Crew Lists

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

muttskie

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Little Fish
Vessel Make
Kadey Krogen 39
Ahoy,

Just wondering. Is there no crew list section on this forum because most of the participating boat owners seldom need to find crew members, either short term, or longer?

On Cruisers Forum, and others, there always is a crew list section that offers a venue for skippers and potential crew members to connect.

What do the short handed skippers do to get temporary crew?

The difference is that it is often easier to use a power boat shorthanded than it is a sailboat. Although it is always entertaining to see the skippers on CF looking for crew. It often goes something like...

"Active sailor looking for female crew member for extended cruising. Must have an adventurous spirit, open mind, and experience cooking. No sailing experience required."

Most here do not use crew. I would say too that the majority of crew listings I see on some of the other sites are people wanting free or nearly free crew. More like ride along and help me for that privilege. The time people here generally might need crew is a delivery or seasonal relocation of the boat. Also a few do as training captains and they get recommendations if they so request.

It might be helpful to some. Personally not the place I'd choose to look for professional crew and we like a couple of others here do use crew. Those of us who use crew are such a small group, I don't see listings being productive.

This is an owner oriented forum and the vast majority of owners here do not ever use crew.

"Active sailor looking for female crew member for extended cruising. Must have an adventurous spirit, open mind, and experience cooking. No sailing experience required."

A lot of that and a lot of people who fall for the adventure of sailing, both men and women, and find out when they're across the ocean how despicable the owner is.

A question of the OP. Are you looking for crew or looking for a crew position?

Most of the time they do just what you are doing.

Just start a thread with some basic info...then take PMs from there to get going.

Been about the same for delivery captains.

If looking to crew...you have just done it...stay active an people will know your interest.

A question of the OP. Are you looking for crew or looking for a crew position?

I am in the process of buying my first trawler (Krogen 39) after coming from mostly single-handing sailboats. I am imagining trying to dock solo. I'm sure eventually I'll be able to do so without too much trouble. In the interim, I don't want to scratch such a beautiful boat.

When and where will you need crew? How long will you need them, just for the delivery?

I am in the process of buying my first trawler (Krogen 39) after coming from mostly single-handing sailboats. I am imagining trying to dock solo. I'm sure eventually I'll be able to do so without too much trouble. In the interim, I don't want to scratch such a beautiful boat.

Lots of fenders ;-)

That's a very common need and I'm sure with a little more information someone will be able to advise you. I don't know many west coast crew persons. Very smart to get what we can a training captain. Have you boated before, as you say first trawler, but not boat?

A training captain not only teaches you but gives you confidence if you can find the right on.

That's a very common need and I'm sure with a little more information someone will be able to advise you. I don't know many west coast crew persons. Very smart to get what we can a training captain. Have you boated before, as you say first trawler, but not boat?

A training captain not only teaches you but gives you confidence if you can find the right on.

I have owned a few sailboats. My current one is a Pacific Seacraft Crealock 37, which I single-hand in the San Francisco Bay. I am comfortable handling her in all conditions normally encountered there, including docking.

Perhaps a training skipper, as you, and others, have described would be just the ticket. I'll inquire about that when the dust settles on the sale. The boat will be in British Columbia initially.

I have owned a few sailboats. My current one is a Pacific Seacraft Crealock 37, which I single-hand in the San Francisco Bay. I am comfortable handling her in all conditions normally encountered there, including docking.

Perhaps a training skipper, as you, and others, have described would be just the ticket. I'll inquire about that when the dust settles on the sale. The boat will be in British Columbia initially.

Going from sail to power will be an easy changeover for you. You really only need assistance to learn the nuances and learn about equipment that you're not use to, the set up of the power boat. Then when you decide to run it down to SF, you'll probably want some crew although some single hand that trip. If you can dock the PSC, then docking the Krogen will be easy. It will respond differently but the weight eases the task although the large rudder of a sailboat is something you'll miss.

With your experience you will do really well and won't take you long.

Clever advice.
It's is a great way to develop new skills, an awareness of the boat, and to build confidence which is equally important, if not to say essential.

Piece of cake. Training captain. Practice. Post-event analysis. Easy.

Practice really means practice, too. Dock yourself 5 times each time you return (enter the slip and leave, enter the slip and leave, repeat), for about the first couple months.

But also remember, rub rails are named that on purpose. Doesn't mean crash/bang rails, but gentle approaches are warping around piles is generally allowed.

:)

-Chris

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom