Show Us Your Fuel Valves

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
In my boat with a single engine, generator and P/S saddle tanks, I use this Groco fuel selector valve. It simultaneously switches both supply and return, and has Off-Left-Both-Right positions. The generator supply is Tee'd in downstream of the Racor, which although just a single, it is very accessible just by raising a hatch. It includes a vacuum telltale, a primer bulb and can be changed very quickly. I couldn't think of a way to make it any simpler, or use fewer clamps and fittings.:socool:

34-FV65038__50758.1340389021.500.750.jpg

Attachments

• 011a5993c7ee7c40cfabbfa478c832d6839b771b75.jpg
    011a5993c7ee7c40cfabbfa478c832d6839b771b75.jpg
    199.5 KB · Views: 43
  • 0110e933e26619743d0240323dc03e17874416ede3.jpg
    0110e933e26619743d0240323dc03e17874416ede3.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 47
Not as fancy as others shown here, but effective. Shut off valves from dual tanks into filter, dedicated feeds from filter to motor and generator with shutoffs, and a common return line with shutoffs to both tanks.

ForumRunner_20160913_142906.jpg

The Groco valve is about as good as it gets for switching tanks.

With dual filters we use 3 way valves with a gang bar .

It connects to the valves so in the left position the left filter is operated , in the right , the right filter.

Sorry no photo.

KISS

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1473869080.651842.jpgImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1473869107.400570.jpg

I have four tanks, two engines, and a generator. The system also has ports for a transfer pump, but I don't have one installed.

Interesting question regarding drawing fuel from 2 tanks at the same time. When done, is the consumption balanced or does one tank provide more fuel than the other? This may very well be a "try it and see" as I suspect equal v unequal runs from tank to manifold as well as other factors influence this situation. Then again maybe there is a simple answer or calculation. It would be nice to draw from each of two tanks simultaneously and not have to be concerned with always "leveling" the boat. Just a thought.

Interesting question regarding drawing fuel from 2 tanks at the same time. When done, is the consumption balanced or does one tank provide more fuel than the other? This may very well be a "try it and see" as I suspect equal v unequal runs from tank to manifold as well as other factors influence this situation. Then again maybe there is a simple answer or calculation. It would be nice to draw from each of two tanks simultaneously and not have to be concerned with always "leveling" the boat. Just a thought.

The challenge is as much on the return as the draw in a diesel installation. When I've tried this I've ended up with unbalanced tanks, and I'm pretty sure it's because the return has an easier path to one tank over the other.

My engines return to a shared tube from which the three tanks feed. I currently have the port and starboard valves fully open to accept the returned fuel, and the forward tank closed. However the port tank continuously gets more of the return.

In fact next time out I am going to start slightly closing the port return valve to the point where they balance. I just need to remember to read the tanks to see if it working before I start the genset as that draws from the starboard.

With a single engine and two tanks, I have so far been drawing from only one tank at a time. Drawing from both would make balancing tanks much less frequent, even if they don't draw down exactly the same. What are the pros and cons of doing this?

Here's my simple system for one main engine, two generators, two tanks and three racors.

There is a tank balance line which is only closed during refuelling.

The fuel drain cock is switchable between tanks.

The sight glass has a springloaded cock.

Each tank has an additional remotely operated shutoff cock.

The three racors are independantly switcheable across Gardner and Seawasp generator.

Attachments

• DSC04501.jpg
    DSC04501.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 125
  • DSC04496.jpg
    DSC04496.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 136
  • DSC04500.jpg
    DSC04500.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 123
Last edited:
2 engines + genset, 2 tanks, 2 Racors, 1 cross connection. Valves on each feed and on the crossover. Return lines only to the side the engine is on.
Genset runs and returns only on the Stb and has its own racor.
Diesel stove daytank only on the Pt.
The only complexity is the daytank for the diesel stove, it fills from the Pt engine return, which bypasses when full, and also from a little Walbro that pumps about 1l/hr when needed.
No manifold, so no pictures.

With a single engine and two tanks, I have so far been drawing from only one tank at a time. Drawing from both would make balancing tanks much less frequent, even if they don't draw down exactly the same. What are the pros and cons of doing this?

I try to use the oldest fuel first. So I transfer the remaining fuel into the tank I normally use, and only put new fuel in the empty tank. If you go through several loads of fuel per year it makes no difference. I'm OCD, so everything logical makes some difference. :rolleyes:

Ted

All these fuel filtering and management systems are impressive.

But someday another fellow will be trying to make sense of your old boat.

In the Navy its called a PDL, Pass Down Log where you have a system schematic , and operating instructions .

A full set will help sell your pride and joy much faster.

Back
Top Bottom