Best choice ........

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm not sure I'd want to go out on a 25 G 35 day unless I had to and then yes, you'd want the boat that can handle it ....... Never been but does the loop involve that level of weather .....??

My point is that no one intends to go out in that much of the time...but if caught in the stream on the way to the Bahamas, or in many of the open patches of the ICW, the boat should meet minimums.

If they can handle one with a decent captain, they can probably handle the other...which was Capt Bills original point.

What's a 25 G 35 day??

Oh horse hockey!

It's only 50 miles to Bimini from Fort Lauderdale.

On good days people have crossed on Wave Runners.

The smallest boat I've crossed in and continued on into the Bahamas with was a 24' long outboard powered boat.

Almost every "loop boat" could manage it just fine with a little basic planning and an eye on the weather.

Wifey B: :thumb: Really you just walk out the door, jump in the boat and Bimini is like in our back yard. Rough only if you consider 2-3' rough. :rolleyes:

"But I certainly wouldn't 'advise' someone that 'any boat that can do the loop is capable of a Gulf Stream Crossing'. Those are not necessarily synonymous."

Not much difference in the weather most folks wait for to cross.

Aluminum frames vs old wood frames is meaningless if the window is 1/4 inch glass.

Both will need storm shutters with a good survey of the PH structure if one wants to cross at a "bad" time.

I'm, assuming Fly W means its blowing 25 knots with gusts to 35 ........ Heavy breeze! Depending on the sea scape (wind direction & tide), thats a messy situation ...... For me, I'm staying on the mooring ..........

sure...but too many believe in 99 to 100 percentile risk management...

my thoughts are if I get caught in a bad thunderstorm or unforecast clear air gusty conditions, turn back, endure with extra preparations, or just gut it out.

I will accept getting caught 1 in 50 crossings or a few more where it is more than just unpleasant but not unsurvivable, as I posted before, whether just the ACIW or the Bahamas run, the boat shouldn't be falling apart.

To each their own. But I certainly wouldn't 'advise' someone that 'any boat that can do the loop is capable of a Gulf Stream Crossing'. Those are not necessarily synonymous.

I believe I said "Almost every", not "any" in my statement.

Which I still stand behind.

Crossing the Gulf Stream going to the Bahamas only requires the winds to not be strong from the North.

The current of a couple of knots and a North wind can create very steep waves.

Some claim square waves!

A similar breeze from the south might get bumpy , but a 13Ft Boston Whaler would still do the trip with safety.

Back
Top Bottom