Summer screens

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Please excuse the drift, I`ve seen pics of boats with them, you have them, can you answer the obvious? Do they rattle?

We have wooden blinds on our boat and they are attached to the wall at the bottom so they don't rattle. They can be opened or closed (slats slanted), but not raised without disconnecting them at the bottom.

Also, love the recently added post about the double snaps. I wonder how hard it would be to replace regular snaps?

If screen attachments are inside , one could look at Warm Shades to cover the glass when the temperature falls.

Insulated Shade Systems | Insulated Window Shades | Insulated ...

www.solar-components.com/quilts.htm
Warm Window shades combine fashion and function while considering your needs for comfort, style and energy savings. These insulating curtains dramatically ...
Images for warm shades window coveringReport images

More images for warm shades window covering
Warm Windows:How the Warm Window System Works: Cozy Curtains

cozycurtains.com › About

Warm Window energy efficient curtains and shades consists of four layers of different types of fabric that are sewn together in 4″ wide horizontal channels.
Insulated Curtains & Window Shades: Missoula, MT: Cozy Curtains

Last edited:
We have wooden blinds on our boat and they are attached to the wall at the bottom so they don't rattle. They can be opened or closed (slats slanted), but not raised without disconnecting them at the bottom.

Also, love the recently added post about the double snaps. I wonder how hard it would be to replace regular snaps?

Hi

In Antibes (rather expensive place), my upholstery charged me 100 euros to replacing 97 single snaps with new double-snaps within 1 day. Not bad at all.

Olivier

Greetings,
Along similar lines...I intend to put screens/covers on our boat BUT is it best to attach the male snaps to the cabin side just outside the external window frame on the cabin sides or on the window frame (teak) itself? I'm leaning towards a frame mount as the snaps will be less noticeable when the covering is off. Any advantages either way? Thanks.

Greetings,
Along similar lines...I intend to put screens/covers on our boat BUT is it best to attach the male snaps to the cabin side just outside the external window frame on the cabin sides or on the window frame (teak) itself? I'm leaning towards a frame mount as the snaps will be less noticeable when the covering is off. Any advantages either way? Thanks.

Bonjour RT Firefly

Window frames of Lutin are in teak as well.

Allow me to advice you to attach the male snaps outside the external window frame on the cabin sides instead of on the window frame itself :

1) This way would be much "bugs proof".

2) Teak is too much soft hardwood (medium density) to attach the male snaps which may be ripped off if someone would pull too hard on the screen / cover. I asked my upholstery to attach all male snaps outside of the frames but this was not possible on the front central window of the salon for the reason it is tilting window. The result of this was one male snap ripped off when my daughter pulled out the cover some months ago. (Last picture). My crew man fixed the issue with wood pulp, sanded and painted the whole frame, 3 working hours !

3) The screen / cover will protect paint or varnish of your teak frames from UV light aggression.

4) As a precaution, I don't like holes drilled in my window frames.

I asked as well the upholstery to reinforcing the border of each screen with a strip of soft polyvinyl fabric to more firmly hold the female snaps (now all double-snaps here) and to protect the screens from friction on the frame of the windows (picture attached).

I hope this would help you.

Olivier

Attachments

• 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 62
  • 02.jpg
    02.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 69
  • 03.jpg
    03.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 60
  • 05.jpg
    05.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 67
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 70
RT - we did cabin sides. This way if you ever remove the snap, you can fill with epoxy. Filling in the teak may be more difficult. Plus, if your windows were inclined to leak (not that yours are).....having the entire window covered will help lower that risk.

With a bit of effort before the covers are made they can fit outside , to stop the heat , or inside for privacy.

I have these. They work well
Use mild soap to clean. Harsh cleaners will remove dye and yellow the screens.

Back
Top Bottom