Old 03-30-2011, 12:04 PM   #15
Conrad
Guru

City: Calgary
Vessel Name: Blue Sky
Vessel Model: Nordic Tugs 42 Hull #001
RE: New Dinghy help

Quote:
Phil Fill wrote:Over the years we have stuck with Livingstons as they are very stable, I can stand on the gunnels, do not sink, can be drag/run it up on rocks/concrete shore and last for decades. A couple of years ago we bought a used center consol 12 ft Livingston, with a 4 hp Merc, and a 25 hp Merc.* Most summer I wash/polish the water side standing on the gunnels of the Livingston.
We also have a hard bottom rowing/sailing 12 ft dink that I let the grandchildren play with for the last 14 years which they have beaten and swamped many times.* Each spring I repair the dings, repaint it and its ready for another summer of abuse.* In the summer I like to row around the marina, we have not sailed it for years, so we have a 3 hp OB on it.*
If you buy an inflatable make sure you do not over load it and/or too much HP as the transom will flex.* Most leaks are where the tube and the transom are glued together.* Very hard and expensive to fix.* If seem most boaters that have an expensive/fancy inflatable treat them with kid gloves.* **
So if you want a dink that will last for decades, stable, unsinkable, and will take almost anything, then get a Livingston or at least an all fiberglass/plastic dink.*
*Completely agree Phil Fill. Especially in these parts where barnacles, rocks, and oyster beds are such a part of the boating experience.*

FF's idea of an aluminum dinghy is also worth considering, provided that it is made of the correct material (I don't remember the specs, but some aluminum alloys have a very short shelf/stern platform life.)

The Livingston & Pudgy are two examples of very stable hard dinghies. Plus for a given length the hard dinghy generally will have much more useable interior space over an inflatable.

The only downside to a hard dinghy in my mind is the potential for abrasions on the mother ship.

Conrad is offline   Reply With Quote