View Single Post
Old 09-14-2016, 12:44 PM   #15
mgrennie
Veteran Member

City: East Hampton, CT
Vessel Name: Gossip
Vessel Model: Chien Hwa 35
My wife and I are in a similar situation, we're even the same age. We have 2 dogs instead of kids, though.

I have a 27' sailboat we race pretty seriously with friends, but it is too much of a pain to cruise. We did buy a 25' travel trailer to try and vacation with the dogs, but we miss the water when traveling.

Our solution has been to look for a trawler, as well, and we have similar aspirations for East Coast cruising. But we cannot give up the race boat for now. I am going to look at a candidate tomorrow, and I appreciate your information on towing.

What lead us on the 2 boat approach was a friend with a Nordic Tug and a sailboat. That way you are not compromising either. He doesn't race much anymore, but his boat is waiting to race when he comes back from his second Loop. We never liked motor boats until we spent 8 days in the Bahamas on his boat, and never once felt cramped with 2 couples. Our sailboat gets cramped with the two of us in one weekend, much worse with dogs.

I plot costs in 3 day weekends of petsitters. You can buy a lot of vacation toys to bring the dogs at $180 per weekend.
mgrennie is offline   Reply With Quote