House Bank Batt Charger Breakdown

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Newmar makes a 40 amp ($625) and an 80 amp ($1,150) ignition protected charger. BTW, the 80 amp draws 12 amps 120 VAC. Something to consider in your AC load management.

Ted

Thanks, Ted - I'm looking into Newmar now.

Art, I`ve an ancient OEM Newmar ferro resonant. I only use it on the hook,I`m there to turn it on and off, it works well enough. Having solar I don`t leave the boat on shorepower when docked (unless pulling down the eutectic fridges), no need for battery charging, solar sees to that. I know there are better modern chargers, even my solar ones are 4 stage. If replacing mine, I`d expect to update to a multistage, probably no other option new. A used one might be a possibility.

If you are cruising and spend much time on the hook, 40A charging is pretty wimpy as it probably does 25A most of the time.

A pulley on the noisemaker with a truck 135A alt and a smart 3-4 step Volt regulator might cut the charge times in half , and keep the batts at a higher charge level for longer life.

Plugged into a marina 20A should take care of the DC loads while you are onboard , and with almost unlimited time charge the house just fine.

Bay Pelican has a 20 amp charger which will accept both European 220v and North Amerivan 110v current. Have used it repeatedly over the years to charge the batteries in European current marinas while operating the bulk of the appliances on the inverter 110v output. Over the course of 24 hours the 20 amp charger is able to keep up with our daily power needs. Did the same on the Erie Canal where the only power was from a 15 amp plug run through an extension cord.

"Did the same on the Erie Canal where the only power was from a 15 amp plug run through an extension cord."

It is excellent when a cruiser can be fully powered (except air cond) with just a 15A supply.

If you are cruising and spend much time on the hook, 40A charging is pretty wimpy as it probably does 25A most of the time.

A pulley on the noisemaker with a truck 135A alt and a smart 3-4 step Volt regulator might cut the charge times in half , and keep the batts at a higher charge level for longer life.

Plugged into a marina 20A should take care of the DC loads while you are onboard , and with almost unlimited time charge the house just fine.

That's why I'm looking into 60 or even 80A chargers. That said... we are extremely frugal using power off House Batt Bank. 40A when charger was running correctly did well via running gen set hour plus in morning and evening while at anchor. It's a rather small, very old (about 14" wide x 24" tall - ? - Can be seen on avatar) solar panel on fly bridge front that charges gen set batt. Thinking of plastering bridge front with new panels that charge house bank too. Be great while out and about or at anchor... what we do nearly every time visiting boat. However, solar is null and void while boat is in covered slip; where it always rests waiting for our return. :thumb:

Art

Why not leave your boat plugged in while at the marina? I trust you leave power on at your house when you're at the boat.

Actually, upon further investigation, no , they don't. They make combos,or just inverters. Charles Industies marine makes just a battery charger.They are known to be of very high quality(such as transformers).That combined with a magnum inverter only seems like a winning hand.
HQ_chargers.jpg

Dunno why you would go that route. If you want an inverter and a charger just get a Magnum all in one. Magnum is at least the quality of the Charles. Coincidently, I have both on my boat!!!

Art

Why not leave your boat plugged in while at the marina? I trust you leave power on at your house when you're at the boat.

Boat and house are two completely different entities with completely different electricity conduction needs/circumstances, that sit on two completely different electricity conduits, i.e. water and dry ground.

I unplug boat to limit metal corrosions as well as galvanization occurrences. I also completely isolate the DC batts before leaving boat.

Could say that I leave boat's parts completely isolated from all electric connections... that I possibly can.

Last edited:
Dunno why you would go that route. If you want an inverter and a charger just get a Magnum all in one. Magnum is at least the quality of the Charles. Coincidently, I have both on my boat!!!

I'm not a big fan of combo anything. Read recently that there were problems with one manufacturer(don't think it was Magnum) that a problem occurred disabling both functions. While I realize space could be an issue, I am a KISS kind of person. One unit = one function. Troubleshooting seems to be much easier, still retain second function, etc. Costs are increased, as well as expensive real estate, but that is the price I am willing to pay. But that is me, not everyone.:rolleyes:

Tinped

Not sure a separate 130 amp charger and a 3000 watt inverter are simpler or cheaper than a combo unit. Then there is the space factor. Granted there are some brands of combo units that are crummy, but some if not most are very good.

My take is the quality and good design of the overall install or lack thereof creates most of the issues we encounter. Plus, there are so many ways to do an inverter combo or separate setup correctly, no best way IMHO.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom