Marine Air, air conditioning thermostat?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Donna

Guru
Vessel Name
Southerly
Vessel Make
1986 Marine Trader 36' Sundeck
My forward air conditioner, a Marine Air systems thermostat is registering 101-112 degrees but blowing cold air and is probably about 78 degrees in the main cabin. Could this just be a thermostat issue?

That would be my guess. The display is wrong but the thermostat is otherwise working. Does it cycle on and off to maintain the 78 degrees? Can you use a thermometer to confirm the room temperature?

Where are you seeing that number - on the control pad?

They are notorious for going bad.

If the thermostat is on or very near an outside bulkhead, it may be affected by outside temps more than inside.

-Chris

Yes on the control pad. It just seems to continuously run until I manually shut it down. Shades are closed so no sun or outside air hits it.

Okay, I'll replace the thermostat and see what happens. To think I was going to sand today!

The marine store is now my favorite place!

Yes on the control pad. It just seems to continuously run until I manually shut it down. Shades are closed so no sun or outside air hits it.

Okay, I'll replace the thermostat and see what happens. To think I was going to sand today!

The marine store is now my favorite place!

Google the control pad user manual first. It will have a multi button mode to reset the pad. Try that first as those control pads are pretty expensive - my SMX II pads are ~ 200 each!

I believe you can reset the ambient temp on your control pad. Go into mode settings...P5 if I'm not mistaken.

Could you post a photo of your thermostat?

Silly me, can you post a pic of your control panel?

I'll post a pic when I get to the marina. I never thought of a reset. Thanks!

Shades are closed so no sun or outside air hits it.

We can do that too, of course, but the location of our Marine Air control panel, with integral temp sensor, is on an outside bulkhead... and sunlight on our starboard side can heat up all the airspace in between the hull and the interior bulkhead... so the sensor can be fooled a bit.

Our control panel (Passport II) has a calibration feature (U5) to compensate for that if necessary -- at least to a certain extent.

A total reset might fix it, or a total reset might have caused it... and in that case, maybe a reset with some additional calibration might fix it...

-Chris

Oh boy, I feel a long day coming on! Thank you all!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom