View Single Post
Old 09-12-2016, 08:49 AM   #45
Toolbuddie

City: Huntsville, AL
Vessel Name: Sea Note
Vessel Model: Mainship 40
Greetings, and Welcome back.
WHEW! I finally got everything together to complete the repairs to the broken handrail on the SeaNote. First I had to get access to the screws holding one of the rail stanchion bases through the headliner in the stateroom. Luckily for me it happened to be in the locker so hiding the damage will not be an issue. And this is why I chose to just repair with the rail in place instead of removing the entire rail for repairs that would be undetectable from above. All of the other stanchions are under the headliner in the master stateroom. I understand that having stanchions look dissimilar is not the ideal way to make the repair but the other options were going to be either much more difficult/impossible for me to do-or inconvenient. i.e. take a day off from work to wait for a welder to cometo the boat and weld in place the original base plate. This would still look a little different from what the original looks like. SO here is what I did.
First remove the original hardware. Easy breezy, sort of. When the boat was built the screws were broken off after the nuts were tightened. Maybe to prevent them from working loose, maybe just for conveinence. Whatever the reason breaking them off that just made normal removal impossible for me. SO I broke out the handy drill and drilled the heads off from above and drove them out.

Next clean up the white goop that was used to bed stanchions originally, mount new base.

Of course the hole pattern on the new stanchions is not the same as the originals. Why would they be. So new holes were laid out drilled and chamfered with countersink bit. I filled the old holes with Epoxy. I was surprised to note the thickness of the gel coat.

Prior to laying the Butyl tape I cleaned the surface with Alcohol. I forgot the Acetone. Then I laid the tape over the mount area. Installed the base over the tape. Prior to installing the 1/4-20 stainless machine screws I wrapped the screw head and threads down about 3/4 of an inch with the butyl tape.

The installation, as I understand from others, will take several gentle tightening’s to allow the tape to squeeze out wherever it wants to. So that is what I plan to do.

Lastly for today clean up the excess tape have a beverage. I Had to share the beverages with my dock mates Larry and MO. Cheers Mates,thanks for watching. I mean HELPING. Could not have done it without you.

Thanks to the forum members that shared input and points to ponder. Thanks to the vendors that had products available and getting them to me promptly. I am pleased with the quality of the products used and service from the vendors. If you need similar products PM me and I will be glad to share that information privately.
Dave
Attached Thumbnails
stateroom locker.jpg   locker cutout.jpg   base drill out.jpg   new holes.jpg   tape in place.jpg  

tape screw.jpg   cleaned up.jpg  
Toolbuddie is offline   Reply With Quote