Marine Tex or J-B Weld?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Willy
Vessel Make
Willard Nomad 30'
From a standpoint of adhesion and strength which one is better? Anchor repairs is what I've got in mind and I want the stuff to stick to the places where I've ground off the galvanize.

Marine-tex has filler that might make for a thicker coating , so last longer .

Eric, Marine-Tex will absorb water so keep that in mind when making your decision. On metals we always prefer JB Weld. Chuck

Capn Chuck wrote:
On metals we always prefer JB Weld.
* * * * Couldn't agree more!* JB Weld has solved a lot of problems for me over the years. You can mill it, drill and tap it,* etc;.... we used a lot of it in our tool & die shop.

Capn Chuck wrote:
Eric, Marine-Tex will absorb water so keep that in mind when making your decision. On metals we always prefer JB Weld. Chuck
This came from the Marine-Tex web site.

"Marine-Tex paste provides waterproof repairs that can be used with fiberglass tape or cloth to bridge holes and reinforce structural repairs as needed."

"Marine-Tex is an excellent choice for repairing problem areas located below the waterline."

*http://www.marinetex.com/marinetexepoxyputty.html#Anchor-Technical-49575

I had a pinhole leak in my exhaust elbow...riser...and put some JB Weld on it...after sanding, grinding, preping and calling or help. Did not hold. I did this twice before spending a grand on a new one. But, whatever, I tried.

Yea I know the stuff dos'nt like much heat. But I'm not going to be exposed to heat on the anchor. Sounds like they are both good products as everybody likes the one they use. Think I'll try the JB as it's availible everywhere. Thanks very much for all the input.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom