Boat Shows

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FootballFan

Vessel Name
Mersea
Vessel Make
Marquis 59
How many people are attending a boat show as the summer winds down?

We are headed to Fort Lauderdale for the show at the beginning of November.

Primary focus is climbing on boats learning more about what we do and don't like. Also I always love time in electronics.

Admiral is all about the boat looking part, but didn't like the idea of the exhibit hall. Then I reminded her that's where the Dinghy's are at (we sold our previous dinghy with the boat). So she has signed up for the exhibit hall, well at least part of the day.

Other than looking at boats, What are the key things we need to be looking at from vendors in the exhibits area?

Mark

As a trawler guy now...I found going to boat shows generally unrewarding except for accessories and keeping up with engines and electronics.

For boats...I cruised marinas and docks to look at boats I was interested in.... as so few were at shows.

We are heading for the Auckland (NZ) On Water Boat Show where we hope to source all new electronics and a Torqeedo electric outboard and tender. Our new-to-us Nimbus 380 Commander is about to leave UK for NZ. It has spent its life on a fresh water lake system and has none of the usual coast hopping navigational requirements.

Just got a room at the courtyard Marriott on sea breeze for the Fort Lauderdale Nov 3rd show. Last show I attended was in Annapolis in 1981 where I actually fell in love with a new 42' Grand Banks. It only took me 29 years to be able to afford to by that boat or at least its sister ship. Yup, I'm excited.

We are staying at the Hilton on the west side of the ICW, booked it weeks ago.

Direct access to the water taxi.

Mark

I'm packing for IBEX right now, Marine Trades in Tampa, then Ft Lauderdale, Workboat in New Orleans, maybe Hybrid Show back in Ft Lauderdale and end with Miami in Feb.

We are heading for the Auckland (NZ) On Water Boat Show where we hope to source all new electronics and a Torqeedo electric outboard and tender. Our new-to-us Nimbus 380 Commander is about to leave UK for NZ. It has spent its life on a fresh water lake system and has none of the usual coast hopping navigational requirements.

Sounds like an exciting move there Grae. I gather the price over there in the UK made shipping it out worthwhile..? Where will you moor it, but the way. Morrinsville is not on the coast from memory.

Watched a replay of the Argies v's All Blacks game this am. The Pumas gave the Blacks a run for their money for the first 50 minutes, didn't they..? Looked like an upset was on the cards there for a bit. The final score line hardly reflected the actual game really.
Watching a replay of the Bokkies v's Wallabies right now. Only 2 points in it so far.

Cheers,

Wilmington, NC is having a boat show this weekend. The show is at a new marina that opened up last year and the convention center near downtown on the Cape Fear River.
I'm planning to go tomorrow and look at the in-the-water boats and see if there any "show specials".

I sure like the St. Pete, FL boat show in November. Wont compete with the Ft. Lauderdale show, but right down the street from me, and is very user friendly, with easy parking, no ridiculous fees or food/drink costs, and a good assortment for the "smaller" boat crowd up to 50 footers.

I'll do it every years... just a great show.

Yesterday at Cannes Intl Boat Show. Cannes, FR

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 157
Sounds like an exciting move there Grae. I gather the price over there in the UK made shipping it out worthwhile..? Where will you moor it, but the way. Morrinsville is not on the coast from memory.

Watched a replay of the Argies v's All Blacks game this am. The Pumas gave the Blacks a run for their money for the first 50 minutes, didn't they..? Looked like an upset was on the cards there for a bit. The final score line hardly reflected the actual game really.
Watching a replay of the Bokkies v's Wallabies right now. Only 2 points in it so far.

Cheers,

Hullo Peter,
We don't really have the range of boats available here, where game fishing styles dominate in the size range (11 - 12 Metres), that we were looking for.
Although we are fisher folk our main objective is exploring our coast and spending considerable periods aboard so although we need a good cockpit for fishing we need a good accommodation to length ratio. Many of the European and North American boats with great accommodation do not have a fishing cockpit. The Nimbus brand is very well built to Det Norske Veritas standard and we like the multiple space configuration.
We will be travelling mainly at the trawler-like hull speed of 6-7 knots but like the ability to "get home quick".
We will keep it at Gulf Harbour Marina as it is central to the best cruising grounds of Tauranga to Bay of Islands.
Morrinsville, as a prosperous small (Pop. 8000) farming community will be nice contrast to our future "other" life at sea. There are no other Morrinsvilles!
Importing, given shipping cost and taxes, is only just worth it financially!

Congrats to the Wallabies.
The All Blacks play an 80 minute game and have a great bench.

It looks like a lot of Money lined up at the Cannes show!

I hope to go to it one year, by water though. As to other shows, while there will be many boats that have no relationship to what you want, FLIBS is still THE SHOW.

You're not likely to buy a boat at a show, that's not the purpose. The purpose is just to gain some exposure to boats and equipment, perhaps walk a few boats to better know your likes and dislikes. To get an idea of trawler type boats being used where you are, nothing beats the marinas.

Now as a first show goer, start with the biggest, FLIBS, and plan days of time. Give yourself time to see it all but in limited amounts each day, getting out and enjoying Fort Lauderdale the rest of the time. If I was going to the trouble of flying in for the show, I'd allow at least three days and taking advantage of your time in FLL to enjoy yourself, I'd go for more.

There will also be some brokers who specialize in Trawlers at the show and what a great time to "interview" one as a future or potential buyer's broker.

I think of the stage you're in as an immersion stage. Just see and feel as much as possible. One thing that will happen if you use the show as a real tool to learn, you and your wife will comment to each other. You'll come off one boat and one of you will be saying you hated it and the other loved it. Then you can compare why the disparity. It's likely to give you one thing that is a definite no for your boat. We've been known to rate boats like some do women. I say, 9 and she says 6 and then I ask why she put it so low. Maybe she observed something I didn't.

BandB,

Great point about boat shows... a learning experience. Thx.

I hope to go to it one year, by water though. As to other shows, while there will be many boats that have no relationship to what you want, FLIBS is still THE SHOW.

You're not likely to buy a boat at a show, that's not the purpose. The purpose is just to gain some exposure to boats and equipment, perhaps walk a few boats to better know your likes and dislikes. To get an idea of trawler type boats being used where you are, nothing beats the marinas.

Now as a first show goer, start with the biggest, FLIBS, and plan days of time. Give yourself time to see it all but in limited amounts each day, getting out and enjoying Fort Lauderdale the rest of the time. If I was going to the trouble of flying in for the show, I'd allow at least three days and taking advantage of your time in FLL to enjoy yourself, I'd go for more.

There will also be some brokers who specialize in Trawlers at the show and what a great time to "interview" one as a future or potential buyer's broker.

I think of the stage you're in as an immersion stage. Just see and feel as much as possible. One thing that will happen if you use the show as a real tool to learn, you and your wife will comment to each other. You'll come off one boat and one of you will be saying you hated it and the other loved it. Then you can compare why the disparity. It's likely to give you one thing that is a definite no for your boat. We've been known to rate boats like some do women. I say, 9 and she says 6 and then I ask why she put it so low. Maybe she observed something I didn't.

Good comments. We had our epiphany moment a couple of years ago at the Miami show. We had always approached boats first from the outside in. Meaning, how the boat looked on the water, how it looked tied up at the dock.

Walking the docks a couple of years ago we passed a Grand Banks display, just for grins climbed on see what they were. After an hour or two on the boat - we both commented that our next boat we were going to look inside out.

Over the last year or two we have spent a lot of time validating that initial impression. It moved us off of the Sport Yacht category to more of the Trawler/Expedition style (not sure if my labeling is correct).

Of the two Florida shows we actually prefer the Miami show - not sure why. Last year we thought we were going to FLIB for a couple of days. After the first day we went back to our boat that night and decided we would rather be in Marathon... but then at that point we had a boat and were not engaged in buying another. Good solid 3-4 days there this year.

Mark

Cannes International Boat Show.

IMO the winner is........(drum roll).........:speed boat:

Fleming 78 (81' 6") :thumb:

Pilou

Attachments

• IMG_6283.jpg
    IMG_6283.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 84
  • FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 143
  • IMG_6271.jpg
    IMG_6271.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_6251.jpg
    IMG_6251.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_6264.jpg
    IMG_6264.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_6259.jpg
    IMG_6259.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_6275.jpg
    IMG_6275.jpg
    197.1 KB · Views: 138
  • IMG_6281.jpg
    IMG_6281.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 80
FLIBS is tall cotton, for sure. Depends on what you're looking for. I was ltrying to meet a couple of the Viking guys who have been so gracious in assisting me with my '76 (year, not OAL) - knew they'd be with a new 48' they were unveiling at FLIBs. I was having trouble figuring out which of the 5 or 6 marinas they were in.

I tagged an "Event Security" guy for guidance - he didn't know, so he radiod his supervisor for help - the Sup's response: "They're over on Pier F where the little boats are." That kind of said it all.

Fun time. Need more days than the event lasts to see it all. Very well organized, good bus service between locations. Because we hadn't planned on going - just happened to be in the area with a couple of unexpected days on our hands - Ft L solidly booked the day before FLIBS opened - wound up in Hollywood Beach on the stretch that looks like it's straight out of a Travis McGee novel. Great fun!

Added bonus - got to meet TF's Parks at his booth and discuss new anchors. Well, actually, his booth just happened to be imediately adjacent to the "Scantily Clad Young Women Demonstrating Acrobatics on Paddle Boards" exhibit. I don't remember a lot of details about the new ........ He claimed the booth assignment was pure happenstance.

Before yesterday at Monaco Yacht Show.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender_1.jpg
    FullSizeRender_1.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_6814.JPG
    IMG_6814.JPG
    115.9 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_6820.JPG
    IMG_6820.JPG
    140.9 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_6832.JPG
    IMG_6832.JPG
    136 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_6833.JPG
    IMG_6833.JPG
    167.9 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_6837.JPG
    IMG_6837.JPG
    163 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_6841.JPG
    IMG_6841.JPG
    150 KB · Views: 62
  • Img_6857.jpg
    Img_6857.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_6889.JPG
    IMG_6889.JPG
    86.8 KB · Views: 63
That's a lot more boat than I will ever be able to afford.

Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom