cruise ship mishap

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wow. Just wow.

The article estimates $250,000 damage. I suspect that's going to be updated.

I didn't know Capt. Schettino was back to work ;)

Yeah, I think that estimate of damage is way too low.

I wouldn't think $250,000 would cover the cement floats,
let alone include the boats.

Ted

Well, over $250k. On top of the physical damage, you're also talking very sizable business interruption costs.

While not thinking this loss will be that big but I once was called regarding a distribution center fire and it was estimated as $250k damage by the fire department. Actual damages were a little over $5 million. 45 days of business lost.

Tom, me thinks you need to get back to cruising! You have way too much time at the dock to find this stuff!

Tom, me thinks you need to get back to cruising! You have way too much time at the dock to find this stuff!

I am experiencing cruising withdraws my friend. You soon will experience the same.:eek:

Got up close and personal with the 3 ships that exit Seattle every Sunday afternoon. The wakes were kinda fun.

Attachments

• 20160828_170705.jpg
    20160828_170705.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 109
Got up close and personal with the 3 ships that exit Seattle every Sunday afternoon. The wakes were kinda fun.

Wakes, ok. Wash, not. That's one thing they really warn you to be aware of in large commercially used locks and especially in the Panama Canal.

Wakes, ok. Wash, not. That's one thing they really warn you to be aware of in large commercially used locks and especially in the Panama Canal.

You are correct.
We have the same issue when getting to close to freighters on the Detroit and St. Clair Rivers.

So, was that prop wash or turbulence from thrusters? I've never seen anything like it-scary!

rc...Quite a few of the newer cruise ships have azipods for propulsion that can pivot through 180 degrees. But then again it may have been thrusters. It takes a lot of horsepower to move those ships sideways or to just hold them up against any kind of wind and current, especially at slow speeds

I guessed that was the ship`s view of what we saw previously. It was hard to tell, Facebook kept reducing the image to the size of a cat`s bottom when I didn`t seize their offer to join up.

Was no physical contact, but I am sure "a vessel is responsible for it's wake" will come into play during the court case. Wash and suction being part of wake and all.

Facebook kept reducing the image to the size of a cat`s bottom when I didn`t seize their offer to join up.

I thought I was the only one left who hadn't seized that offer ;)

Was no physical contact, but I am sure "a vessel is responsible for it's wake" will come into play during the court case.

There is no such law, at least in the US. However, the boat's owner and operator ARE responsible for the result of any negligent operation. This could include it's wake and wash, and certainly applies here. It'll be very hard to convince any court that the marina did something wrong.

Pretty sure CFRs cover wake on vessels over 1600 ton.

CFR 164.11(p)(6)

Carnival Vista 133,596 gross ton

Last edited:
I thought I was the only one left who hadn't seized that offer ;)

There is no such law, at least in the US. However, the boat's owner and operator ARE responsible for the result of any negligent operation. This could include it's wake and wash, and certainly applies here. It'll be very hard to convince any court that the marina did something wrong.

I do believe there are numerous case laws to argue differently.

http://www.discoverboating.com/resources/article.aspx?id=476

Although I don't know where this took place I am sure carnival will be paying. In full under threat of being sued.

Last edited:
I do believe there are numerous case laws to argue differently.

That article you linked actually says it best:

The Law: Once again, there’s that catchall rule of reckless or careless operation that puts you behind the legal eight ball. According to Maritime Law and Practice, federal law considers it "grossly negligent operation" when there is actual endangerment of life, limb, or property. The Florida statute, however, says you could be found guilty of reckless operation if your conduct is "likely to endanger" life, limb, or property. This includes making waves. So you could be in trouble.

The law is not specific to your wake. There are many laws which hold you responsible for negligence, or as the article puts it "reckless or careless operation." You can (and should) be prosecuted under those laws if your wake endangers any people or property.

My point is, you are responsible for any damage caused by your negligence, no matter what the source. Thrusters included.

Capt Tom...there is a specific US federal law for that cruise ship....and any vessel over 1600T in US waters. No clue what Italy has...:D

Not for us little guys though on the fed level...but most states have specific wake damage rules.

If you come up the ICW going north from Government cut (Miami FL area), you cross over the turning basin for cruise ships. Got caught there earlier this year. Ducked inside at Government cut due to sea conditions - thought we would just motor quietly up to our marina 10 miles north.

Got there about the time a cruise ship was coming in the turning basin, had to wait. There is some significant turbulence coming out a long ways from the boat. Even with Dade County Police trying to hold traffic, people were still jumping around a patrol boat and making a run by the cruise ship in a 20ft boat.

Mark

Nope, Capt Tom - there's actually three of us left on the planet.

Back
Top Bottom