House Bank Batt Charger Breakdown

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Art

Guru
Vessel Make
Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Our 1977 Tollycraft has good ol' Professional Mariner, 40 amp, 120 v single stage, house bank battery charger. Well... she went caput this Labor Day week on the water. So... batts no longer can be charged via using gen set, but rather with starboard motor's alternator.

All n' all that's OK if/when cruising for hour or more... but pia (and uses more fuel) when needing to run stbd engine every day while at anchor. That's what we did during mostly anchored days... while swimming, relaxing, and BBQing during this seven day vacation.

I'm seeking another really good single stage (in other words "on" or "off" full out put mode) battery charger. Would like to get into the 60 amp charger category this time. Don't know if single stage (on/off by breaker switch) chargers are even made anymore??

Reason for single stage is because we never leave our boat plugged into dock while away form it for any period longer than couple hours, and, we only want a charger on or off when we flip it's switch.

Any suggestions on the best quality "single stage" batt chargers??? The one that just went caput is 39 yrs used this year... pretty darn good if you ask me! Of course it might be the regulator that went bad... but what the heck... after 39 years a new charger is in the offing!

Photos show elect panel's gauges, charge amp inputs via engine alternator and via old charger. Seven year old wet cell House Bank reached well over 100% charge and settled down to 100% couple hours later.

Attachments

• Elect Pnl - Gen Set On.jpg
    Elect Pnl - Gen Set On.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 39
  • Multi Meter 14.13 - Stbd Eng Chg House.jpg
    Multi Meter 14.13 - Stbd Eng Chg House.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 49
  • Multi meter 12.78 - Chg House.jpg
    Multi meter 12.78 - Chg House.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 47
Dunno about single-stage chargers, but just about any 3-stage charger will probably work like a single if you flip the breaker manually.

Usually they sense a charge is needed and go directly into "full output mode" right away... and only enter the other stages after bulk/absorption charge has run its course.

-Chris

Even when at the dock I'd say it's a good idea to have multi-stage...
do you have a SOC meter to know when to keep charging and you are at 100% and can shut off the single stage?

Occasional top off w/ a good multi-stage charger will prolong batt'y life and pay for itself over time

If you add a charger monitor - option w/ many multi stage chargers - you can monitor charge cycle and know when to turn it off if that's what you want

When my engine runs the battery is charged off of the alternator. When shorepower is connected to the battery charger circuit then the battery charger charges the battery.

How did you get the Stbd engine to send power to the battery charger?? The setup sounds to me like your alternator was charging the battery bank on anchor.

When my engine runs the battery is charged off of the alternator. When shorepower is connected to the battery charger circuit then the battery charger charges the battery.

How did you get the Stbd engine to send power to the battery charger?? The setup sounds to me like your alternator was charging the battery bank on anchor.

If I understand your post correctly, perhaps this will help: Two Engine/Alternator System

If I understand your post correctly, perhaps this will help: Two Engine/Alternator System

I must be an idiot because that doesn't clear things up at all.

I assume whether it is a single alternator or multiple alternator with a Dual Alternator Controller (DAC) it would still be either 12vdc or 24vdc.

The post discusses a 120vac battery charger. Are you saying these are 120vac alternators powering a 120v battery charger putting 12vdc back into the battery bank??

Sentence from my OP. "So... batts no longer can be charged via using gen set, but rather with starboard motor's alternator.

Didn't mean to have it sound as though stbd engine's alternator was charging through the boats batt charger - that only activates via gen set or shore pwr. You're correct... "alternator was charging the battery bank on anchor." With stbd eng running!

Even when at the dock I'd say it's a good idea to have multi-stage...
do you have a SOC meter to know when to keep charging and you are at 100% and can shut off the single stage?

Occasional top off w/ a good multi-stage charger will prolong batt'y life and pay for itself over time

If you add a charger monitor - option w/ many multi stage chargers - you can monitor charge cycle and know when to turn it off if that's what you want

I keep things real simple. My SOC = Good Multi Meters with light up displays... wired directly into batt bank. Two upper level locations, each with same type quality meter. One in the salon and one in master stateroom. That way I know with flick of a switch what level my bank is at. And, can check accuracy of either meter against one another; with a third same type meter sitting unattached in engine compartment, right at the batt bank, for hands on batt level checkup if needed.

I'm going to begin googling my way through marine charger availabilities. What is/are the best quality charger manufacturer?

Thanks all for your assistance!

Art :speed boat:

Sorry,what confused me was the statement concerning the starboard engine,as opposed to charging off the port engine.Not all alternators for the purpose of charging are installed on the starboard engine.I also figured the engine running part was a given.

Confirmation of my idiocy. I glossed over that last line in the first paragraph. Makes a huge difference!!!

Art, look into Magnum Energy chargers. They are actually 4 stages....sort of. The 4th stage is not really a stage but it actually takes the charge off of the batteries and does not "float" all the time. Periodically, it will test the batteries and if they are still at top charge, they will not apply a charge. If they need a charge, they will apply it. This will add to the life of your batteries by not having a float charge on them 24/7...at least, in theory. Now the question is, does Magnum make a charger ONLY without an inverter portion...I do not know and I am inclined to say NO. But it is top notch high quality stuff...and the price reflects that.

The post discusses a 120vac battery charger. Are you saying these are 120vac alternators powering a 120v battery charger putting 12vdc back into the battery bank??
And lets not go here. The alternators do not feed the battery charger, they are in parallel. The shore power would feed the charger,or the genny could thru the inverter.Input 120vac,output 12/24v dc. A 120v alternator(while the name is possible,is usually referred to as a generator.It would have to step down,and invert to dc.Big power loss.

Actually, upon further investigation, no , they don't. They make combos,or just inverters. Charles Industies marine makes just a battery charger.They are known to be of very high quality(such as transformers).That combined with a magnum inverter only seems like a winning hand.
HQ_chargers.jpg

And lets not go here. The alternators do not feed the battery charger, they are in parallel. The shore power would feed the charger,or the genny could thru the inverter.Input 120vac,output 12/24v dc. A 120v alternator(while the name is possible,is usually referred to as a generator.It would have to step down,and invert to dc.Big power loss.

Hi,
Just to make life interesting;

My house bank consists of 9 only 12 volt/200 ah batteries
The tag on the power supply on the main engine reads
Davidson Alternator
128 volt 80 amp

also has a LaMarche Constavolt powered by shore power
or generator.

Ted

It's very important to point out here that Art has GASSERS! Many chargers including the Iota are not to be used in gasoline engine ER's.

Art, you seem intent to maintain the 1970's technology in your boat. Voltmeters vs. SOC, single-stage charger vs. multi-stage chargers. It's going to be hard to find operating, old technology equipment in our modern world. There's a reason folks have moved to 3- and 4-stage chargers...because they work.

I have a single bank Iota DLS-55/IQ4 that works well on my diesel boat. It was affordable (under $250) and with a switched Yandina Combiner, is able to share the charge with my start battery. But it cannot be mounted in your ER. Here's a quote from Iota in their installation manual.

DO NOT mount the unit in a zero clearance compartment.
DO NOT mount the DLS in the same compartment with flammable
items such as gasoline or batteries. There are no components within
the DLS unit that, during normal operation, produce arcs or sparks.
However, all electronic devices have some potential for generating
sparks in the event of failure which can result in explosion or fire.
DO NOT mount the DLS in an area that has the potential of dust,
debris, or other foreign materials to enter in through the DLS vents.
DO NOT place the DLS directly above the battery; the gases from
the battery can corrode and damage the DLS.

Alternators are not limited to 12/24 output, in fact there are many configs. available, but the use on rec. boats is normally limited to a 12/24 dc output need. I was just trying to limit the conversation to this forums realm. Output with DC is usually referred to as an alternator, AC is normally referred to as a gen.,but an alternator by def. is a generator. Produces electricity by mechanical means.

I believe the keyword would be ignition protected when it comes to gas , please correct me if I'm wrong.

Your multimeter needs a new battery:)

It's very important to point out here that Art has GASSERS! Many chargers including the Iota are not to be used in gasoline engine ER's.

Art, you seem intent to maintain the 1970's technology in your boat. Voltmeters vs. SOC, single-stage charger vs. multi-stage chargers. It's going to be hard to find operating, old technology equipment in our modern world. There's a reason folks have moved to 3- and 4-stage chargers...because they work.

Al - You are pretty much correct on all counts. However, on the bold counts there are reasons why I stay old school.

1. Simplicity - - > KISS is my mantra... especially on boats!
2. Reduced charger/readout breakdowns, due to reduced parts and complexities.
3. I don't keep boat plugged in when not on board for more than couple hours (for corrosion reasons I isolate all batts and also isolate boat from dock). I don't leave gen set running when not at boat. Therefore, all I need is on/off full-tilt-bogie charger input when I feel, from multi meter reading, that house bank batts need to be topped off. I don't often let them get much past 60% reserve amps before bringing em back-up to 100% charge. Due to that fact - Many more cycles provided by deep cycle wet cell batts than if deeper discharge is allowed
4. Affordability at onset and over the long run. Don't forget - single stage charger currently failing is 39 yrs old and multi meters work just as well with new single stage charger installed.

That said: We'll see what I settle upon.

Thanks to all for your input. :thumb:

Art, I'm not seeing a 60 +/- amp charger ignition protected from a respected company. My thought would be to consider mounting the charger out of the engine room, maybe near the switch panel, where you might be able to see it. Then it wouldn't need to be ignition protected. In that case either a Charles or an Iota would be a good choice.

Ted

Art, I'm not seeing a 60 +/- amp charger ignition protected from a respected company. My thought would be to consider mounting the charger out of the engine room, maybe near the switch panel, where you might be able to see it. Then it wouldn't need to be ignition protected. In that case either a Charles or an Iota would be a good choice.

Ted

Thanks, Ted

That's what I mentioned to Linda when the 1977 Professional Mariner charger blew this past week. Only real reason I'd rather have one that is ignition protected and have it in the ER/compartment is I don't want to take up any sole space in boat's salon. Guess I could fit it inside a nice, well ventilated wood-cased stand that simply elevates our auto open/close stainless steel trash receptacle - we call her Sally! :D

How about a Newmar? Surely they are ignition protected. Was the failed one a ferro-resonant type?

Newmar makes a 40 amp ($625) and an 80 amp ($1,150) ignition protected charger. BTW, the 80 amp draws 12 amps 120 VAC. Something to consider in your AC load management.

Ted

Back
Top Bottom