, impeller, belts), comfortable inflatable PFDs that we always wear underway.

Take lots of time to get familiar with your new boat WITH the admiral. Go slow. Make sure she can do everything you can, including checking the oil, adjusting the radar, and maneuvering the boat. It will be the best time spent bonding between you two and the boat, and will pay dividends in reduced stress and increased confidence.

Best Wishes,

Jeff

Congratulations Tom. You will love that boat.

The list of stuff you will want will vary and it will grow with time. I strongly suggest that you don't look too hard at the lists above as they will completely overwhelm you. Wes gave great advice, when you get the boat spend a night aboard, then a few weekends. You will rapidly figure out stuff you will want. A memo book and some pens will be needed for the endless lists of things to buy, things to make, things to maintain, or things to fix.

One of the things to do is to take a close look at the list of things that the builder will supply with the boat. Find out how many dock lines and fenders will be supplied and then see if you will want to add some (likely). I assume there will be ground tackle included with the boat, think about marking the chain when you get the boat. Seemingly mundane things like a boat hook will be really handy as well.

You didn't mention how much, and what type of boating experience you bring with you. Just think of the stuff that you used on prior boats.

The boat will need all the required safety gear but I assume that those will come with the boat? I could be wrong as I have never bought a new boat. Get a list of the required gear and compare it to what will be provided. If you don't have them already, buy yourselves some self-inflating PFDs that are comfortable for you and your partner. Get in the habit of using them when getting under way, coming into a dock, transferring with a dinghy, or setting an anchor. I feel pretty strongly that this is a good habit to develop and I would suggest you have them in hand as you first take delivery.

You already have taken care of two of the most important things, a boat and a TF membership.

This is a list I started when I first ordered my boat (list is still a work in progress). Some things may not apply to you and your boat but it might give you some ideas:

Safety Equipment
First Alert CO/Smoke alarms
Fire extinguishers
Ditch bag
Safety harness and tethers
Throwable PFD's
MOB recovery system
Personal strobes
Inflatable life jacket/harnesses (Mustang)
Extensive First Aid Kit
Survival suits
Sea Anchor
Jordan Series Drogue
Tapered plugs for leaks

Anchoring & Docking
Anchor ball
Boat hook
Dock lines (4 dock lines @ 50' & 2 spring lines @ 75')
Fenders
Robship Hook & Moor boat hook

Engine Room
Dry-erase board for engine room
Pelton ear protectors
Custom fit ear plugs
Oil absorbing towels
Fuel spill kit
Small drill press
Vice

Galley
Nesting set of pots & pans
Corelle dishware
Kitchen utensils
Knives & knife block
Portable instant hot water maker (for tea etc)
Small applicances (waffle maker, blender, food processor, stand mixer, sausage stuffer, juicer, slow cooker, Foodsaver, etc)
Zojirushib Home Bakery Mini bread machine
Stackable plastic containers
Stovetop espresso maker
Foodsaver bags
Cook book(s)
Plastic drinkware
Tabletop electric burner (for when you run out of propane)

Cleaning (partial list)
3M pads (green, white, black, etc.)
Trac Ecological cleaning solutions and pump to flush system

Toys
GoPro cameras & underwater case
GoPro pole mount
GoPro 3D steadicam
DJI Phantom 4 quad copter

Misc.
Magma "Rock 'n Roll" boat stabilizer.
Honda generator EU2000 (this is a back up generator to your main gen)
Solar lights for exterior night lighting (Home garden type solar lights)
Small flashlights (extra batteries)
Bosuns chair
Prop speed antifouling clear coat
Mini cargo hammocks
5-gallon buckets (4-6)
Soft cooler(s)
Fishing poles and gear/lures
Zip-Loc Space bags
Vacuum
Sewing machine - Sailrite LSZ1 Premium Package with cruisers spare pkg.
Fabrics (for flags, etc.)
Water jerry jugs
Chamois
Micro fibre towels
Rain-X
All types of gloves (fishing, mechanic, cloth, etc)

Repair & Spare Parts
Alternator spare parts kit for both alternators
Watermaker spare parts kit
Extra watermaker filters
Main engine spare parts package
Head repair kit
Spare impellers
Abundant spare fuel filters, primary & secondary
Electrical repair kit including fuses, breakers & bulbs
Big tube of silicone dielectric gel lubricant
Domestic water pressure pump w/ appropriate electrical & water connections pre-tested
Portable inverter
Extra oil
Extra coolant
Boeshield T-9 spray (2-4 cans)
WD-40 lubricant (2-4 cans)
Sail repair tape
Sail repair kit
Bungee cords
Halyard lines
Winch grease
Impeller lubricant/grease

Tools
Lincoln 175 Plus MIG welder
Bolt cutters
Good quality multi meter (DVOM), example Fluke
Hand held IR temperature gun
Good metric & standard size tool kit
4" grinder(s)
Sawzall
Milwaukee electric drill
Drill bits
Electrical & duct tape
Cordless drill
Butane torch
Mini screwdriver set
Hex wrenches
Electrical extension cord(s)
Head lamps

Nice list. So I'm guessing you're boat 65ft? :)

It's probably important to understand that we use our boats differently and that we all have different skill sets. And also keep in mind that we have different sized boats.

Your needs will be very different if you keep your boat close to home and take relatively short trips compared to someone who lives on their boat and cruises full time. If you keep your boat close to home, you can bring tools from home for projects or repairs. Not so if the boat is your home and you are cruising.

The tools and spare parts you carry depend on your ability to actually use those tools and install those spare parts. I would like to think that anyone could replace an oil filter or belt, but in reality, some folks cannot. The alternative is a checkbook or credit card.

You cannot carry the same things on a 30' boat that you could carry on a 50' boat. All this stuff takes up room and adds weight and reduces fuel economy.

Obviously, you need the required safety equipment and obviously you need bedding and personal items. You need charts and/or electronic navigation equipment. The rest will come to you as you spend time on the boat.

Duct tape! That will fix anything! LOL!

I'd consider a west marine franchise. That will cover all of the above. ?
Honestly while we did do a first heavy shopping trip to west and target etc, we got things in the anticipation that we barely if ever used. buy as you need not just what you think you will need.

What electronics do you already have installed?

Congrats on the boat. You've already received many good ideas. Just want to also add a good first aid kit. This past weekend we went through almost a whole bottle of hydrogenperoxide assisting with several minor injuries (mostly dock related). Luckily, none of it was for us.

This past weekend we went through almost a whole bottle of hydrogenperoxide assisting with several minor injuries (mostly dock related). Luckily, none of it was for us.

Second H2O2 H-Peroxide...
Great for many things beside first aid
Removes wine & blood stains
Cleans toothbrushes
Tile / grout cleaner
Bubbling action helps clear drains

Greetings,
Congrat's. Find a place for 1/2 dozen or so, cedar shingles...Seriously. When you get a chance, ask me why...

Amazon Prime :D
Seriously, when our hard-to-find Tohatsu OB fuel connector broke off rendering the dinghy inop, I was able to order one and have it delivered to our next stop in <48 hrs.

Last edited:
A folding shopping cart , with large wheels will carry 4 bags of groceries .,or 2 propane bottles . or a couple of cases of beer.

The store is never close .

A boat is like an RV camper. You want to put lots in it. But in reality there isn't as much storage as a house. So you learn the art of selectivity, stowage, security.

Your limits will be based upon your needs.

If you intend to call SeaTow, then an extra large wine locker is all you need.

But if you want to fix it yourself the other long list is pretty good for a start. But you may have to tow a barge behind a 40'er to carry all that.

What did you carry on last boat?

If you have tow service in your waters, I'd get tow insurance. It's the best $150 I spend each year on the boat!

Along the lines of FF's suggestion, I carry a collapsible wagon (Costco $60) if I expect to haul food or other bulky items a significant distance. It stows flat in the lazarette.

imageService

Wifey B: There are a bazillion things but think space savers. Here is one I love, collapsible, foldable. laundry hampers. These are also light for carrying laundry and a great way of carrying clothes off and on the boat. Basically carrying anything. Perfect container that weighs 5 ounces. They come in other shapes and sizes but we use these at home and on the boat. :)

laundry basket.jpg

LOA - 53' (54' if you include anchor roller)
LWL - 50' 3"
BEAM - 15' 1"
BEAM WL - 15' 2"
DRAFT - 6'
Displacement at DWL - 88,908 lbs
D/L - 306

COEFFICIENTS
Prismatic 0.691
Block: 0.325
Midships: 0.470
Waterline 0.806

Holy crap.. You do everything in a big way. :)

And yet no one mentions a Radar, GPS/chartplotter, Depth Sounder, Auto Pilot, AIS, VHF/DCS, paper charts, charting hardware, etc. etc.

Maybe some assumptions....

Back
Top Bottom