View Single Post
Old 09-11-2016, 09:10 PM   #7
TG

City: Oceanside, CA
Vessel Name: Tera Grace
Vessel Model: Californian 42 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by db2 View Post
Thanks for the help. The collective knowledge here is fantastic. I checked my high pressure pumps and they are both stamped 2750. Do these turbo Perkins really spin that fast? If so, no wonder my boat will only do 8kts. The PO may have over propped the boat. It was a Seattle boat named Porgy and owned by a gentleman named Yapel. It made many trips from Seattle to Cabo. If it will only spin 1900 rpm with the 24 x 19s it is very over propped.
I could not find a tag on the transmissions, so I may be mistaken about the 1:1 ratio, I have one too many boats.
TG says that the build called for 4 Blade 23 x 21 x 1 3/8 props. This would be 1" less diameter, but 2" more pitch. TG, does your Californian have T6.354 Perkins engines and how many rpm do they rev at what boat speed? I hear that the 42LRC can do 12 kts.
Thanks for the help boys, I really want to get my prop choice right the first time as you may guess. I will consult with local prop shops tomorrow, but there is no substitute for real data.

Dan
My 79' 42 came with the 3208's but the Build Kit lists the prop sizes for the Perkins and the Cats. See Attached. The first line is the prop size for the Cat 3208's and Near the bottom it lists the prop size for the 185hp Perkins.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 42LRC-Kit.pdf (637.1 KB, 51 views)
TG is offline   Reply With Quote