What Do You Pay For Or Do Yourself

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I just paid to have the sanitary hoses to the holding tank replaced. They were 35 years old, covered in good, and stunk. The job turned out to be fairly simple. Still, it was well worth the 8 hours of labor. Odor problem resolved! And, toilets seem to flush better but that could be my imagination.

The boat is a toy and I enjoy every minute of working on it.
I did have to pay a yard to replace the fuel tanks but everything else I've got covered.
When it stops being fun she'll have to go.

Well, we'll see what is possible next spring when my new shoulder is 5 months old (going for the chop on 20 October).

I used to do everything on cars: bodywork, mechanical, exhausts. I do no car work any more.

I still do nearly everything while rebuilding our 1857 house (though we hired a contractor for the back porch / sunroom rebuild): carpentry, cabinet building, electrical, stonework, plaster, stucco, plumbing, painting, concrete and stone flooring, ceramic tile, heating system distribution piping, making/restoring windows. It's nearly finished so less work is anticipated. The barn does not touch the ground as much as appropriate, though.

I do some furniture making. More planned now that the house is nearly done: master bed, cabinets for the 850+ Ampico piano rolls, dining room table leaves. About time I make a chair!

I've restored a 1950's Flying Dutchman sailboat: veneer, deck, frames, stringers, thwart, kick-up rudder, centerboard, hardware. Two more FD reside in the barn.

I did all work required on the Morgan 27, including new engine mounts, sole, new chainplates, custom sewn items/covers, and the rest of the normal stuff, for the years we owned her.

I did all work required on the LeComte Northeast 38, including anchor winch, total rebuild of the head, interior woodwork, winch bases, clean-up PO wiring, water system and the rest...until we put her on the market (where she still is BTW).

We bought the trawler in January '16, due to our age-related decrepitude. Others will do seasonal engine maintenance, save for checkups and emergencies. Others will paint the bottom and winterize her. I will (attempt) to do all other maintenance and improvements, custom woodwork. I have done the new mast, dinghy and kayak davits, electric toilet, flybridge ladder.

Other than the annual haul & block the only thing I have ever paid for was to have the marina lift out an engine and lift in the new one when I repowered my ex Mainship.

Wifey B: I refuse to answer on the grounds it may incriminate me. :angel:

I've done a few basic things or helped just to see how it's done, like clean the teak. I know how to do engine checks and change fuel filters. But mostly I do nothing in regards to maintenance. :hide::surrender::blush::eek: And the other B does as much as me.....:rofl:

And I don't feel bad about it and make no apologies for it. :nonono:

And I'm sure this surprises no one here. :)

Oh, and just because I don't do it, doesn't mean I don't know anything about it.

I do most everything myself. Except, during a reporter, I had a yard pull out my old engine and install new. They wired up to a temporary helm, and ran new fuel lines. Had a machinist make a coupling/flex adapter. They gave me a key and allowed me to work on my boat after hours and on weekends.

It's a hobby. Working on the boat is a big part of the fun for me.

Wifey B: I refuse to answer on the grounds it may incriminate me. :angel:

And I'm sure this surprises no one here. :)

Oh, and just because I don't do it, doesn't mean I don't know anything about it.

:eek: Ok, not really. ;)

I'm trying to visualize a man saying that last sentence in front of the mother of his children, when asked about child birth. :rolleyes:

Ted

Other than bottom paint, we do everything on the boat. Heck, when we had our sailboat, we even replaced all the standing rigging ourselves (did have a rigger make up the wire and fittings). We do it not only becuase it saves us money, but also becuase I enjoy most projects and I want to know everything about the boat. We did pay to have some work done on the current boat while it was still in Florida, but that was primarily because it wouldn't be delivered here until November, at which point it is getting rather cold to do outside projects. If we ever decided to paint a boat, that I would pay for, mostly becuase we don't have the faciliities or equipment (we paid to have our hull inset painted when we bought the Tug).

I do what I can (and must) to keep her running and current on all maintenance items. I will hire out those items that require special skills, knowledge or tools that I do not possess. I sand and varnish the brightwork, but admit that I've been playing more and working less these last couple of years. Having a covered slip and window canvas allows for some delayed attention in those areas, but my doors are shot and in need of rework.

Most upgrades and improvement mods I've made to FlyWright get done by me. If I lack some skills or tooling that can be provided by a pro, I'll hire and work with him. I hired a mechanic to work with me to install my Balmar alternator and regulator. Now that I've done it with a pro, I know what's required and will be able to handle that job myself next time. As I ponder upgrading MFD/radar/fishfinder, I might find myself looking for help with transducer mounting and cable running. That may involve calling friends and stocking up on beer and pizza. (topic for another thread)

As far as bottom paint is concerned, I seem to have an insurance claim every 3-4 years that so far has provided full bottom paint coverage (PI). It's not like I'm out there looking to hit something or positioning myself so others can run into me, but it happens. Truth be told, I'd rather pay for those bottom jobs myself than have to deal with the damage and repairs of an accident. But my boat has emerged from every accident repair as a better boat, so I'm not complaining. I do hire a diver to handle the quarterly bottom cleaning and replace my eroding zincs. (topic for another thread)

I don't want to curse myself, but I'm now starting to feel like I've got this boat where I want her....dialed in, if you will...for my intended uses and comfort. I have a few upgrades left to complete, but the ability to support myself in comfort for 14 days while unplugged from any marinas has been proven. Having the tools, knowledge and ability to maintain the boat on my own goes a long way to allowing this to occur. I'm feeling like this is a significant step for a small coastal cruiser like this 34 Californian. Probably not a big deal for a passage-making Nordy or Selene or Krogen, but it's a big leap for me and my lil' boat.

Fun thread to read.

We have done the following:
  • Reupholstery
  • Recarpet
  • Refinish countertops
  • Repaint deck
  • Repaint topsides
  • Install electronics
  • Dive bottom and scrape barnacles
  • Oil changes
  • Wax and bufff
  • Other basic repairs

We pay for the following:
  • Difficult or large repairs
  • Bottom Paint
  • Anything that requires a haul-out
  • Major repairs

I make "to do" lists for paid professionals to perform. :blush: I'll do easy, non-frustrating, non-technical tasks such as topping off the steering fluid or changing Racor filters.

Pay to haul. Pay for prop work, but i try not to need it. Pay to have the aftercooler serviced once a year and pay to have the valves adjusted every 2 years. Otherwise i generally do it all on the electrical system, engine, generator, two outboards, two ac units and 6 batteries.

Well, we'll see what is possible next spring when my new shoulder is 5 months old (going for the chop on 20 October).

Welcome to the club. Two days ago I was five months into my new Total Shoulder. The first few months are pretty rough. The best advice I can give you is to take the physical therapy very, very seriously and do it all. It's not pleasant. Don't give up. It will get better, you will regain motion/strength/utility, but it takes time, patience, and grit. I was told it will take a full year to get back whatever strength/mobility/utility I will ever get, and I believe that's good guidance. I've come a long way, but I hope I'll get a lot better in the next 7 months. I'm determined. Best wishes for a successful outcome!!!

Last edited:
Mine is now four months old and I cannot believe the difference. Able to work with my right hand (I am right hand dominant) now whereas before it was actually painful to reach for something.

Good luck and do your exercises.

As I get older, this list seems to grow, qoute ( Anything where the after-action effect will be that I can't walk, can't sit or stand up straight, can't bend my arms, can't move my fingers, etc.), while this list seems to shrink, quote ( If I know how to do X, have the tools, and it won't hurt me, I'll probably do it.)

Holy Crap! Am I the only one who doesn't compound and wax?

I've compounded and waxed my boat every spring since I bought it, but I might paint it next spring.

So far I have done everything on my boat including a lot of rewiring, new electronics, swapped a transmission, replaced cutlass bearings, heat exchangers, bottom painting, winterizing etc. I think about the only thing I probably wouldn't do is inside the engine work and of course injector pump work. I also wouldn't do major glass work but hopefully will never have to worry about that.

I couldn't really afford the boat if I had to pay for everything but then I actually prefer doing the work myself.

Ken

Last edited:
Other than hauling and blocking, the only thing I've paid for is engine alignment after installing new motor mounts. That is voodoo science near as I can tell.

As I get older, this list seems to grow, qoute ( Anything where the after-action effect will be that I can't walk, can't sit or stand up straight, can't bend my arms, can't move my fingers, etc.), while this list seems to shrink, quote ( If I know how to do X, have the tools, and it won't hurt me, I'll probably do it.)

I hear that. My scenario's getting to be: work on the boat Saturday and Sunday; see the doctor Monday or Tuesday. This time it was my lower back, after picking up a god-awful heavy battery the wrong way and hauling it down a long stairway from our sun deck to ground level. Getting old sucks! :mad:

I'm trying to visualize a man saying that last sentence in front of the mother of his children, when asked about child birth. :rolleyes:

Ted

Wifey B: Or anyone imagining kidney stones. Or torn ACL's or worse. I don't think we can imagine any pain we haven't experienced. But some of the boat things I've done just enough to know and that's it. :)

I've never changed a flat tire either. I figure I could do it, clear instructions, but don't figure I'd ever have to do it myself. :socool:

No child birth for me so I don't know how it feels either. :nonono:

We're both so lucky that we've never experienced real physical pain. Only surgery either of us has had was wisdom teeth. :)

I took a sportfishing boat which I purchased as salvage from the 2005 hurricane season in Florida and stripped it down to a bare, damaged fiberglass hull. I mean EVERYTHING was removed and replaced brand new. I did the complete refit, renovation with many new customizations by myself. So, needless to say, I don't pay to have anything done other than a haul-out! I'm sure as my body begins to lag behind my mind's good intentions, I will eventually succumb to paying for services only to go behind them and do the right way!

I find it interesting how many of you enjoy working on your boats. I know many are retired with limited budgets but I know others are working and in professions where they could go work two hours and pay for eight hours of labor on their boat. I know people with the same love of it. We know a couple with a Viking that is in perfect condition and they just look for things to do to it. It's like people with Classic cars and you get concerned some are going to wax their car to death.

That might be an adjunct question and that is "If money was a complete non-issue (which it never is), what work would you still do on your boat as opposed to paying for it?"

I'm still working 5 to 6 days a week in our own business ( real estate and vacation rentals on Dauphin Island AL.) at least during the spring and summer months. I'm also 71 and not as flexible. About all I do are the routine fluid checks, checking and cleaning strainers, filling water tanks, changing Racor filters and general cleaning of boat. I do have a good all-around mechanic who helps me with most of the mechanical and electrical repairs and maintenance. Money matters but so does my limited cruising time. I could certainly do more but choose to use others I trust when available. Heck, maybe I'm just lazier these days and would rather be cruising or at anchor rather than sweating it out in the engine room. For large projects I turn to one of the local boat yards such as Saunders in Gulf Shores. The are currently removing my very tired teak deck and will be installing a new alwgrip non skid surface. I'll put up some photos fairly soon on this/their project.

Last edited:
I've had my boat ONE WEEK. This far I've stripped a screw removing a defunct smoke detector, got stuck in the engine room twice and couldn't turn around and gashed my head open coming up a hatch.

I'm sorely thinking of having a yard do everything......

But, having a blast!

Last edited:
Or to rephrase -Qoute (That might be an adjunct question and that is "If money was a complete non-issue (which it never is), what work would you still do on your boat as opposed to paying for it?" ), " If your body was still like a twenty year,but with the knowledge you have now"- answer,all of it :)

Bandb, I do spend that lazy idle time thinking about all those things I could be doing... Then about who I can get to do it. That's inventive, right?

That might be an adjunct question and that is "If money was a complete non-issue (which it never is), what work would you still do on your boat as opposed to paying for it?"

When my boat breaks, I need to be able to fix it. There are a lot of places where getting repairs done or a tow isn't going to be simple. I may not be able to rebuild the helm pump, but I know everything about my steering which will allow me to isolate the pump, bleed the system, and go home on the autopilot. I may not want to work on the Vacuflush in the Bahamas, but my guests probably won't want to use a bucket if the head breaks. Doing much of the mechanical, electrical, and electronic work gives me the knowledge and experience to do the repairs and have the spare parts on board. I'm very big on preventative maintenance, but things can still fail. I'd rather have my morning ruined fixing the head, than my whole week with a broken head.

Ted

When my boat breaks, I need to be able to fix it. There are a lot of places where getting repairs done or a tow isn't going to be simple. I may not be able to rebuild the helm pump, but I know everything about my steering which will allow me to isolate the pump, bleed the system, and go home on the autopilot. I may not want to work on the Vacuflush in the Bahamas, but my guests probably won't want to use a bucket if the head breaks. Doing much of the mechanical, electrical, and electronic work gives me the knowledge and experience to do the repairs and have the spare parts on board. I'm very big on preventative maintenance, but things can still fail. I'd rather have my morning ruined fixing the head, than my whole week with a broken head.

Ted

We could do many of the critical things if forced to and if it was beyond our knowledge we'd have someone quickly on a cam to tell us what to do. However, we have gotten training in the primary things that can shut you down. The head, we understand and have the manuals but not something we've practiced doing.

I mean I don't pay someone to do it and I don't do it myself! It ain't done on FlyWright. It's the way we roll.

Much in agreement here - that is if I read you correctly?!?! Which I think I do!!

Couple years ago Pineapple Girl and I agreed similarly on some thread... basically said... use it or lose it! In other words - She's still fine, even if no shine!! :dance:

Or to rephrase -Qoute (That might be an adjunct question and that is "If money was a complete non-issue (which it never is), what work would you still do on your boat as opposed to paying for it?" ), " If your body was still like a twenty year,but with the knowledge you have now"- answer,all of it :)

I considered my financial capability, technical knowledge, aging body, and interests when budgeting the boat's repair and maintenance needs. My hobbies do not include fixing things.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom