Who has a black or dark hull?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shipshape

Vessel Name
Eliza 1
Vessel Make
Halvorsen 42 Pilothouse
Hello ... you probably say .. here is Erik again .... yep I haven't made up my mind yet ... the clipper is almost ready for painting .... Is anyone there with a dark hull and white cabin, we would love to have a look at pictures .... to see if we like it ....

Thanks !!!

Ours is a fairly dark green

Dark Blue

Attachments

• img_2114.jpg
    img_2114.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 115
  • img_2107.jpg
    img_2107.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 113
  • img_2821.jpg
    img_2821.jpg
    166 KB · Views: 92
Moonstruck------black

Moonstruck wrote:Moonstruck------black
DON:* Where's that great photo of your hull?

SeaHorse II wrote:

Moonstruck wrote:Moonstruck------black
DON:* Where's that great photo of your hull?Walt, do you mean this one?

Attachments

• 100_0205.jpg
    100_0205.jpg
    239.5 KB · Views: 94
Yeah, that's the one! Do you use wax or is that Awlgrip?

SeaHorse II wrote:

Yeah, that's the one! Do you use wax or is that Awlgrip?
That is gelcoat with 3M marine polish----about a 3 step process.* The picture was in the yard at Maximo Marina in St. Petersburg, FL.* The crew did a great job of bottom painting and polishing the hull.

I have been talking with Gary Alderman at Snead Island Boatworks near Bradenton about an Awlgrip paint job.* It looks like now we may*do it on the Chesapeake.* Not an emergency thing,* Just trying to stay ahead of it.

I'm trying to decide it Awlgrip or Awlcraft would be better.* Awlgrip is harder, but Awlcraft touches up beautifully.

Here's mine. Dark blue Awlgrip. I just bought it a month ago. It is the first and only Californian I saw with a dark hull. IMO the dark hull makes the boat classy and unique. But to each, their own. I haven't had the water spot experience, although it looks good now. And I doubt it has had a great deal of recent exterior cleaning prior to me buying it it January in Nashville. It isn't in salt either, so that may make a big difference.

Attachments

• aft view.jpg
    aft view.jpg
    217.6 KB · Views: 105
  • stbd side lg.jpg
    stbd side lg.jpg
    214 KB · Views: 121
  • fore lg.jpg
    fore lg.jpg
    195.1 KB · Views: 114
Hi Seahorse,I like it .... What have you done with the swimplatform? Is it oiled? *You railings are I guess just varnished with clear? *all stands out very well, the timber and white cabin with the dark hull ... the admiral of the fleet will like it !

-- Edited by shipshape on Monday 14th of February 2011 04:54:51 AM

Craig,Thanks for the picture ... great looking boat ... looks good, the dark hull with the timber ....

Dark Green with light beige topsides.

-- Edited by JD on Monday 14th of February 2011 07:35:39 AM

Attachments

• starboard side walkway after buffing.jpg
    starboard side walkway after buffing.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 108
  • leaving southport.jpg
    leaving southport.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 98
shipshape wrote:.... What have you done with the swimplatform? Is it oiled? *You railings are I guess just varnished with clear? *
The swim platform is oiled with Starbrite Oil & Sealer (Nothing else, Semco, etc.
stands up. The rest of the varnish is Epifane clear. To keep it looking good we
kiss sand it and apply 1-2 coats every 6-8 months.

Attachments

• swim.jpg
    swim.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 106
We are dark blue with off-white superstructure and green bottom paint.* I think it an attractive combination.

i really like the blue and green hulls showcased in this thread, very nice.

shipshape wrote:the clipper is almost ready for painting .... Is anyone there with a dark hull and white cabin, we would love to have a look at pictures
If you can talk Headhustler into it, he seems to be a whiz with Photoshop.* If you post a good clean shot of your boat I bet he can change the hull color to anything you want to try.* You might PM him to see if he'll do this for you.

Now, why is it that most work (commercial) boats have dark hulls and most toy(recreational) boats have white hulls?

Probably because dark paint doesn't show dirt and scum and rust and fish guts and scrapes and dings and scratches and puke as readily as white hulls. Notice also that commercial boats don't have shiny dark hulls, they have matte dark hulls. Same reason--- matte finish doesn't show dirt and scum and rust and fish guts.....

Great!* My workboat-like trawler should then be*in character*with any*"dirt and scum and rust and fish guts and scrapes and dings and scratches and puke."

Depends. Do have a glossy paint finish or a matte finish? If it's matte, then you're right in there with the real men. If it's glossy, sorry, it's still a toy boat, wannabe windows and all.
smile.gif

Marin wrote:

Depends. Do have a glossy paint finish or a matte finish? If it's matte, then you're right in there with the real men. If it's glossy, sorry, it's still a toy boat, wannabe windows and all.
smile.gif
Stirrer................ !

"If it's glossy, sorry,
"

The simplest solution to obtaining a working finish is to roll the paint on ,

and forgetabout any tipping .

Marin wrote:If it's glossy, sorry, it's still a toy boat, wannabe windows and all.
smile.gif

LOL

We had a 36 ft sailboat* with a dark blue hull, it was very dificult to keep up. The hull got very hot in our summer by mid morning the boat turned into an oven as the suns rays also bounce off the water , i call it " two suns".

As always colors are a personal choice, *however i will tell you if you scratch a blue / black hull you will see your original white showing through.

The other point i want to make is that dark colors do fade and loose their original luster over time *please go on Awlgrip web page for some more advice and opinions
you may e mail the ceo he will respond .
A fun project is, take a picture of your boat *the color several prints *with a felt marker pen.
i did that *trick with my house plans
Donald
Mainship 400
Andromeda

Mine is black now
smile.gif

Attachments

• dsc02287.jpg
    dsc02287.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 55
Looks good.*
thumbsup.gif
* Your vessel no longer looks like every other ubiquitous white-hulled boats.

Very nice, SS. CC's right, it really makes it look like a different boat. I like it very much. Maybe I should consider burgundy? Gray? Hmmmmm...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom